Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 AM

234 posts, read 940,542 times

Advertisements

So here I am sitting in someone else's timeshare in Duck. It's a long story and I won't bore you with the details, but it was an unexpected trip, and I had no time to do any research, which will (I hope) explain some of the dumb questions.

Where is the nearest Supermarket and gas station to Duck?

Can anyone recommend some good spots for sightseeing and picture-taking if I will only be here for a few days?

Any other comments - good or bad - will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,434,642 times
No question is dumb - Duck is quieter but I think there's gas stations there and convenience stores - if you dont have a car, can you rent a bike (not sure where there's places though but prob. on the main drag in Duck) - by the water opposite Scarborough Faire (shopping center), there's small boats and things you can rent, I think (prob. good for picture-taking) - up from there, a few miles away, is a big shopping center but it mostly has small shops (2 levels), seemed like it took me a while to go there and I was driving - it's a nice area but if I needed access to a supermarket, I'd head the opposite way where there's a tourist center and Food Lions, Walmarts etc - unfort. I can't rem. the name of the streets, the Walmarts is right before the tourist center (on the right side) and there's a Food Lion across the str. from the Walmarts (also a small movie theater). Duck is a more remote area compared to Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk where the main hwy is straight and you can sort of see at a glance what's to the right and left, at a glance (also there's many fast-food resetaurants) which makes it pretty easy if you're walking or driving and unfamiliar w/ the area. That said, they all have their advantages, it just takes a while to get used to the 'lay of the land'. Hope you have a great time.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:29 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,248,932 times
Duck is just north of all the Outer Banks beaches that are built up. Just go south of Duck a little ways and you'll see a grocery store and whatnot, like the above poster mentioned. Fun things to do are further south into the towns the poster mentioned, which include movie theaters, endless shopping places and great restaurants, the Wright Memorial museum is good if you're into airplanes, and the big sanddunes Jockey's Ridge in Nags Head is a must. Lots of people love climbing up those things for the view, 360 degrees, you can see both the Sound and the ocean. Also, there's hang gliding and kiting, a glider shop is right across the street with interesting stuff in there. You can also boat on the sound, there are a few spots to rent. In Manteo, that's the island across the sound, the westbound bridge is further south of Nags Head, and their "downtown" on the water has a replica of one of Columbus's ships, plus there's the Elizabethan Gardens, and they have evening outdoor performances of The Lost Colony. If you do go all the way down to Manteo, just as you bear right into their "main drag," there's a Christmas Shoppe, go in there, really amazing place.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:54 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,268,827 times
Go visit all the historical sites. Jockeys Ridge (Wright Brothers), Roanoke Island (Lost Colony), Hatteras Island (Hatteras Light), etc etc

Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 PM

234 posts, read 940,542 times
Many thanks for the replies. I am now back home in Pennsylvania, but I finally found everything that I needed.

We went to the Currituck Island Lighthouse, Bodie Island Lighthouse, Carova Beach, and Hatteras. Very nice area, but I would never buy a timeshare - anywhere!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,268,827 times
So can we assume you had a good time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina