Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:05 AM

71 posts, read 312,610 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the current status of Waterway Cove in Ocean Isle Beach?We attended a Live South show and we liked their concept in that they didn't have a Club with multiple golf courses and huge membership fees. I'm not sure how far along they are in their development but they are building a small Clubhouse/Pool which is scheduled for completion in a couple of months.
Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 AM

128 posts, read 509,187 times
I work in this area and normally I try not to comment on a subdivision where I may potentially have to provide an appraisal. However I see some major red flags with this subdivision. First of all, Brunswick County is littered with high end subdivisions that are in deep financial trouble. Many have incomplete infrastructure and no amenities. I do not know the financials on Waterway Cove but I wouldn't go anywhere near a subdivision in Brunswick County until 100% of the infrastructure and amenities were complete. Second, I couldn't find any listings or sales in the Brunswick County MLS which tells me the developer may be trying to keep all transactions "in house" and that can potentially be big time bad news. Third, I did a search of the register of deeds to see if any properties had transferred. I found a few lots that "sold" for 100k between Waterboro and Waterway Cove LLC. When it walks, talks and smells like a lot flip it usually is.

With all of the other options available in Brunswick County I wouldn't even consider this place. My best advice is to hire a buyer's agent from one of the local real estate companies.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 PM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,220 times
CA I appreciate your input. What developments in your estimate appear solvent?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 AM

22 posts, read 51,838 times
Actually, infrastructure is complete at Waterway Cove. Recently, there was an article about the developers behind the community.
The article states "they are putting their money where their mouths are. Before they released Waterway Cove for sale to the general public, Clark and Dail infused the development with a tremendous capital outlay in order to complete the infrastructure, roads, numerous homes, parks, bridges, and are nearing completion on the large amenity center clubhouse and pool which will be home to a fitness center, library, meeting room and pool house slated to open May 1, 2011."

This most certainly is 'not a lot flip' as "Carolina Appraiser" eluded to. While Brunswick County has had developers selling a 'vision' and ONLY a vision, Waterway Cove is the real deal. I have been there and would encourage anyone interested in coastal NC to put it on their list of 'must see' communities.

Last edited by tabc08; 02-17-2011 at 09:55 AM..

Old 02-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabc08 View Post
Actually, infrastructure is complete at Waterway Cove. Recently, there was an article about the developers behind the community.
The article states "they are putting their money where their mouths are. Before they released Waterway Cove for sale to the general public, Clark and Dail infused the development with a tremendous capital outlay in order to complete the infrastructure, roads, numerous homes, parks, bridges, and are nearing completion on the large amenity center clubhouse and pool which will be home to a fitness center, library, meeting room and pool house slated to open May 1, 2011."

This most certainly is 'not a lot flip' as "Carolina Appraiser" eluded to. While Brunswick County has had developers selling a 'vision' and ONLY a vision, Waterway Cove is the real deal. I have been there and would encourage anyone interested in coastal NC to put it on their list of 'must see' communities.
The register of deeds doesn't lie. Would you like for me to post up a PDF of the deeds showing the vacant lots that "transferred" among the two developement companies for $100,000 each? There are several.

Nothing in my post was inaccurate. Waterway Cove may turn out to be a fine subdivision when complete but I see multiple factors that say stay away as I pointed out in my previous post. Suspicious lot sales, no activity in the local MLS and incomplete infrastructure show potential for trouble. That's just my opinion but it's based on facts.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM

I did a little more searching and found out that the land that Waterway Cove sits on was purchased in 2007 at the peak of the real estate market for $9.5 million. Assuming a total of about 225 lots the developers have almost $43K invested in each lot as raw land. Add infrastructure and amenity construction, permitting, property taxes, marketing, and debt maintenance and that number probably jumps to $70K before any profit margin is added in. Not good numbers for a real estate market that is saturated with supply with very little demand.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:25 PM

56 posts, read 159,867 times
CarolinaAppraiser can you give me your opinion on Brunswick Plantation.
Thanks in advance

Old 02-17-2011, 04:31 PM

There are no financial issues in Brunswick Plantation that I'm aware of and no "red flags". Generally speaking all of the subdivisions in Brunswick County that were in existance prior to the real estate boom of '05-'06 are stable. Ocean Ridge and St. James have had some minor foreclosure issues in the newer phases but remain stable overall. I can name a dozen Brunswick County subdivisions that where developed during or after '05 that are in various stages of financial distress which is why I'm not optimistic about Waterway Cove.

Old 08-25-2013, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,419 times
Default Waterway Cove

Waterway Cove has new owner and the place is rocking.... come check it out.. new homes being built and some great neighborhood and close to everything! Great Club house and Pool....take a tour..... open most days.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:21 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyoib View Post
Waterway Cove has new owner and the place is rocking.... come check it out.. new homes being built and some great neighborhood and close to everything! Great Club house and Pool....take a tour..... open most days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina