Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 30,204 times

Advertisements

We’re considering purchasing a vacation condo in North Topsail Beach. Prices seem unbelievably inexpensive for oceanfront – almost too good to be true. Can anyone tell us what could possibly be wrong with this area other than the live firings at Camp Lejeune?

Are there lots of insects – particularly palmetto bugs? I’ve seen them in Hilton Head but not the Outer Banks – not sure about the areas in-between. We can’t live with those horrible creatures!!!!!

Thanks for any info you can provide!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 08:50 AM

197 posts, read 957,634 times
Beach erosion. Make sure there is actually a beach where you buy.
Check out this story from May of this year.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:05 PM

906 posts, read 2,380,940 times
Yes, beach erosion is a huge concern. We just looked at properties on Topsail Island this summer (ended up buying in Emerald Isle). Many of the areas are COBRA, meaning that you have to get private flood insurance, the govt won't issue flood policies there. If its a condo complex then they are able to get it at a group rate and its not that much more expensive than federal flood. The island is migrating to the south.

Are you working with a realtor? The realtor we used in Topsail was awesome and really knew his stuff when it came to flood insurance, erosion, etc. He was partial to Surf City and Topsail Beach because of erosion and just the 'feel' of those places but he showed us what we wanted to see in North Topsail and made sure we knew which properties were at greater risk or would require that private flood insurance.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:07 PM

73 posts, read 458,196 times
All of the OBX are barrier islands, of course. Which means they have the potential to 'move' - one year the beach will be yea wide, the next decade it might quite narrower - but the Sound Side will be wider. Fact of living on such a narrow strip of land that is subject to tides...

Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
It isn't all oceanfront. There are plenty of properties for sale all over Topsail Island, both oceanfront and not. I think what may be 'wrong' is simply that there are so many places for sale. It's not an exagerration to say that every other house on Topsail Island has a for sale sign in front of it. And the property taxes are pretty high.

And, yes, there are Palmetto bugs.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:55 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile Some Topsail perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
It isn't all oceanfront. There are plenty of properties for sale all over Topsail Island, both oceanfront and not. I think what may be 'wrong' is simply that there are so many places for sale. It's not an exagerration to say that every other house on Topsail Island has a for sale sign in front of it. And the property taxes are pretty high.

And, yes, there are Palmetto bugs.
We don't live on Topsail, we live close to Emerald Isle. However, we do take the Jacksonville daily paper. There was a long letter to the editor in yesterday's paper. I am hoping this link works, but you never know with newspaper sites. It isn't the first letter so you have to scroll to it.

I know beach nourishment has been a huge issue over on North Topsail for years. Also high taxes and the amount of money they get back from the county are also regular issues that we see in the newspaper.

As to the number of properties for sale. That's pretty common in most of the beach areas right now. The price range of beach properties has been part of our market that has been the slowest to show life.

There are also plenty of properties for sale on Emerald Isle.

Last edited by dsobotta; 11-03-2007 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: clarification on link

Old 11-04-2007, 09:06 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
Hurricanes

they were wiped out a few times in the mid to late 90's by hurricanes.

Bertha, Fran, Floyd.

I mean WIPED out!

Hurricanes love that stretch of coast.....

About those bugs....I call them water bugs. And yes, they are all over southeast NC.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 29,952 times
Default North Topsail beach is fabulous

Only the north end of North Topsail Beach, like all Atlantic beaches, is endangered by erosion, because the inlet coming in there churns away at the sand. The rest of the island is strong with wide, incredibly clean beaches. We live right in the center of the island on the beach and it is beautiful, stable and safe. Hurricanes are a reality up and down the Eastern seaboard, but most of North Topsail Island went through the recent hurricanes in good shape. Onslow County recently raised property taxes based on appraisals made at the height of the real estate market. Those will likely come down at next appraisal. The reason so much property is for sale is for exactly the same reason as in the rest of the country--the subprime mortgage crisis. Unlike Kiawah Island, where we were before, we have never seen a Palmetto bug here and find the mosquito population to be surprisingly small.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 33,825 times
As has been mentioned before, now is an EXCELLENT time to buy at the beach. There is a great deal of inventory so you will have your pick of what you want and might even be able to get a better deal. Moderator cut: advertising Topsail Beach is a gorgeous place!

Last edited by autumngal; 11-20-2007 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 12-04-2007, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 32,062 times
I think that the issue with North Topsail Beach is erosion. The northern end of the island has been hit pretty hard over the last view years. I've been looking at real estate in this area for the past couple of years...and asked myself the same question. It is a lovely beach and there are many beautiful homes though. The northern end of Wrightsville Beach was in a similar situation in early 2000, though an inlet was dredged (or something a bit more technical) and the beach erosion has slowed (or been redirected elsewhere). I've finally decided that NTB was too good to be true and I am looking at Carolina Beach. But, with coastal property and Mother Nature...nothing is a sure thing. All the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina