Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2013, 04:49 PM

103 posts, read 224,815 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for opinions on what people think of New Bern. I currently live outside of Pittsburgh, PA and am originally from near Altoona, PA. I always tell people I grew up in the sticks because Altoona is the biggest city and I grew up about 30 miles north east of Altoona.

Anyway, I'm looking to get some opinions because next month I have an interview with BSH. I have done some looking online but wanted some other opinions of the area. I'm going to have about a half day to look around (on a Sunday) when I'm down there for my interview.

Thank you for any opinions.

If you have any questions for me please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmee1409 View Post
Anyway, I'm looking to get some opinions because next month I have an interview with BSH.
If you search this sub-forum, you will a lot of variation in opinions on New Bern. It is a small town, and too quiet if you are young and looking for exciting things to do. It has some good residential areas which are popular with retired people. It also has some poor areas near the historic downtown which have too much crime for a town that size.

You don't mention whether you have a family. I believe the schools are average rather than excellent. But if you live in one on the better residential areas, your family could have a safe and enjoyable life.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:23 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Living in a small city that is a suburb of a major city is different than living in a small town that is surrounded by farmland. I would think long and hard about this move!

Old 12-22-2013, 02:57 PM

103 posts, read 224,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You don't mention whether you have a family. I believe the schools are average rather than excellent. But if you live in one on the better residential areas, your family could have a safe and enjoyable life.
I'm 32 and single. No kids. Still looking for my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
Living in a small city that is a suburb of a major city is different than living in a small town that is surrounded by farmland. I would think long and hard about this move!
I'm originally from a very small town surrounded by farmland. The town I grew up has no stop lights and it's about 30 miles to a walmart/giant eagle, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to continue to do more research.

Last edited by tmee1409; 12-22-2013 at 03:09 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 04:25 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmee1409 View Post
I'm 32 and single. No kids. Still looking for my wife.

I'm originally from a very small town surrounded by farmland. The town I grew up has no stop lights and it's about 30 miles to a walmart/giant eagle, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to continue to do more research.

It's highly unlikely you'll find your wife in New Bern, then. Even more unlikely you'd find onw without kids or not a divorcee'/ Though not impossible. Most of the marrying kind are already married by that age in this area. Most of the people they marry fall into 3 categories, guys they grew up with, guys they met in college, and military men. Then again, you'd proably be abel to meet a nice girl in church, probably pull one 10 years your jr. There is nothing inherently wrong with New Bern, but it's pretty family orianteated, especially at that age. Deepdngin on what your lifestyle is, it may not mesh. Most compalints I hear of New Bern that is the case, it's too slow paced or whatever. Entertainment is based around community events (people coming together for some purpose) than cultural events (going to a destination for some purpose). It's an outdoorsman paradise.

What is that you like to do? What are you hobbies/recreational activities? That might be a better tool to asses whether New Bern is for you, to see if you can continue doing the things that make you happy. For some people. like Nicholas Sparks who is rich enough to live anywhere (originally from Ohio) it is, to others like one poster here ( I can't think of his name right now) it definitely is not.

edit: I don't want you t be discouraged from New Bern enough to turn down a great job opportunity. Especially not in this economy, but I don't think any posters wants you to come here with rose colored glasses either, which many people have swarmed to NC with (who I blame Nicholas Sparks for as far as Eastern NC) only to be disillusioned. My stepfather moved down here from Newark/Elizabeth City when his best friend was stationed here as a Marine and never left. The friend got out of the Corps and never left either. That story has been repeated many times. The population continues to grow so it must be a desirable place for many people.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:52 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
There is more to do in New Bern than folks that don't live here realize

Like most southern towns, there is not much of a bar scene. Here most entertaining is done in the home. More intiment but difficult to break into the circle.

Based on the number of young women in Harris Teeter, without things, I think there are more single females than many realize!

Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 AM

77 posts, read 247,285 times
I live in Southport, NC. I have visited New Bern many times. Is is a wonderful place. I have found few towns that are as friendly toward visitors as New Bern. I would love to live there, but I am pretty much settled in here and really don't care to make another move at this time. As several mentioned, there is not a lot to do there, but sometimes this is a good thing which enhances the quality of life. Go there, walk the streets, visit the shops, you will want to stay. A beautiful small city. By the way, being single is not bad either :-)

Old 01-04-2014, 07:44 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
I think New Bern is a sweet town. We live a couple of towns away and love going there for the day...the River Walk is nifty, the historic district is always interesting--especially in Spring when the flowers are in bloom. We have favorite restaurants there, enjoy Tryon Palace (it shines at Christmas and summer when the garden is flourishing.

The neighborhood downtown coffee shop is very friendly. There's a lively art community, several live music venues. We've gone to plays in NB.

Having said that, I really don't have a handle on how you'd find the town as a younger person w/o a partner...I suspect you'd have to join a couple of organizations that match your interests to meet someone. Or maybe a church if you're so inclined.

There doesn't seem to be much of a club or bar scene...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina