Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 6,053 times

Advertisements

Hey im moving from Cincinnati, ohio, and I was just wondering if there is a punk scene at all there in wilmington. Any local places where punk bands play or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 05:22 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,528 times
No we do not allow punk stuff in NC. Bible belt rules. But, you could try Atlanta.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
The Soapbox gets most of the bigger national touring bands. Everyone I know from down there mostly did house shows but last I heard the town really clamped down on 'em.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:40 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
I just started listening to punk like yesterday, I don't live in Wilmington but I don't think NC is too big on punk music unfortunately.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
There are many venues for all types of music in Raleigh. Not all people in NC are closed minded about music.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
No we do not allow punk stuff in NC. Bible belt rules. But, you could try Atlanta.
Wilmington isn't really the bible belt like Winston Salem. There is a 'punk scene' here. i couldn't tell you much about it.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:44 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
Not all people in NC are closed minded about music.
Since when is preference being closed minded? I bet most Blacks in Harlem don't like Polish Polka music. Are they closed minded? I love to listen to Jascha Heifetz and Itzhak Perlman. If you don't are you closed minded?
Music originates locally. Preferences of one locale doesn't always transfer over to another.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Since when is preference being closed minded? I bet most Blacks in Harlem don't like Polish Polka music. Are they closed minded? I love to listen to Jascha Heifetz and Itzhak Perlman. If you don't are you closed minded?
Music originates locally. Preferences of one locale doesn't always transfer over to another.
Let's see...

No we do not allow punk stuff in NC. Bible belt rules

I heard the town really clamped down on 'em.

I don't think NC is too big on punk music unfortunately.

It sounds like there are a whole lot of people in NC that are closed minded. I never said it was any one particular person....

Feeling a little guilty there Bill?

Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 PM

83 posts, read 195,135 times
not a huge scene but there are some shows the soapbox which was previously mentioned has a few shows a week with all different kinds of music and the rest are mostly house shows. check out diy wilmington on facebook he books a lot of the shows. theres some canadian metal bands playing a house show tomorrow if your in town. free show and beer.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:27 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
That reminds me Jascha Heifetz's grandson Danny was the drummer for Mr. Bungle, who were a really, really weird band that was somewhat popular for an underground act back in the 90s. One of those groups like the Velvet Underground who didn't sell a lot of records but everyone who bought one went on to form a band. Top-notch bunch of musicians too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina