Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM

96 posts, read 434,160 times

Advertisements

My husband and I sold our home in NY in 2008 and moved to an oceanfront rental on Topsail Island. We love having a view and recently started looking around for home.
We fell in love with townhome in Pamlico Plantation in Washington NC. The unit was on the market for over 2 years at 350k, It was not updated but was immaculate and showed beautifully. We looked at the comps and found nothing has sold in over 2 years for higher than 218k.
In 2008 a unit sold for 280k but nothing close since. If we weren't buying cash we might not even be able to get a mortgage because it wouldn't appraise for enough. This townhome was in the only building that was considered waterfront and we figured that was worth 50k to us so we 268k which was also the tax value. The people came back with 349k so we walked away. We looked at several other units but none had a comparable view so we continue to look.
We could have paid the 350k but feel that if medical issues ever arose and we needed to sell we would never get any where close to that figure; and that it would have sold with that view if it had been priced correctly.
Does anyone know of any similar townhouses or Condo's that are waterfront and come with boatslips or have them available.We prefer to stay under 300k but with a boatslip maybe 350k as long as the comps support the price.
From what I've seen online this area homes are pretty reasonable with the tradeoff of it being pretty remote, and 45minutes to the biggest town of Greenville. Since we are retired this is not an issue for us.
Any suggestions???
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,093,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlpn View Post
Does anyone know of any similar townhouses or Condo's that are waterfront and come with boatslips or have them available.We prefer to stay under 300k but with a boatslip maybe 350k as long as the comps support the price.
From my memory of our house-hunt, Washington had a very limited market. Have you looked at New Bern? There's a creek-front house with boat parking at $330K in River Bend. I loved the TH's on Batts Hill Road, but the only one for sale now is $399K. .

Beaufort might work, but your price range is pretty restrictive for a place with a slip. (In our area, a boat-slip with the house, and a view would be worth at least $500K.) Are you interested in river-front locations only?

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-11-2013 at 06:43 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 AM

Would you need a slip for a motor boat or a sailboat? If you have a sailboat, one of the few places is Fairfield Harbour in New Bern. They have inexpensive townhomes and condos, but you would have to use the marina, I believe. There is also the Skysail condos in downtown New Bern, but the only place for sale was a 1 bedroom condo. I'd keep watching at Skysail, and something else may turn up.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:09 PM

720 posts, read 1,710,935 times
Oak Island has a small condo complex on the intracoastal that comes with boat slips. 2 bed 2 bath. Have you checked into ST. James Plantation? They have a marina with townhomes on the waterfront---sorry can't help with the prices.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 PM

96 posts, read 434,160 times
Thanks for the information. We looked at homes in Riverbend when we first came down to NC. At that time everything on the water was over 300k and needed a lot of work. It might be worth checking out again. We also saw the condos at St James Plantation. We want at least 3 bedrooms so they didn't fit the bill for us but, were very nice. We have never been to Beaufort but that's also worth checking out. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 PM

I sent you a DM about a couple of listings for houses in Newport. They have deep water boat slips and are priced under $300K. I know you said condo or townhouse, but these are small single-family houses which might work for you.

I also saw a listing at the Cedar Point Villas for a 2-br condo with a boat slip. That's in Cedar Point, listed for $254K. Let me know is you need the MLS number. There may be others in the Atlantic Beach/Indian Beach/Emerald Isle area.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-15-2013 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-19-2013, 04:49 AM

19,449 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Goldenage, I just wanted to publicly say that I think you are one of the most helpful, posters around these boards. If can't rep you enough, nor can I thank you enough for all the excellent information you've shared with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina