Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:23 AM

140 posts, read 317,524 times

Advertisements

Looking at the pictures of the 5 new inlet's created by Irene in the Outer Banks are our local, state and federal officials ever going to realize the futility of trying to maintain NC-12 and other local roads. When are they going to say enough is enough, and realize certain parts of the Outer Banks are better off left alone.

Yeeesh this was only a Cat 2 storm and look at the damage, seeing those million dollar homes sitting on their pillings in 10 feet of water should leave us scratching our heads.

Am I the only one that has heard of rising ocean levels?, it seems like it.

How much is this years rebuild going to cost? And I'm sure the tourism industry will survive without maintaing the road continuity through the entire Outer Banks.

Ron W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 03:31 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Actually, it was a Cat 1. They will give up when a real Cat 3 hits the OBX and destroys it.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
They'll give up when the money to fix it costs more than the tax revenue the area generates.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
can't believ the tax revenue is enough to rebuild.

I am totally of the thought of not rebuilding!
looking at the mega, new money mansions
on the coastline or rather all over the outer banks ,I just wonder how
people can think it is even pretty out there.
have visited many times and always been put off by those huge houses.
nobody local lives in them , they stand empty but for a few weeks in summer.

there is no way the tax revenue is going to cover the rebuilding of Hiway 12 so
I think all of us will be chipping in.

who approved building in the marsh? how did those lots even perk?
who is dumb enough to build a house in the marsh?

I for one get a little pissed that this insanely unwise building goes on all up and down
the US coastline with the rest of us expected to help cover the bill.

nature spoke, will we listen?

think not.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:06 PM

32 posts, read 95,181 times
Let me start by saying im hearing alot of this type of thing. I find it amusing and bit disturbing that folks will cry over who pays what, and where people build. When California is rocked with an earthquake are we all going to cry "They knew it was going to happen, im not paying for the rebuild".
If you dont want to pay for the upkeep, and dont like what you see. Leave.
Go search for some place that doesnt require upkeep. and GOod luck with that we cant all live in some fictional bubble where everything is free, no one gets hurt, and nothing bad ever happens.
I guess thats just my part of this

Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
nobody is talking about not sharing the burden of people
that have to rebuild, people that actually live in these small towns that were
devastated by the storm.
who should not be allowed to rebuild are the dreamers that think it is okay to build a 14 bedroom mansion
on top of a dune.
I for one am offended that they have cluttered that beautiful nature with
ugly houses.

enabling the not so smart
people, who thinks that building in a marsh or on top
of a sand dune does not constitute sound judgement.
that's why places like Charlotte has huge
storm water fees added on their monthly water bill.
all because builders/developers are/were allowed to built in
unsuitable areas.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Bev ask DOT come up with a short term plan to restore hwy 12. She also asked DOT for a long term plan.
She speaks about it 4:45 in video Gov. Perdue evening update on hurricane recovery :: WRAL.com

Im thinking short term use the military transport bridges .

For long term why not construct out of cement

Old 08-31-2011, 05:20 AM

50 posts, read 213,355 times
Guess we shouldn't allow anyone to rebuild wherever you might need Federally subsidized flood insurance. That pretty much shuts down a few hundred towns in NJ, Vermont and NY state that all got flooded when those beautiful little brooks turned into raging torrents. After all, when will they ever learn?

Old 08-31-2011, 06:40 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaVet96 View Post
Guess we shouldn't allow anyone to rebuild wherever you might need Federally subsidized flood insurance.
I think they should be allowed to build, I just don't think everyone else should have to pay for it through NFIP.

Quote:
That pretty much shuts down a few hundred towns in NJ, Vermont and NY state that all got flooded when those beautiful little brooks turned into raging torrents. After all, when will they ever learn?
this is a silly comparison. NJ, VT, New York state have these problems once in a generation. The Outer Banks seem perpetually in need of state and federal emergency assistance and infrastructure projects.

I think people should be expected to foot the bill for their own costs of living in a particular location, through local sales and property taxes.

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 08-31-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 06:40 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Default Let the "people" pay

Same crap happens in NJ every year. The storms wipe out the beaches and the taxpayers pay to replenish the sand. The big problem is in NJ the beaches or owned privately and not open free to the public.
Those houses in NJ are owned by the same type of people who own NC beach front property. They are heavy political donors.

So why not own a beachfront property if you don't have to pay to rebuild it? Let those suckers (like me) who live in the Piedmont contribute to rebuild roads they will never use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina