Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,061 times

Advertisements

I am looking for information on a possible move to Onslow County.

The things I am looking for are listed below:

A rental house (prefer to avoid apartments if possible) near maysville NC.

Any ideas on employer's in the area, for job seeking.

Any areas to avoid, such as being too rural, congested, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,556,655 times
Here is NC newspapers that you can look at. NC Newspapers by County (broken link) and you should try craigslist.com as well.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:40 PM

928 posts, read 3,855,008 times
Thank you Kareybear.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 PM

245 posts, read 766,246 times
The local paper in Jacksonville (about 16 miles away) would probably have a good selection of rental listings. The New Bern Sun Journal (twenty miles in the other direction) might also have some listings for Maysville. Finally, there's the Eastern North Carolina Today website which has all sorts of info about the area.

Jacksonville Daily News : Homepage
Sun Journal : Homepage
ENCToday.com : Homepage

About Maysville itself: there's not really a lot to it. There's one small supermarket, two gas stations, a Hardees, an Andie's Cheesesteaks, A Dairy Queen, a Dollar store, an auto part's store, a used car lot, a small library, and a post office... plus a small residential area.

On the bright side, Maysville is centrally located between Jacksonville (15-20miles), New Bern (20miles), and the Swansboro/Cape Carteret area (18 miles).

On the not-so-bright side, the local job market is fairly limited. There are jobs, but the local wage scale is very low. If you have experience in a trade like auto mechanics or work in the medical profession, you'd do fine locally. There are a fair amount of service jobs, some jobs on military bases, and a small manufacturing sector.

As far as areas to avoid: not too many that I can think of. I guess it depends on your comfort zone. If you want a slightly quieter residential area with more elbow room, you might try just south of Maysville in the Belgrade Swansboro road area.

Good luck with the search.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 AM

245 posts, read 766,246 times
I totally forgot about a couple of other Maysville businesses: the Seven J's cafe, a landscaping supply yard with piles of stone and gravel out front, a quarry, and a television repair shop that always looked closed. I have a vague memory of seeing a sign for camera repair a few miles down one of the side roads but I never investigated it. There was also a grain mill just south of Maysville, but I believe it has recently closed.

Anyway... I might have forgotten one or two Maysville landmarks, but that's pretty much it for Maysville. Unless you plan on commuting to New Bern you would probably be better off choosing one of the nearby communities like Swansboro, Hubert, or the Piney Green area. They all have better amenities or are closer to Jacksonville.

By the way, if you end up routinely travelling the roads near Maysville... watch out for the log trucks, particularly at intersections. When the log trucks turn a corner, the logs sticking out the back end can pivot into oncoming lanes. Good luck with the move.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,875 times
Default I can helo

Hello,
I am an agent with Coldwell Banker Fountain Realty and I can help you find a home for rent or sale in the Onslow area. Please call our office at 910-455-2977 and I am here from 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday. Thanks!

Nisa
Coldwell Banker Fountain Realty
910-455-2977
nisa.sheikh@coldwellbanker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-diesel View Post

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2007, 02:42 PM

525 posts, read 1,806,133 times
Rentals should not be hard to come by as it is a military town (home to Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base), it is very transient and a lot of younger ppl there. I concur that wages are low and not much industry, medical, automotive, retail, military, possibly construction. It is a nice area for the most..I would probably move towards Swansboro/New Bern too though

Old 08-07-2007, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,864 times
Thank you ... I forgot about the newspapers I am also looking to relocate to the brunswick area
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-diesel View Post

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina