Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:53 PM

148 posts, read 611,113 times

Advertisements

There are alot of nice places around to live in eastern NC....

I could tell you all the reasons I chose where I live, but everyone has vastly different reasons to live or desire where they want to live....

I just advise anyone wanting to know what an area has to offer, you got to visit....Pics are great, comments are great, but how many of you were hyped up about going to someplace and it was a disapointment when you got there?

Internet research and personal testimony are valuable, but once you visit a place, you'll know if if is going to be home sweet home within a short stay....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:13 AM

214 posts, read 822,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfdmary View Post
I am looking for the perfect carolinas coastal town to retire. We want walking distance to ocean & golf. Small place to live, condo or townhome. No maintenance. Anyone have ideas to share!
Actually Caswell Beach comes to mind as a great place for you to research. Golf course right across the street from the Ocean. If you would like to learn more about the area and the amenities, please DM me, and I'd be happy to answer your questions.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:25 PM

60 posts, read 188,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfdmary View Post
I am looking for the perfect carolinas coastal town to retire. We want walking distance to ocean & golf. Small place to live, condo or townhome. No maintenance. Anyone have ideas to share!
Golf courses, did you say???

I read somewhere that Brunswick County, NC has more golf courses (in some kind of ratio) than anywhere else. It's pretty much wall-to-wall golf courses there! The Ocean Isle Beach to Calabash area is also either beach front, or within approximately a mile or two of the beach. This area also probably has the greatest concentration of golf courses. Lots of condos in this area, too.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM

17 posts, read 60,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I fish out of Oriental a lot, and I love it, but I cannot believe it is that cool a place to live. Even for a neo-Luddite such as myself, there is just not enough there, if you still the least bit active. But as many have said, to each his or her own.

I think Beaufort is awesome, but at $200 per square foot, in town, not even on water, that is just too rich for my blood. If I could have gotten in before the astronomical price rise, I would be there, however.

A lot of other areas are, well to be honest, just plain tacky. Would not catch me in them, but again, they do attract many.

We are in New Bern which has it share of problems but on balance it is big enough so you don't go crazy, but small enough so that you see people you know al around town.

I think the real jewel, however, is Little Washington. They have a great waterfront, is only about 25 minutes from Greenville, and has a great main street. Another great thing about Washington, elitist cover your ears, is that about everyone is in the public school system. Not a plethora of academies and private schools there, yet. I am sure once enough rich outsiders move in, there will be move to insulate the rich from the locals, but so far, at least as of last year, that had not taken off.

lln
Please tell me more about your area. I am looking for a small town near a nice size city on the East Coast and thought of New Bern. I am in my mid 50s with a daughter, 14 and an older daughter away at college (freshman). I am a church-goer, too. Am looking for an area similar to where I live and have grown up in (near Springfield, MO) on the East Coast because I love the ocean and the beach. It also seems my daughters are headed to NYC in the next decade, also.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetocarolina View Post
Golf courses, did you say???

I read somewhere that Brunswick County, NC has more golf courses (in some kind of ratio) than anywhere else. It's pretty much wall-to-wall golf courses there! The Ocean Isle Beach to Calabash area is also either beach front, or within approximately a mile or two of the beach. This area also probably has the greatest concentration of golf courses. Lots of condos in this area, too.
There are a lot of golf courses there, but it's not nearly as concentrated or completely golf-manic as the Sandhills (Pinehurst) area west of Fayetteville. Brunswick Cty is really know for its beaches above all else.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Now, I'm not a golfer, so all you swingers jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but the only place that comes to mind where one can walk to golf AND the ocean, as the OP wants, would be Pine Knoll Shores...is that correct, or are there other places?

There surely are a lot of places where one could walk to golf OR to the ocean, but not too many where one could do both...

Having said that, the new North River Club in Beaufort is a gorgeous course and there just might be some great prices on lots there right about now...no condos there the last I looked though.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:48 AM

214 posts, read 822,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Now, I'm not a golfer, so all you swingers jump in and correct me if I'm wrong, but the only place that comes to mind where one can walk to golf AND the ocean, as the OP wants, would be Pine Knoll Shores...is that correct, or are there other places?

There surely are a lot of places where one could walk to golf OR to the ocean, but not too many where one could do both...

Having said that, the new North River Club in Beaufort is a gorgeous course and there just might be some great prices on lots there right about now...no condos there the last I looked though.
I belive in an earlier post I mentioned the Oak Island golf club. Yes you can golf, yes you can walk to the ocean, best of both worlds.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 AM

35 posts, read 89,789 times
Hi all! I am new to the boards and would like to get an opinion; I want to move to where I want to retire BEFORE I retire. I love the NC coast, and oddly enough, have heard of Little Washington b/c my daughter and her husband live in New Bern. But my concern is jobs. I am a CNA, but eventually want to find office (administrative work).

What are the jobs like in these towns? Particularly Little Washington? Have heard you can find extremely inexpensive rent - but maybe the salaries go along with the rent! Lol

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thx.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:27 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
I'm not in your field, but wondered if you could you contact the appropriate medical facilities to inquire about openings? Or, are there professional job boards to search by area and your qualifications? And you're right, low cost of living generally equates to lower salaries...but the lowered stress, mild weather, warm-hearted people and pretty outdoor natural areas make up for it IMHO...

Old 03-18-2010, 04:00 AM

35 posts, read 89,789 times
Thanks, littledolphin. Almost forgot to check this as I just joined last night! Ha, ha. Anyway, I am in the beginning stages - more like musings - about this stage of life, but have to start sometime!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina