Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:42 AM

11 posts, read 21,983 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I are seriously considering a move to eastern North Carolina. I'm just having a little trouble trying to figure out where to live.

She is in talks with Lenoir County Public Schools about a teaching job, so she'd likely be working in or very near to Kinston. My main option of work is transferring within my company, but Greenville (and Winterville) is as far east and south as I can get in North Carolina. I should be able to promote from part time to full-time in doing so. We'll both be making entry level salaries, so we won't be raking it in.

We wanted to find somewhere between Greenville and Kinston to live so we could split travel distance.

I just haven't read very good things about the Kinston/Grifton area. Crime rates are high and the area seems to be on a total down swing.

Now, my girlfriend is in love with New Bern. She reads those Nicolas Sparks novels like they're the new Bible. We both live in rural Pennsylvania right now (20 minute drive to decent shopping and an hour drive to Pittsburgh), so we're not too concerned with the lack of nightlife in New Bern, and we don't need an exciting atmosphere... We thoroughly enjoy each other's company and only go out for some night life once a month or so. I hear crime isn't bad and that it is a very quaint town that is growing (thanks a lot to retirees). We're not looking to start a family ANY TIME soon, so we're not too worried about schooling or day care either.

However, do you think it's absurd for her to travel to Kinston and for me to travel to Greenville/Winterville from New Bern everyday for work? Mapquest says it's about an hour to Greenville and 35 minutes to Kinston. We both have small cars with decent gas-mileage, but that's a lot of travel. Also, would cost of living (looking at rentals) be too high for two youngsters in that area?

Can you maybe suggest some better areas between Kinston and Greenville? I heard Ayden is OK.

Thanks!

Last edited by bgeno; 04-02-2011 at 01:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 03:51 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Ayden is okay but it really lacks decent rentals.

Instead of trying to figure out how to get from New Bern to G-ville and Kinston, I think you would find it much easier to live in G-Ville and go to New Bern on the weekends (or after work, it's not far). We're in Greenville and my daughter works in Kinston (medical) and she's never complained about the commute so it must be pretty easy. To get to New Bern you'll have to travel through Vanceboro. Vanceboro is an interesting town and I believe it's one of the true diamonds in the rough here in Eastern Carolina. There has been some commercial development there recently so corporate types of individuals must think there's potential there too.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:34 AM

327 posts, read 602,517 times
I agree with Richard. Kinston is only a 30 min commute from the Winterville/Greenville area down Hwy 11 and it's 4 lane the entire way. Lots of people make that commute with ease. I'd much rather live in Greenville than Kinston.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 AM

451 posts, read 1,913,383 times
My choice would be Winterville...I have to drive through Kinston everyday and it only takes 20 minutes to get there from Winterville. It is a very easy drive. Of course, Greenville is only a few minutes away from Winterville.

There are lots of nice starter homes in Winterville, and there's shopping close by. Ayden would be ok, but it does seem to lack rentals.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:05 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,179,883 times
If your GF is THAT much in love with New Bern, I don't see where a commute to Kinston and Greenville would be that grueling. For those who are familiar--isnt it a 30 or 45 minute drive for each? I don't find that unreasonable.

I used to live in New Bern, and I remember it taking me 40 minutes to get to Greenville.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:20 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
I would live in Winterville. There are a lot of rentals there due to Pitt Community College. Ayden would be my "living limit" when it comes to the area between Greenville and Kinston.

I also agree about going to New Bern on the weekends. I assume you haven't been to either yet. Greenville is a larger city with more amenities.

I would find a rental for six months/1 year in the Greenville metro. If you feel like you can make the New Bern to Greenville trip daily (since you will be going to New Bern on the weekends), then I would move.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 PM

11 posts, read 21,983 times
Winterville is looking more appealing.

Does anyone know of any real estate agencies I can contact about rentals?

Also, when I search, it seems like there are quite a few apartments within my price range on Patton Circle Drive, which is off 11 above Pitt CC on a map. Is this a decent area?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 PM

327 posts, read 602,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno View Post
Winterville is looking more appealing.

Does anyone know of any real estate agencies I can contact about rentals?

Also, when I search, it seems like there are quite a few apartments within my price range on Patton Circle Drive, which is off 11 above Pitt CC on a map. Is this a decent area?
I know what apartments you're talking about, and I'd stay away from them. They're kind of seedy IMO.

However the apartments on the other side of Hwy 11 on South Square Dr. are decent, but I'm not sure what the rent is. Also, you might want to look up some of the apartments on and right off Fire Tower Rd., as that's a pretty good area.

Wainwright Properties manages most of the apartments in the Winterville/Greenville area, so you can look them up and see what they've got.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,030 times
I live in New Bern. well I work in New Bern too.. lucky for me. And I wouldn't want to live in another town. Or course I love the ocean and beach and wouldn't mind living closer, but the town of New Bern is great to live in. If you also have a dog, or would like to get one, I have noticed how many people have them and walk them around the downtown area and in the parks. I know New Bern doesn't have some big stores but I really like Harris Teeter for a supermarket and Target for many other things.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:01 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
You could certainly live in New Bern and work in Kinston. The commute is 35-40 minutes, on US 70, most of which is limited access and very high speed.

Winterville seems a very popular choice for those working in Kinston that do not want to live there. But, you are 45 or so minutes farther from the beach.

Even given Havelock (a bunch of stop lights) getting to the beach from New Bern is very easy.

Winterville is certainly a "younger town" but New Bern is much more interesting.

Good Luck.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina