Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 6,794 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]I am thinking of relocating to Wilmington or another southern costal city and was wondering if anybody could help me out with my discussion. I want to hear from someone who lives there and could give me there opinion. I am a single male in my mid 20's. [/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 AM

610 posts, read 3,015,195 times
I lived in Wilmington for seven months and I hated every minute of it.

If I was in your shoes, I would steer clear of Wilmington for the following reasons:
1)Simply put, there are no jobs in the area. If you do end up finding a job it is most likely going to be a minimum wage retail or fast food job.
I know several people who possess advanced degrees in technical fields who are working for a little more than minimum wage.

2)The city has a rather high crime rate.

3)There are many parts of the city that are not visually appealing.

4) The cost of living is rather high for NC.

5) The "good ole boy" system is alive and well in Wilmington. Many Wilmington natives do not like outsiders, especially people from the "Yankee States"...

Wilmington is nothing more than a summer tourist area and a retirement location for rich Northerners. The whole city basically caters to providing services for retirees.

If you think you are going to move to Wilmington, find a decent paying job/with benefits, and spend your spare time at the beach, I would think again.

Type Wilmington, NC into the search engine and see what people are saying...

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2020 at 06:17 AM..

Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,794 times
Thank you

Old 03-02-2015, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
wilmington is what you make it just like any other town. if you want a job there is plenty out here you just have to apply yourself and not be lazy! i mean it very much is more of a vacation spot but i have lived here all my life (22 yrs) AND I KNOW THAT YOU GET WHAT YOU GO AFTER NO ONE IS JUST GOING TO GIVE YOU ANY THING OR JOB. having a degree doesn't have anything to do with it. you live how you want to just dont come with nothing expecting everything

Old 03-03-2015, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 15,846 times
Wilmington is a great town. It has everything plus the beach close by. It is an 'old town', but people are moving here from all over the country (and the world) so you have a growing diversity. There are lots of great neighborhoods, if downtown isn't for you. And Wilmingon is still small enough to get around easily and traffic is nothing compared to larger cities.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,417 times
I'm an RN and I currently work in a Psychiatric Hospital. Does anyone have any thoughts on the job outlook for Psych Nurses in the area?

Old 03-03-2015, 07:27 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmatt72 View Post
I'm an RN and I currently work in a Psychiatric Hospital. Does anyone have any thoughts on the job outlook for Psych Nurses in the area?
There are not a lot of listings, but you should check with the Brynn Marr Hospital in Jacksonville. Brynn Marr Hospital

I checked Indeed.com, and there are a couple of listings at East Carolina and Vidant in Greenville, as well as a correctional facility. One listing in Wilmington. You could probably turn up others.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,417 times
Thanks for the reply goldenage1. I'm finding that myself that there aren't many jobs posted in Psych.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina