Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times

Advertisements

Let me also add that there is a city here that is virtually central to everything that everybody wants in NC. It has decent retail and a huge hospital and medical community. Long timers will know that I'm talking about Greenville. Salt water is only 1/2 hour away in Washington. It is centrally located between Raleigh (the ultimate shopping destination in Eastern Carolina) and all of the beaches. It has mass transit. It has super easy access to I-95. It is growing by leaps and bounds. Much like Wilmington, as the more affluent population increases, the crime level is dropping. Housing is about 33% less than in Wilmington. There is a huge push on to improve their downtown. The city is also loading up with degreed professionals as the medical, educational (ECU) and soon to be, legal communities expand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 PM

46 posts, read 88,118 times
Wish us luck,
Booked a week starting June 7th.
Thanks Again!!!!!

Old 05-26-2013, 07:34 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I dunno, I'm partial to Beaufprt. We moved here from San Francisco, so we find the community a lot less expensive. We don't live waterfront, we're a bike ride away, but we live quite frugally on much, much less than what it cost us in SF. Taxes,utilities, and food are less.

Our home would have cost us easily $750,000 plus, plus in SF--here it was well under $200,000. 3/2.5 on 1/3 acre, 1800 sf.

Quality of life is much higher. We really like it here--it's beautiful, there's a sense of community, we've made warm friends.

Cons are jobs are tight and ill-paying, a couple of months in the summer are high heat and humidity. It took us a couple of summers to adjust.

Pros. Winters are mild--we can ride our bikes just about every day. I feel safe here. The water activities and beaches are terrific. The bird life is rich and varied. The arts and music scene are vibrant.

For those bringing retirement income or who work from home with transportable jobs--this can be paradise.

Just my take on things. Your mileage may vary. From my viewpoint--Beaufort is small--but mighty!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:57 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
New Bern in a runaway. This couple is not in their 20s which normally brings out the haters. I would love to see someone on the Craven Transit money pits...erhhhh... I mean buses and vans.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:54 PM

LittleDolphin and LLN thank you for your replies, researching now.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 AM

Well,
Were here,
We have a rescue puppy and were limited to a pet friendly beach, so we are on Oak Island.
Looking at Trulia now.
Two things we noticed, gas is about 25 cents cheaper, groceries about the same price as Pittsburgh.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 AM

Gee,
Really nice area.

Wilmington is o.k, Southport my girlfriend likes because it reminds her of Bar Harbor, Maine. I'm just so happy to have my feet on the beach that it's all good!!!
Appreciate any other comments.

Thanks Again!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I would suggest getting away from Oak Island and into New Hanover County a bit...take the ferry to Fort Fisher and go into Carolina Beach....another trip could be to the Cotton Exchange downtown, Mall area and Mayfaire to see the shopping areas.

This will give you a much better feel for the area than just checking out Oak Island and Southport, which are nice, but many folks in the area never even go there.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanks HP91,

On suggestion from a local, we ended up doing that Tuesday, the grand kid loved the ferry!!!

Stopped into Southport Reality yesterday, got some info.

Time is really flying!!! apparently there are fireworks at Carolina beach tonight (storms permitting) so we will spend some time at that area today.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydisk View Post
Thanks HP91,

On suggestion from a local, we ended up doing that Tuesday, the grand kid loved the ferry!!!

Stopped into Southport Reality yesterday, got some info.

Time is really flying!!! apparently there are fireworks at Carolina beach tonight (storms permitting) so we will spend some time at that area today.
Yes...every Thursday night they have fireworks at Carolina Beach...the problem may be getting the ferry back to Southport after the fireworks and driving around takes A LONG TIME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina