Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,349 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family and I have been looking into relocating to Wilmington, N.C. by next summer. We currenlty live in Southern Maryland. I'm an RN looking to maybe work at New Hanover Regional Medical Center. My husband is a government contractor so won't likely be able to find a job in his field but is willing to work anywhere. We have 2 kids, 7 and 12. We'd like to move before our daughter starts High School. We don't know much about the area. Looking for anyone with information about good neighborhoods, best school districts, maybe info about the hospital. Any help or info would be great.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:29 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephRN View Post
I'm an RN looking to maybe work at New Hanover Regional Medical Center. My husband is a government contractor so won't likely be able to find a job in his field but is willing to work anywhere.
I suggest you search for recent posts by nurses on the pay and availability of jobs at NHRMC. I have also read that they get hundreds of applications from out-of-state residents for every opening.

Unless you have strong reasons for choosing Wilmington, other than just "getting out of Maryland", I suggest developing some alternatives. For example, there are many federal contracting opportunities between Jacksonville and Havelock which would be with the Marines or Navy, and perhaps the husband has skills to fit into one of them. There might jobs with the Coast Guard at Elizabeth City. There are Navy jobs in Charleston, SC, and Marine jobs at Beaufort, SC and St Mary's Georgia.

For the nurse, there could be jobs in Brunswick County, NC or Horry County (Myrtle Beach), SC.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-06-2015 at 08:10 AM..

Old 03-06-2015, 07:36 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,384,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I suggest you search for recent posts by nurses on the pay and availability of jobs at NHRMC.
Its the first linked post in my post right above yours.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephRN View Post
My husband is a government contractor so won't likely be able to find a job in his field but is willing to work anywhere.
We might be able to help further if you provided the husband's job skills. For example, construction skills, accounting or whatever.

The available jobs in Wilmington tend to be in the tourism and hospitality fields.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,195 times
Default boston

Hi my family and I are looking to relocate to the Wilmington area possibly calabash or Carolina shores just looking for some info. looking for a place that has some privacy but not to far from the action will also be looking for a job I currently work in the facilities dept of a private school wondering how the job situation is there as well as the pay scale. coming from the Boston area , any info would be helpful, thanks

Old 03-08-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnick View Post
Hi my family and I are looking to relocate to the Wilmington area possibly calabash or Carolina shores just looking for some info....how the job situation is there as well as the pay scale. coming from the Boston area , any info would be helpful, thanks
Calabash and Carolina Shores are very far from the downtown Wilmington area. They are closer to Myrtle Beach. Both are great areas for retirement, but I think you should scope out the job situation before making any decisions. Calabash is a very small town with only a few thousand people, and it depends heavily on fishing and restaurant tourism in the summer.

The per capita income in Calabash is $23,000. You could compare that figure to a lower-mid income town in the Boston area. For example Bridgewater, where the per capita income is $60,200. I think you could expect your salary offers to be proportional. However, I wish you luck on a job search. You might try hospitals or hotels, or the Coastal Carolina University in the Myrtle Beach area.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-08-2015 at 03:32 PM..

Old 03-10-2015, 06:08 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I just pulled up the crime stats on Wilmington - that is seriously scaring me! - I am so torn on where to move to, want access to water but want SAFE area, I've NEVER had to worry no matter where I've lived.

Sorry to add onto this thread but there are just too many Wilmington threads (NO idea why it doesn't have it's own sub-forum).

Old 03-11-2015, 07:05 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I just pulled up the crime stats on Wilmington - that is seriously scaring me! - I am so torn on where to move to, want access to water but want SAFE area, I've NEVER had to worry no matter where I've lived.

Sorry to add onto this thread but there are just too many Wilmington threads (NO idea why it doesn't have it's own sub-forum).
What the crime stats don't tell you is that crime is mostly localized AND doesn't take into account the temporary guests in the area, which can number as much as 50,000 or more in the summer. The Wilmington ABC stores sell as much as they do in Charlotte and Raleigh even though its much smaller...because when folks go on vacation, they go buy liquor.

And then there are college students that do stupid stuff.

Be careful just looking at stats, you have to know more about the community for those stats to make sense. Outside of the area's around the public housing complexes, there really isn't violent crime in Wilmington...its small stuff that in many cases is not the locals. It's really as safe as anywhere else.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:39 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Thanks for your perspective
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina