Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,038,599 times

Advertisements

Access to Hatteras
http://www.newsobserver.com

Ferries instead
http://www.newsobserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 04:07 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,409,241 times
I am all for letter 2 , ferries.
I am not advocating to keep the rich from getting to their mansions
nor for the locals to have to move.

it will just make it a little harder to get there.

hardy people live there year round and no doubt they
would adapt very well to ferries.

the rich people that only visit once or twice a year
might squeal a bit more by not being able to just drive up to their house.

The question really is whether leaving the "cuts" open will prevent the ocean from
breaking thru in other places during the next hurricanes?

wondering if some of those homes that now sit in the ocean
will be rebuilt , will the state spend money on rebuilding the beach in
front ?

It really comes down to are we going to listen to
mother nature?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 PM

638 posts, read 1,597,877 times
I like the ferry idea also.. We use a ferry to get to Ocracoke; why not Hatteras also? In these economic times, and with Mother Nature insisting that the road be moved, it makes a lot more sense, especially financially.

It's a sad fact for those that live there now, but that ocean is going to keep pushing it's breaches into that particular area with every hurricane that comes along, it seems.

(and if I were a betting person, I'd bet William C. Duncan in Cary owns some expensive summer property there)

Old 09-08-2011, 11:34 AM

700 posts, read 1,649,028 times
I think that a ferry system alone with a limit on growth on the island. Let it revert to public lands overtime. As this would start the process of reducing the cost in relationship to storm damage and other such related item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina