Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 PM

12 posts, read 23,334 times

Advertisements

I looked at Summerlin and we just drove in, it is not gated. I loved the courtyard houses but we did not see one other person while we were there. I went twice and it was the same both times. There is no pool. It is a nice place if you are just looking for a home and don't want any amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,548 times
Maybe we should start a Facebook group for Singles moving to Coastal Carolina and singles who have relocated there. What do you think? Then we could all stay in touch, share experience and maybe contact each other when we move. They seem to have a Facebook group for everything else.
I am actually really liking Waterford the more I look into it. Homes are beautiful and seems like active community. I just found out they have lake access. What does anyone know about that.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappylady View Post
Maybe we should start a Facebook group for Singles moving to Coastal Carolina and singles who have relocated there. What do you think? Then we could all stay in touch, share experience and maybe contact each other when we move. They seem to have a Facebook group for everything else.
I am actually really liking Waterford the more I look into it. Homes are beautiful and seems like active community. I just found out they have lake access. What does anyone know about that.
Excellent idea

Old 07-24-2014, 08:54 PM

12 posts, read 23,334 times
Quote:
R

I think that's a good idea too. I am still researching the different places. I think I will end up in Wilmington, that's the plan right now. But not sure where.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:31 AM

5 posts, read 18,151 times
Thanks, Sundaze et al. I think Wilmington is looking better and better. I like living amongst a mix of people and an artsy, welcoming city sounds like a good fit for me.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:43 AM

Wilmington is where I had decided to go as well. I like the variety of ages/people and I know I would end up driving to Wilmington often. If Southport was just a bit closer to Wlmngtn that would be my first pick.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:59 PM

4 posts, read 7,548 times
Does Wilmington have higher taxes than Leland or Southport areas. It seems a little more expensive. I heard about a new reasonably priced community near Southport called Palmetto Creek. Anyone have any comments about it or know someone who lives there. I was told it is a new community by the same developers who did Waterford and compass pointe.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 AM

It's my understanding that New Hanover county (Wilmington) has higher taxes than Brunswick county (Leland, Southport). I can't say what that exact comparison is without looking it up.

edit:

Here's one link that compares the different counties:

http://www.coastwalkrealestate.com/n...unty-tax-info/

Last edited by Umbria; 08-16-2014 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 07:16 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Does Wilmington have higher taxes than Leland or Southport areas. It seems a little more expensive. I heard about a new reasonably priced community near Southport called Palmetto Creek. Anyone have any comments about it or know someone who lives there. I was told it is a new community by the same developers who did Waterford and compass pointe.
The Wilmington city limits does have higher taxes than Southport. But it will include services like EMS, fire department and a Police department rather than Sheriff's deputies. It may include trash and recycling pick-up in your city taxes etc. In some counties you have to contract with the trash company separately, or you pay through your HOA.

I have just started seeing ads for Palmetto Creek. The HOA fee is advertised at $820 which is not bad for the amenities it has. One builder is H&H Homes. They are a decent local production builder. We have an H&H house and have generally been happy. They seem to be small family-oriented houses. Here's an example of what's available: Palmetto Creek | H&H Homes | Homes for Sale in Bolivia NC

Palmetto Creek may not be the best choice for a single, older adult woman, as it seems more family-oriented with a kid's playground. However, it does have some reasonable priced houses built in 2006 or 2007 as well as the newer ones.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-16-2014 at 08:33 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 07:20 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Here's one link that compares the different counties:

New Hanover County Tax Information - Wilmington Tax Rates
BTW, for Wilmington, you have to add the county and city rates together: about .45 and .33 to get .78 per hundred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina