Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times

Advertisements

Try Lakewood or Rocky River. I know many people who work at the Clinic who live there. I believe people have the perception it's far away -- 10-20 minutes isn't far.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia22773 View Post
I found this comment interesting from a previous post..."The areas south of Van Aken (except for the Sussex area south of Van Aken and east of Lynnfield) is geographically close to Cleveland, at least some of the blocks consist of a higher proportion of rental housing, and the area is relatively more African American (that alone being enough to poison the impressions of many people on this site). " My question...what kind of site is this?? I'm offended...being African American.
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm mixed myself and much of this site is comprised of people of different races. Of course like any website, you are going to get people who have different views/racism.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
I like Shaker Heights, but it's a mix between Shaker and Cleveland Heights. Both are great and diverse. I will also agree with Lakewood.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:53 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Try Lakewood or Rocky River. I know many people who work at the Clinic who live there. I believe people have the perception it's far away -- 10-20 minutes isn't far.
Ten minutes from Lakewood to the Cleveland Clinic? Doubtful. From Rocky River to the Clinic? Impossible.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM

10 posts, read 24,547 times
Shaker Heights is a great community with very strong schools. I am a Shaker grad, and my kids are enrolled in Shaker schools - we have been consistenly thrilled with the quality of education they are receiving. We have only positive things to say about the schools and the neighborhoods. Shaker has excellent rental opportunities, too - many which are two-family homes with a nice yard, in safe quiet neighborhoods. Best of luck with your search!

Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM

124 posts, read 713,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Ten minutes from Lakewood to the Cleveland Clinic? Doubtful. From Rocky River to the Clinic? Impossible.

Made the drive from Beachcliff in RR to Wilbur Lot every day for about a year. Took 25 minutes as long as there was no snow/construction/accident which was about 2 weeks out of the year

Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia22773 View Post
I found this comment interesting from a previous post..."The areas south of Van Aken (except for the Sussex area south of Van Aken and east of Lynnfield) is geographically close to Cleveland, at least some of the blocks consist of a higher proportion of rental housing, and the area is relatively more African American (that alone being enough to poison the impressions of many people on this site). " My question...what kind of site is this?? I'm offended...being African American.
You should be. Don't ask why, living in Boston, I'm fascinated by the Cleveland forum. I just am. I haven't been to Cleveland in many years - a place I like a lot, BTW, mainly because of the incredibly elegant development of its older streetcar suburbs like Shaker Heights.

But the level of overt racism - even compared to cities like Boston, NYC, and Pittsburgh, with which I'm very familiar - continues to be astonishing. And, it really saddens me that nothing has really changed. If you read through the many posts about where to live on this forum, the not-so-subtle racism is ever present. You can literally map where black people live based on responses here - down to the street level, as posted above.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 PM

73 posts, read 171,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
You should be. Don't ask why, living in Boston, I'm fascinated by the Cleveland forum. I just am. I haven't been to Cleveland in many years - a place I like a lot, BTW, mainly because of the incredibly elegant development of its older streetcar suburbs like Shaker Heights.

But the level of overt racism - even compared to cities like Boston, NYC, and Pittsburgh, with which I'm very familiar - continues to be astonishing. And, it really saddens me that nothing has really changed. If you read through the many posts about where to live on this forum, the not-so-subtle racism is ever present. You can literally map where black people live based on responses here - down to the street level, as posted above.
How you're coming to this conclusion from your computer screen in Boston (while admitting you haven't been to Cleveland in "many years") is beyond me. Because of posts on this forum? Seriously?

I'm not saying it's not an issue here (and everywhere else in the U.S.), but things HAVE changed, and if you appreciate the city like you claim to, you might want to visit and spend a little time before you start expressing how astonished you are. If you still think nothing's changed (and I have no clue what era you're basing this off of), OK, then that's your opinion, but at least it would be based on something other than real estate tips on an internet forum. Don't you think that a city you supposedly "like a lot" deserves at least that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland