Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 AM

3 posts, read 6,307 times

Advertisements

I am a mid-aged divorced guy considering moving to OBX, specifically in Avon. Yes, I am prepared to deal with the weather, and I am going to venture down there this winter to see what it is like more off season.

My questions are.. Are there sustainable jobs down there through the whole year? I am a computer consultant with a very diverse set of skills, from home to medium sized businesses, networks, wiring, phones, databases, web, apple & pc, etc etc... Been doing it 20+ years and an very confident in my abilities in that realm, but I am also open to doing most anything as long as I have money coming in to enable me to live down there reasonably.

I chose Avon because I love it there and also because of access to food shopping. Am I correct to assume either Food Lion or Village Grocer stay open all year?

In that same thread, does anyone know what restaurants and shops do still stay open through the off season in Avon? Is the Kora Spa and the medical center open all year as well?

Aside from here, does anyone know where I can get this kind of info, who to talk to, etc?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
mrguiness,
I would highly encourage you to contact Frank Folb at Frank & Fran's Bait & Tackle in Avon. He is a super fellow-very good sense of humor and will talk to you straight about life on the northern end. He should be able to give a good idea of the business potential for someone in your field too.
Bill

Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 AM

That is an excellent idea. Know that store well. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:25 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrguinness View Post
I am a mid-aged divorced guy considering moving to OBX, specifically in Avon. Yes, I am prepared to deal with the weather, and I am going to venture down there this winter to see what it is like more off season.

My questions are.. Are there sustainable jobs down there through the whole year? I am a computer consultant with a very diverse set of skills, from home to medium sized businesses, networks, wiring, phones, databases, web, apple & pc, etc etc... Been doing it 20+ years and an very confident in my abilities in that realm, but I am also open to doing most anything as long as I have money coming in to enable me to live down there reasonably.

I chose Avon because I love it there and also because of access to food shopping. Am I correct to assume either Food Lion or Village Grocer stay open all year?

In that same thread, does anyone know what restaurants and shops do still stay open through the off season in Avon? Is the Kora Spa and the medical center open all year as well?

Aside from here, does anyone know where I can get this kind of info, who to talk to, etc?

THANKS!
With a job like computer consulting, you can work almost anywhere, which is a great job. I think the majority of the restaurants and everything else closes down. I want to say Spa Koru stay open as well.

I agree with talking with Frank. He is a great guy.

Also, you mentioned you're middle-aged and divorced. I don't know your situation or future hopes, but Hatteras Island only has 7k-ish year round residents. Just something else to think about.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 PM

Im glad to hear there is potential for work. I would really love to find out what shops stay open all year. I kinda pray the Dolphin Den and Island Spice and Wine do, though I am doubtful. I assume Food Lion does, but I don't know. The situation / hopes are that my current gf might be interested in moving down there with me, though she is a cardiac nurse and has looked into the Nags Head hospital and the local Avon medical center and found nothing. Regardless, we are going to go down in January or so to see what its like, see whats open and talk to whomever we can talk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina