Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,443 times

Advertisements

Coming down to visit beginning of May. Any recommendations on restaurants, watering holes around Morehead City area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 02:58 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,679,720 times
theres a place called the crab net? i THINK.. in either morehead city or beaufort that used to be really really good. it was on a side street near the waterfront- kind of a hole in the wall place.

havent been there in a long time though (darn shellfish allergies!!) grrrrrr

Old 04-15-2011, 04:22 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,904,878 times
I've always loved Rap's.
Rap's Grill & Bar - Morehead City, NC
Rap's Grill & Bar, Morehead City, NC : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
RAPS GRILL & BAR, 709 Arendell St., Morehead City, NC 28557 Tele: (252) 240-1213

A lot of people love El's as well
El's Drive-In - Morehead City, NC
El's Drive-In - Morehead City, North Carolina - Yahoo! Travel

though my favortie burgers and dogs came from JB's. Alas, JB's has closed down, looks like for good this time.
JB Burger Express - Morehead City, North Carolina - Yahoo! Travel

Old 04-15-2011, 05:40 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,034,090 times
macjr82-JB Burger Express has been closed for quite some time. (I noticed the link above for JB had many other local business listed that have been closed for awhile. Pete's Tackle was one of them. Pete hasn't been in business for a decade)

But-El's Drive In is still thriving!! Gotta get a shrimp burger and homemade shake!

suedonym-Are you thinking of the Net House in Beaufort?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:09 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,679,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post

suedonym-Are you thinking of the Net House in Beaufort?

why yes i am! LOL

thanks for the correction. im losing my memory in my pseudo old age

Old 04-16-2011, 09:43 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,741,790 times
Raps is very good in MHC. I like eating at Shepard's Point Restaurant and if you want to spend some money, the Beaufort Grocery Company is very nice.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:16 AM

4 posts, read 12,251 times
Red face Would You Reccomend North Carolina To Live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
theres a place called the crab net? i THINK.. in either morehead city or beaufort that used to be really really good. it was on a side street near the waterfront- kind of a hole in the wall place.

havent been there in a long time though (darn shellfish allergies!!) grrrrrr

I live in Southern Wisconsin. Middle aged..not married. I am tired of the long .. grueling winters. They are beautiful to watch.. if you don't have to go out in them. But.. to shovel and try to move the car from caked on ice on top of snow.. is vicious. When I first moved here.. I thought .. it was paradise.. compared to living in NJ...almost any place is. Our lakes have thankfully not been affected or the fish I eat from them. For that I am most fortunate and grateful. I am a big time fish eater. Our summers are mild compared to many states. I like that.. I like cooler summers. NJ winters are mild compared to here .. although this year they reversed one another. Wisconsin use to have no care insurance which saved me a ton of money but not any more.
I miss the beaches.. the waves.. light houses..and Weagmans. The food prices sky rocketed here. I might as well live somewhere I can enjoy the weather more.. mildly. I hate real hot Summers. The hottest it gets here in July and August is about 82 and that sometimes is too hot for me. Rain doesn't bother me coming from the East Coast. I am alone right now.. helping to care for my mother whom has cancer. I am pursuing a writing career.. in which I can work from anywhere. I don't like to like in big cities. I live in one now.. that is to me where I come from the size of a mid size town. I like the fact that I can walk anywhere if need be. The grocery store.. gas stations.. service stations.. and all the (quaint shops) we have cooking, knitting, Art, photo shop art, pottery making classes.. pubs.. eateries.. coffee house.. quilt, floral.. second hand stores.. thrift shops here. For that.. where can I find all this.. without the winters. I plan to purchase my own home one day. I just need a starting state to do so. I may have to travel to California often for business and NY as well. Other then that.. I don't actually have to base where I live around that. I hope someone can help me out. I am not married ..no kids. I was thinking of North Carolina, Maine, Vermont, Virginia, GA, TN, California..(If it were inexpensive), Oregon, Seattle, or North Carolina. I know.. the East Coast I still will experience the winters. I am just not sure I care to anymore.. As you get older.. you want to be out and about and not have that hassle or inconvenience anymore. There is nothing like when you have a ton of running around to do.. or some places to go..being snowed in with cabin fever all winter. Its one thing.. if I were on vacation in a cabin for that very reason..but the winters are much too long and Summers much too short. Texas I is way too hot and I don't want those Sunners either. Canada I even thought about the housing prices are way too expensive.. as is Alaska. Please help

P.S. People in WI. are not very friendly.. rather rude. I like to meet some people make some friends .. can't here.. and lived here for 5 years now. Sad but true..

Also.. the health care system in the Mid West is the worse ever! I love the farmers markets.. and shops.. I love quaintness.. and am artistic. I may want to take classes.

I have loose ends to tie up here with classes I want to take where I live before making a final decision.

Leah

Old 04-16-2011, 11:25 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,034,090 times
Beach Bumz is another good one in MHD City. It's on Arendell St. some where around the 500 block. They make their own potatoe chips! Great veggie panini too!
And LNN is correct-Beaufort Grocery Co is very nice.
And for what ever reason Clawson's on the Beaufort waterfront always seems to have some of the best lightly battered and fried scallops & squid.

A little warning. Although its April, never assume that a coastal restaurant has opened yet or that they are open for more than a few days a week. Each restaurant is unique onto itself and will maintain their own days and hours. Call before you make plans!
Bill

Old 04-16-2011, 03:12 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,904,878 times
to be honest, you can't even go by posted hours in the off-season. I've seen several restaurants, Rap's included, who's operating hours can sometimes be described as "flexible"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Beach Bumz is another good one in MHD City. It's on Arendell St. some where around the 500 block. They make their own potatoe chips! Great veggie panini too!
And LNN is correct-Beaufort Grocery Co is very nice.
And for what ever reason Clawson's on the Beaufort waterfront always seems to have some of the best lightly battered and fried scallops & squid.

A little warning. Although its April, never assume that a coastal restaurant has opened yet or that they are open for more than a few days a week. Each restaurant is unique onto itself and will maintain their own days and hours. Call before you make plans!
Bill

Old 04-17-2011, 06:02 AM

27 posts, read 53,520 times
Last August my family and I visited Morehead. We crossed the bridge to Pine Knoll Shores and stopped at a place called McCurdy's. We loved it. The family that owns it was there and besides great food it was a very friendly atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina