Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:11 AM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,412,734 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of vacationing a week next summer in the Outer Banks. I'd like to invite one of my son's friends to come with us but I don't think we'll have room in our van for him. He lives in NY (we live in Cary) so he'd by flying down. I was thinking my plan could work if he flies into an airport close to the Outer Banks and we pick him up along the way. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:39 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Norfolk's the closest major airport, which is about 90 minutes to 2 hours away depending on traffic. The Dare County airport doesn't offer scheduled commercial flights.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:06 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,015 times
well, if hes not going to fit in the van from cary to obx, then how would he fit in the van from norfolk (or greenville? are they a larger hub?) to the obx?

now... you could get your rental house (or whatever youre doing) and drive the almost 2 hours to norfolk to pick him up possibly? but the space issues still confuses me?

or charter a plane from norfolk to dare county airport.

or give him taxi fare/ pay for a rental car LOL

i think that sums up the options. LOL

Old 07-27-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
well, if hes not going to fit in the van from cary to obx, then how would he fit in the van from norfolk (or greenville? are they a larger hub?) to the obx?

now... you could get your rental house (or whatever youre doing) and drive the almost 2 hours to norfolk to pick him up possibly? but the space issues still confuses me?

or charter a plane from norfolk to dare county airport.

or give him taxi fare/ pay for a rental car LOL

i think that sums up the options. LOL
I thought there'd be a closer airport and we could drop off our luggage and go back and get him. Apparently my idea isn't practical. Oh well. I'm just tossing around thoughts so my son can see his friend. I'm glad we moved and I'm glad they're good friends but I just wish they could see each other more often. There's always college in three years. Maybe they can dorm together.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:47 PM

90 posts, read 219,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I thought there'd be a closer airport and we could drop off our luggage and go back and get him. Apparently my idea isn't practical. Oh well. I'm just tossing around thoughts so my son can see his friend. I'm glad we moved and I'm glad they're good friends but I just wish they could see each other more often. There's always college in three years. Maybe they can dorm together.
If you vacation at Atlantic Beach, Emerald Island, Indian Beach, etc. you could have your son's friend fly into New Bern airport. It is about 30 - 45 minutes or so away from the Crystal Coast beaches. (Southern-most part of Outer Banks)

Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces07 View Post
If you vacation at Atlantic Beach, Emerald Island, Indian Beach, etc. you could have your son's friend fly into New Bern airport. It is about 30 - 45 minutes or so away from the Crystal Coast beaches. (Southern-most part of Outer Banks)
Thank you so much!!! Maybe this can work out after all! My son is a really good kid and I want to make him happy. He's been flying back to NY on school breaks since we moved a year ago. His friend is actually staying with us right now and flying home on Friday. I know my son would be thrilled if his friend could come along on a real vacation with us (although they seem perfectly content going in our pool, playing Xbox games, and watching 'guy' stuff on TV!). I'll start researching the areas you mentioned. Do you have any first-hand experience vacationing at any of these beaches? Could you share a recommendation on a specific place to stay?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:01 PM

well if youre flexible on WHERE you vacation, theres also wilmington (which has an airport)

Old 07-29-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
well if youre flexible on WHERE you vacation, theres also wilmington (which has an airport)
Thanks for your post. I have to research that area. The Outer Banks came to my mind at first since it's obviously a known vacation spot. Actually though, now that you mention it, Wilmington is a great idea since my son's friend has an aunt that lives there. I have to ask his mom again but I'm pretty sure she said that's the case. That would definitely help logistically. Do you have a recommendation on a specific place to stay in Wilmington for a vacation? This is all new to me, until we moved here I had never been to NC before!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:11 PM

blockade runner is nice, if not a little on the pricey side

theres the beach - the battleship - some good places to eat - the beach - some good shopping - the beach - the riverwalk - the beach - 4th of july stuff on the river - the beach (sense a trend here) LOL

i dont have teenage boys (yet LOL) so maybe someone knows of some stuff theyd like. well... theres jungle rapids which has an ok waterpark, go carts, mini golf, games, etc... my kids like that place. the waterpark doesnt compare to a wet n wild or any of the big ones (like in williamsburg or orlando), but its not too bad

Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 AM

90 posts, read 219,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Thank you so much!!! Maybe this can work out after all! My son is a really good kid and I want to make him happy. He's been flying back to NY on school breaks since we moved a year ago. His friend is actually staying with us right now and flying home on Friday. I know my son would be thrilled if his friend could come along on a real vacation with us (although they seem perfectly content going in our pool, playing Xbox games, and watching 'guy' stuff on TV!). I'll start researching the areas you mentioned. Do you have any first-hand experience vacationing at any of these beaches? Could you share a recommendation on a specific place to stay?
I would recommend renting a condo. In Atlantic Beach, A Place at the Beach and Southwinds come to mind.

Most rent on a weekly basis, but a few will rent on lesser time period.

Try Atlantic Beach NC Condos - Atlantic Beach Southwinds Condo NC for condo rental information.

Clamdigger Inn has all oceanfront rooms. Nothing fancy, but great ocean front views from your balcony. There is an indoor and outdoor seating restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina