Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 16,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
^^^

I agree.

Whenever I hear people say "Cleveland is boring" I have to laugh. Especially since a lot of those people either haven't been outside of it to compare it to anything or have only been to places like NYC.

If you say Cleveland is boring you need to take a good look in the mirror, because it's probably you who's the boring one lol.
Thanks for agreeing with me!

I also have to say that this is the reason why I become Cleveland's number one tour guide EVERY TIME an old friend comes back to town. I just love showing off my favorite places. And for many of these friends, they left Cleveland after high school or college and have no idea what's actually here for the over-21 crowd into arts, music, nightlife, etc. Many other friends who just pass through town on business always compliment our city saying how nice the people are or how memorable the different places have been for them. These are people I know from all over the US and the world. So chin up, Clevelanders. It's actually pretty nice here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:45 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
Perception is subjective. If you think it's bad, then it's bad. I don't

Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,077 times
This outsider and frequent visitor agrees with Peregrine, Jenny, etc. It's underrated.

But it is also massively overtaxed and corrupt which is depressing. If/when we move back, it's not likely to be in Cuyahoga County (unless things change drastically)... though I'm sure we'll be spending a lot of our discretionary dollars in Cuyahoga County - Applebee's and the suburban malls just don't cut it in Cleveland or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:50 AM

256 posts, read 736,402 times
Cleveland is the scapegoat of America. Point the finger at Cleveland. It got a bad rap when the river caught on fire and anyone who is uneducated about the area makes fun of it.
It has gone down hill economically and is in need of repair. But, most of America is heading in its direction.
If some one can get in there, use this viable water, create more jobs, Cleveland will turn around. It is a great location, a beautiful area and has ALOT to offer.
Who ever said Cleveland is boring, is just stupid!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:38 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
I'm a former resident and enjoy visiting the area. I get here on business almost once a month and visit in-laws during Holdays. We always liked area and the city we lived in (Chagrin) but the weather didn't agree after living here for decades. We are spending time at family lake home this week, this weather stinks, it's been 60 and rain most of week and can't get on lake without wet suit. I do like the news better here as there is always something going on with sports teams and the corrupt politicians....very bland news in carolinas.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:46 PM

682 posts, read 1,579,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
Who ever said Cleveland is boring, is just stupid!
"Boring" is a highly subjective and individualized term.

Cleveland is definitely not boring. No it is not the best in everything (example: I would miss the awesome snow skiing that is an hour's drive away from me here in Portland, and no Boston Mills doesn't even come close), but there is a ton of stuff to do in CLE, more than most other metros that are the same size IMO (and no please don't start arguing with me about Seattle or Philly or someplace where, if you'd look, you'd see that those metros are much larger).

Perceptions are often colored by a visit... like the guy in the other thread who thought that Philly's downtown was lame without realizing that he was nowhere near downtown when he visited. If you don't know where to go it's very easy to miss the treasures of a city.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
I had an absolute blast the five years I lived in Cleveland despite taking a lot of garbage for choosing Cleveland over Irvine, CA.

Low housing costs, friendly people, and a lot of things to do were some of the advantages. I don't understand how Cleveland can be considered "overpriced", especially compared with the two coasts.

Now as a tourist destination, it would not make my top twenty in the Midwest.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 AM

25 posts, read 69,969 times
Couple responses:

1) While I agree that Cleveland offers some good restaurants, museums and a world renowned orchestra, that means little to those who can't find a job to have discretionary funds to enjoy them. Our unemployment rate is way above the national average.

2) I believe that Cleveland is overpriced for what it offers. The only affordable part of Cleveland is home value although we have some of our city's problems to thank for that. (We're earned the title "Foreclosure City" on an ABC News report.) But other costs, primarily food, utilities and taxes, push us into overpriced. According to CNN Money, you'll need more money to live in Cleveland than Dallas, Pittsburgh, Charleston, Louisville, St. Louis, Atlanta, Houston, Albuquerque, Columbus, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville and Austin. Frankly, I would rather have a higher home cost/value and save on utilities, food and taxes.

3) I agree that parents are the key piece in student success but deteriorating schools don't help. When my kids don't make it school because the wiring caught fire, the ceiling leaked or the furnace broke down, they aren't learning. Not to mention lack of classes or technology due to budget issues.

And that TripAdvisor.com survey didn't just say Cleveland was boring, it voted Cleveland as the MOST boring city in the US. Obviously showing some of our restaurants, stadiums and museums will help, but Cleveland is people and people need more.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:47 PM

78 posts, read 325,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemama2 View Post
Couple responses:

1) While I agree that Cleveland offers some good restaurants, museums and a world renowned orchestra, that means little to those who can't find a job to have discretionary funds to enjoy them. Our unemployment rate is way above the national average.

2) I believe that Cleveland is overpriced for what it offers. The only affordable part of Cleveland is home value although we have some of our city's problems to thank for that. (We're earned the title "Foreclosure City" on an ABC News report.) But other costs, primarily food, utilities and taxes, push us into overpriced. According to CNN Money, you'll need more money to live in Cleveland than Dallas, Pittsburgh, Charleston, Louisville, St. Louis, Atlanta, Houston, Albuquerque, Columbus, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville and Austin. Frankly, I would rather have a higher home cost/value and save on utilities, food and taxes.

3) I agree that parents are the key piece in student success but deteriorating schools don't help. When my kids don't make it school because the wiring caught fire, the ceiling leaked or the furnace broke down, they aren't learning. Not to mention lack of classes or technology due to budget issues.

And that TripAdvisor.com survey didn't just say Cleveland was boring, it voted Cleveland as the MOST boring city in the US. Obviously showing some of our restaurants, stadiums and museums will help, but Cleveland is people and people need more.
1) You do realize that some of the museums are free, right? Also, I find that the restaurants are reasonably priced and most people can afford it (and if you don’t have a job then why would you worry about these things? The only things the unemployed should be worried about are home/rent prices, grocery prices, and finding a job). Lastly, you are over exaggerating the unemployment rate. Yes, it is over the National average, but only by 0.5% (National is 9.5% and the Cleveland-Akron-Elyria MSA is 10.1%). At least we are not in Detroit, MI, Fresno, CA (15%) or in El Centro, CA (26.5%); now those are way over the national average.

2) You think food costs are high? Have you ever been to Chicago, NYC (well, New York State in general), DC, most of Florida, or California? Food prices in Cleveland are not bad and we have amazing restaurants that are very inexpensive. As for utilities and taxes, I think that you exaggerate and I am pretty sure that your data for Cleveland is not accurate (I think it is for Cuyahoga in general, not the actually city of Cleveland). And you can get way more for your money here than you can in Dallas, Charleston, Louisville, St. Louis, Atlanta, Houston, Albuquerque, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville, and Austin because of the amenities that Cleveland offers and the overall quality of our city. Cleveland is also cheaper (and comparable in lifestyle options) than Boston, Chicago, New York City, D.C., etc. The tax issue has been discussed in length in this thread.

3) How often have your kids missed school because of the things that you listed? I think that you can get a good education anywhere as long as you care about your education (i.e. want to learn) and as long as you have an active parent(s) in your life who wants you to exceed and do well in school. I think the lack of such a parent is the main problem with Cleveland City Schools.

The tripadvisor.com poll, how accurate is it, because my experiences differ from their findings. I love Cleveland; there is so much to do. I love visiting the many unique and fun neighborhoods (Downtown, Ohio City, Tremont, Gordon Square, Battery Park, Detroit Shoreway in general, Little Italy, University Circle, Shaker Square, Coventry, etc.) as well as going to the art museum (which has free exhibits), window shopping (in the neighborhoods mentioned above; like independent stores and art galleries), going to the West Side Market (which is free if you don’t want to buy any food, but how could you resist), taking a trip to Lakeview Cemetery and visiting the Garfield Monument (also free), and I love going to the parks (I especially love watching the sun set at Edgewater).

Now, is Cleveland perfect? No, but every city has problems. I personally think that it is people like you who hold this city/region back. Instead of complaining about the negatives and proclaiming that the city is boring, why don’t you get involved in the community and make the change that you desire? Or, why don’t you just take a walk around some of the wonderful neighborhoods, parks, etc that are in the city?

Last edited by andrew0816; 07-05-2009 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativemama2 View Post

I call BS on this entire reply.

If the average cost of living in the US is rated at 100:
Cleveland: 78
Pittsburgh: 84
Dallas: 93
Austin: 96
Charleston: 107
Atlanta: 112

Do I need to continue?

Numbers pulled from this reputable website:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
This website takes much more then simple home prices into account.

The one city that you didn't mention that does have a lower COL that I am aware of personally is Memphis because I researched it alot. I almost moved there.
Memphis: 74

As for the unemployment rate being 10%.... that means that 90% of people HAVE jobs. That's a lot of employed people. Noone ever sees the flipside of that stat.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland