Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 02:36 PM

172 posts, read 477,510 times

Advertisements

with a Possible Relocation to coast in the next year id just like to hear some thoughts on these 2 Towns....I Will have a Job lined up before Moving so that isnt much of a worry ATM....

Pro's and Con's on these to places compared to one another?
you General experiences at each?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 03:25 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-hiker View Post
with a Possible Relocation to coast in the next year id just like to hear some thoughts on these 2 Towns....I Will have a Job lined up before Moving so that isnt much of a worry ATM....

Pro's and Con's on these to places compared to one another?
you General experiences at each?
Both have large retirement populations. If you are still working, what attracts you to either town?

My opinion is that I find Southport far more attractive. There is a real town center there with some decent restaurants and a few historic sites.

Shalotte has nothing but housing developments strung along the highways. The few restaurants in the old part of town serve fried seafood. I am totally burned out on fried seafood after two visits. I suppose that if you wanted to settle in one of the golf communities, and that is all you want, then Shalotte is OK.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Both are about the same Distance to Wilmington so thats a key attraction to both of these....Shallotte Is Close to Myrtle Beach where my GF would look for work.....And still Decently Close to my "Home/Family" in Robeson Co.(however iv been in Western NC West of Asheville the last 14 years)....As Far as Living iv always enjoyed the smaller Towns so thats another key attraction.....Iv been to both places many times Growing up in Eastern NC but not in really recent times......

Dont mind driving for work in Wilmington(which i will have), would just rather have a "home" in one of the Smaller Less "Busy" Towns...

Old 12-09-2013, 04:59 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Southport is more of a tourist attraction in the summer and is a port city for sailboats. Good restaurants in Southport and quaint old homes and shops. It's the ferry terminus for the Ft Fisher/Southport ferry and the Bald Head Island ferry.

Shallotte is pretty much just a small eastern NC town with more proximity to the beach towns. It's the place where beach goers go in the summer when they need to pick up something they can't find at Ocean Isle or Holden or Sunset Beach — maybe some hardware or something from Walmart. It would not be dis-similar to smaller Robeson county towns, though not as big as Lumberton, but it does have a movie theater, which is a draw for summer beach vacationers.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 PM

Thank yall for the post

Any more would be greatly appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina