Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM

69 posts, read 160,729 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I hope this isn't a repeated question on here; I searched the forums for a few hours and didn't really find what I was looking for.

I was born in Illinois, but spent most of my life living in the Bay Area. I've been wanting to get out of the area for quite some time now, and the south seems perfect. Friendly people, good amount of history, good food, and country music! I will be applying for grad programs in speech language pathology and am interested in ECU. Would ECU and Greenville be a good fit for me, or would I feel out of place?

Based on what I have read about Greenville, people seem to think that it's mostly a safe city, except in certain parts. Is that correct? I grew up near Richmond (CA) and my high school had at least one memorial every other month for someone who got shot and killed, so I'm used to being in areas like that and I like to think that I know how to avoid dangerous situations.

Is it easy to make friends in Greenville; are people friendly? I don't know anyone in NC, so I will be completely on my own at first and I hope that I can make some friends.

Does it have a southern feel to it? Based on what I have read on these forums, Greenville seems to be the 'big city' in eastern NC and is less 'southern' feeling than the smaller towns surrounding it. Will I be able to go to a lot of bars that play country and see people wearing plaid shirts and cowboy hats? Haha, it sounds silly, but it would be nice to meet some country people, especially guys. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find fellow country music lovers in the Bay Area!

Finally, is there reliable public transportation or would I have to bring my car? I have no idea how big the area is or how easy it is to get from one place to another.

If anyone has any other suggestions in terms of schools/cities, I'm open to that as well I am not a big city type of person and would like to eventually end up in a smaller town. I'm figuring it's not the best idea for a girl in her mid 20s to move to a totally rural area because then I won't meet people my age, so it's probably best to stick with mid-size cities.

Thank you for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 02:44 PM

23 posts, read 52,168 times
Check your inbox. I've sent you a message.

EB

Old 07-20-2011, 05:51 PM

Thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,291,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicagrace View Post
Hello!
Based on what I have read about Greenville, people seem to think that it's mostly a safe city, except in certain parts. Is that correct?

Learn where to go and don't go and you should be fine. Of course crime can be random.

Is it easy to make friends in Greenville; are people friendly? Greenville is a social town, you should be able to do fine as long as you make the first move.

Does it have a southern feel to it? I think so. Of course it isn't like Kinston (thank god), because of the influx of people to work/go to school at ECU and PCMH.

Will I be able to go to a lot of bars that play country and see people wearing plaid shirts and cowboy hats? Most bar bars (over 21), at least downtown have their selection of popular country they play. I can't recall off the top of my head a truly COUNTRY bar. There was one, but I believed it closed. As for the plaid shirts and cowboy hats, that is more Texas than the south.

Finally, is there reliable public transportation or would I have to bring my car?
ECU has a great bus line and the City of Greenville has a bus line. Depending on where you live and where on campus your classes are, the ECU bus should be fine. But for everything else I would have a car.
Let me know if there is anything else.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:46 PM

Thank you for the information! Good to know that there is a decent bus line around the campus.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:39 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,305,918 times
You will be fine in Greenville. It's a nice town. Although I doubt that you'll find too much in the way of flannel shirts and cowboy hats, people in the area have a wide variety of tastes and interests, including some country/western (but c/w is not the predominant style by any means). Life will be a lot easier if you bring your car. But if that's a hardship you can probably survive without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina