Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,668,124 times

Advertisements

WALLACE, N.C. — It seems that wearing a dress to the Pizza Hut is not favored upon by its restaurant personnel, at least by Vishon Murphy, a man who did just that in mid-July when he went in to pick up food. “As soon as I walked in the general manager told me that I cannot be in the restaurant because I was dressed in ‘drag,’ in women’s clothing, and he asked me to leave,” Murphy told news station WECT-TV.
“I respect people and their boundaries because I understand that everyone does not like my lifestyle and I show them respect,” said Murphy.
read more Gay Man Kicked Out Of Pizza Hut For Wearing Dress | News One
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 03:57 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,646,443 times
I think this place should be swarmed by men wearing dresses.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:15 PM

854 posts, read 1,719,621 times
The sad thing is if he sues them, he'll probably win.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,690,152 times
i think the sign reads 'no shirts no shoes...' not 'no breasts no dress...'

seriously. id rather see a man in a dress than a kid with his britches showing!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 PM

14 posts, read 78,198 times
That's ridiculous. He should be able to wear whatever he wants as long as it provides adequate coverage of "private" parts.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:21 PM

572 posts, read 1,615,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshoekitty View Post
That's ridiculous. He should be able to wear whatever he wants as long as it provides adequate coverage of "private" parts.
How about the fact that the man was on private property? I would agree with you when it's public but doesn't the owner/staff of the restaurant have the right to decide what's appropriate attire for their privately owned business? Try getting seated at a Ruth's Chris steakhouse wearing bikers shorts and flip flops. Won't happen. If someone showed up at your house wearing a Nazi uniform or a white sheet and hood would you ask them to leave? I sure would. Just because something is legal in public doesn't make it appropriate on someone's private property.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:01 PM

854 posts, read 1,719,621 times
OK, what about the females out there that dress like men? You all know what I'm talking about.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,206,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
How about the fact that the man was on private property? I would agree with you when it's public but doesn't the owner/staff of the restaurant have the right to decide what's appropriate attire for their privately owned business?
It's certainly within their right, but note the defense the Pizza Hut rep used was that he had been there several times without making a purchase and that "other customers" asked that he be kicked out- nothing direct nor specific about what he was wearing. The guy could certainly successfully challenge Pizza Hut given the ambiguity of any dress policy. I'm guessing some regional manager is busy drafting an amended dress code to avoid such a challenge, or at least if they're smart they're doing that. That dude might not raise a fuss, but someone else inevitably will, and there's enough gray area to make it a potential problem for Pizza Hut.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:09 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,646,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
How about the fact that the man was on private property? I would agree with you when it's public but doesn't the owner/staff of the restaurant have the right to decide what's appropriate attire for their privately owned business? Try getting seated at a Ruth's Chris steakhouse wearing bikers shorts and flip flops. Won't happen. If someone showed up at your house wearing a Nazi uniform or a white sheet and hood would you ask them to leave? I sure would. Just because something is legal in public doesn't make it appropriate on someone's private property.
"Appropriate" is highly subjective.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:58 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,641,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
OK, what about the females out there that dress like men? You all know what I'm talking about.
Yes, I know what you're talking about. I used to live in Portland, OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina