Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 07:48 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
What is a buffer zone? Is that like a riparian buffer, Or was that one of those northern racial segregation things?
Here it is for you, plain and simple. Mid 1960's my dad went to a textile plant in Massachusetts to examine some cutting edge textile machinery. Yes, we used to have a big textile industry in NC. He was a production manager at a plant up in the piedmont.

Anyway, all the folks at the plant wanted to talk about was the "racial situation" in the south. Finally the plant manager stated to my dad, words to the effect, "I don't understand why you southern people just can't get along. Up here, we stay on our side of town and "they" stay on their side of town.

That my friend, is the "buffer."

lln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
BOZD, I always appreciate your posts; you share your opinions well without being overly inflammatory. But, whatever I am hinting at nor not hinting at, I guess I am just more comfortable with the rhythms and ways of my northern upbringing.
When you say "Rhythms and ways" are you talking about those "buffer zones" again?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 PM

228 posts, read 600,993 times
Le Roi, I won't answer your question. I feel like a judge would say to you, "asked and answered."

My question to you: what is wrong with my desire to live in an area I understand? What is wrong with living in an area where I can do a 15 mile ride on my bike and know with certainty that I am safe on those streets?

And, those that know my history of posts, know there are things I like about this area very much...but, that I am trying to leave. Were I a rich man, I would already be living in New Zealand or New England or Finland...have not made up my mind. :-) But, I am making the best of it I can.

But, Greenville IS dangerous. The most dangerous place I have lived because of how it is set up, because the rules are not well defined, because of the social unrest.

And, part of the problem is that poverty abuts prosperity. But, that is only part of the problem. This town is growing far too rapidly...gangs have moved in and the police are not allowed to actually police...everyone seems to want to be politically correct instead of actually addressing the real problems in this area...groups seem more willing to march in support of convicted killers than in defense of the nuclear family, men living with honor, and children actually living with their daddies...

..you get my point...

Last edited by RunningNorm; 04-24-2011 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 02:18 PM

BREAKING NEWS: ECU Student Kidnapped At Gunpoint On Campus

...what was she thinking...packing her car in the middle of the day in Greenville!?!

Oh, wait...Greenville is a safe city, right?!?!

Shenanigans!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 05:12 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,538 times
Yes and Eve Carson's murder automatically makes Chapel Hill worse than Detroit.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:16 PM

BOZD...much respect...but, comparing Chapel Hill to Greenville is like comparing A Rolls Royce to a Yugo....

Old 04-25-2011, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,373 times
I have to agree with RunningNorm. I was in Greenville a couple of weeks ago for an interview, and the following day someone was held up at gunpoint and their car taken at 10 pm at a Walgreens near Evans at Greenville Blvd. I was at that Walgreens the day earlier and I had no indication that my safety should be at jeopardy. It seemed like a pretty nice area. Add to that the recent kidnapping on the ECU campus which seemed safe as well, and I have pretty much decided not to move to the area for the safety of my family. It is rather sad, because I was really excited about the job opportunity.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:48 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey2 View Post
I have to agree with RunningNorm. I was in Greenville a couple of weeks ago for an interview, and the following day someone was held up at gunpoint and their car taken at 10 pm at a Walgreens near Evans at Greenville Blvd. I was at that Walgreens the day earlier and I had no indication that my safety should be at jeopardy. It seemed like a pretty nice area. Add to that the recent kidnapping on the ECU campus which seemed safe as well, and I have pretty much decided not to move to the area for the safety of my family. It is rather sad, because I was really excited about the job opportunity.
You gots to do what you gots to do, but you really need to think this through a bit more. Sure, stuff happens, but there is a lot of good going on in Greenville. You need to gravitate toward that. No place is exempt from crime. Jobs are few and far between.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You gots to do what you gots to do, but you really need to think this through a bit more. Sure, stuff happens, but there is a lot of good going on in Greenville. You need to gravitate toward that. No place is exempt from crime. Jobs are few and far between.
I am staying in Greenville because of my job until hopefully next year. But, crime is NOT everywhere...I am so tired of hearing that as the argument to defend this place!!! That is like saying I know a guy named Bob who drives drunk, therefore all Bobs drive drunk...it makes no sense.

And, as long as we "good" citizens of Greenville accept crime as a matter of course it will run rampant. This is a war friends and we are losing it and the town. And, no one seems to want to make the choices, the real choices to save this town...

Old 04-28-2011, 02:52 PM

6 posts, read 8,727 times
Greenville was an industrial area that had a small college in it that blew up into ECU. The industry slowed but the employees and citizens stayed. Now you have a bunch of people living a little above poverty surrounding a concentrated population of middle class college students. People with less opportunity will always take from those with, hence the many crimes committed on and around campus by people who do not attend the school there, but live in the "ghetto" or whatever you call it. Just watch your back and don't ride through the hood. Don't be naive of reality, and going to college there is really fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina