Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 PM

5 posts, read 13,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmiepnp View Post
My husband was just offered a wonderful job in Jacksonville, NC. When we visited I really liked the area and the friendliness of everyone we met. We are very excited about the move but do not know much about the area.

We are from the NY/NJ area and only visited the one time. Any information would be helpful to us as well as a good area to live.

We would like to be within 30 minutes to the main area of Jacksonville. Our plan is to rent for a year until we are able to spend more time to decide where would like to buy. We did visit Swansboro and Emerald Isle and they were very pretty.

Our kids are in college so no concern for schools but really need some help.

Thanks

I think we lost focus here!!
We will have good professional jobs so we would just love some info on the area and the best areas to live. Anyone else have any info for me???

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:31 PM

107 posts, read 257,134 times
Cape Carteret, Swansboro, Cedar Point, Sneads Ferry, Holly Ridge are the better places to live in MHO around Jacksonville...

Lower crime rates, housing vales very stable, good shopping within a short drive...GREAT restuarants...Boating, swimming, cycling, golfing, etc....

GREAT medical facilities...and that means alot...

Old 11-22-2010, 09:13 PM

24 posts, read 53,730 times
Humm really, mind changed again whew so tough to know what to do. thanks macjr82

Old 11-23-2010, 05:11 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
You should still look at the Triangle, but don't negate anything from Pitt County down through New Hanover(Pitt-Greenville, Craven-New Bern, Carteret -Morehead City, Onslow-Jacksonville [skip Pender], and New Hanover-Wilmington. In most of these counties Health Care is the number one or two employer.

Also, you may want to make your own thread, you kind of took over the original poster's thread.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 AM

5 posts, read 13,398 times
Also, you may want to make your own thread, you kind of took over the original poster's thread. [/quote]

My point exactly!!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:16 AM

118 posts, read 279,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
It's funny that you would assume they'd have troubles due to their sexual orientation on the coast in military concentrated areas, when the exact opposite is true. Hell, Fayetteville, the number one military town of military towns in NC has a LGBT club that advertises on their most popular radio station. Somone who is gay would actually have more trouble in the rural communities outside of the military communities on the coast. Wilmington aside. There are reasons why someone wouldn't want to live on the coast or even in a military community, but homophobia isn't one of them.
Having served in the military most of my life, working alongside them every day now, having a best friend who is lesbian, AND as one who is living in Jacksonville: I call it as it is, not how politically correct it is for people. I know how most servicemen think, and I listen opinions on this subject often; in light of the current DADT debate. I meant what I said in my post to her; nothing more or less.

Furthermore, your use of the word "Homophobia" implies a 'fear' of homosexuals- A worn out term used by those politically correct individuals who usually have no idea what they're talking about. One such as you, for example.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:12 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandgold978 View Post
Having served in the military most of my life, working alongside them every day now, having a best friend who is lesbian, AND as one who is living in Jacksonville: I call it as it is, not how politically correct it is for people. I know how most servicemen think, and I listen opinions on this subject often; in light of the current DADT debate. I meant what I said in my post to her; nothing more or less.

Furthermore, your use of the word "Homophobia" implies a 'fear' of homosexuals- A worn out term used by those politically correct individuals who usually have no idea what they're talking about. One such as you, for example.

I'm currently serving, was a Marine brat myself, which I how I got to be from NC. My mom got out and stayed here. I grew up in that area, I also served in that area. I have friends that are gay and lesbian that I went to high school with in that area. I also have gay, lesbian, and bisexual friends that I've served with in that area. I knew a Marine, though straight, stripped in a gay bar in Wilmington. I also know a different Marine that once he got out started working with his openly gay twin brother as a stripper. (they bill them selves as the twin towers). I also had no less than two open lesbian teachers in high school. In the city I'm currently in, that is also a military town, you see openly gay and lesbian students in the high school. If you know how most servicemen think, you know most troops don't give two shakes about DADT, it's an issue mainly for Generals and civilians.

I'll admit my experience may differnt than yours, but there's no way you can invalidate it. In fact, with my ties and the length of time I've been in the area (I've only been out eastern NC for 3 years my entire career which was 3 I spent in Quantico and still visited frequently on the weekends) my opinion is even more valid. Even now I'm in Wayne County.

Though once again, you are getting off the subject of the orignal poster's thread.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 10,521 times
I have for sale or rent 20 min. from main gate or 5 min. from back gate if you would like to see this property.Owners website. www.properties-marketplace.com a must see

Old 11-26-2010, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 10,521 times
If you are thinhing about moving to Eastern NC 10 min from Swansboro, 20 min from main gate 5 min from back. You can visit owners website: Waterway and Ocean with House,owner financing

Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 5,320 times
blackandgold978 hit the nail on the head. Lol. Although I have lived in Jacksonville throughout my whole adolescence and young adult years, homophobia can be found anywhere you go. Just with my experience of being a child of a Marine and the wife of a Sailor, who was born and raised in Jacksonville, I have been surrounded by extremely open minded people. There are two country bars that are well known there and I've only been to one, which would be Gus's. Let me tell you, those folks can surely two step. Outter banks is really nice, but investing in property there or in Emerald Isle isn't the wisest decision due to the damage hurricanes can cause. There are a lot of reality people who can point you to the right direction.

Like blackandgold978 said, Jacksonville apartments are rip offs due to the landlords decision to base it off of the allowance the military is given to live off base. The houses for rent/buy in Richlands and Hubert are relatively avoidable, but they are really slow and are small towns.

Wilmington is about 30-45 min. drive and is the closest city. The weather is extremely bi-polar.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina