Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 AM

7 posts, read 24,697 times

Advertisements

I've done some digging on this site to find that the RTA is pretty good, although limited at night and that some rapid stations are not very safe. I'll be living in Cleveland Heights within walking distance to CWRU (where I'll be working). I imagine I'll be using one of the rapid stations frequently to get downtown and to other areas. However, I read that the two stations in UC are quite dicey. Are the buses any different (in terms of safety?)

So, how safe is the RTA in general and what options do I have as a woman on her own have for moving around at night without a car?

Sorry if this seems vague and vast; I can refine if necessary.

GN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 AM

181 posts, read 838,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatNorth View Post
I imagine I'll be using one of the rapid stations frequently to get downtown and to other areas. However, I read that the two stations in UC are quite dicey. Are the buses any different (in terms of safety?) So, how safe is the RTA in general and what options do I have as a woman on her own have for moving around at night without a car?
I've done it many times - usually going to the airport before sunrise or coming from the airport after sunset. One issue is that if you have to go up or down the hill, it can be a bit of a pain.

The bus is more likely to take you closer to your doorstep, but it will be slower and run less frequently.

On another note - City Wheels is supposed to be putting 4 new cars downtown and 1 new car on Cedar Fairmont (in addition to the 1 on Murray Hill and the 1 on the north side of University Circle). I'm not sure if they are available yet... they were supposed to be by this summer. It's definitely more expensive than RTA, but still a lot cheaper than owning a car.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:22 AM

Thanks, Orion1778! So, I take it that both stations are safe by your judgment and experience?

Don't drive AT ALL, so City Wheels won't help, but living in Cleveland may finally force me to get a drivers' permit. I come from a big city where transit is the way to go!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:35 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,284,985 times
I ride those stations everyday, but I also live closer. if its not too far from where you live, there is a set of yellow stairs that cut through CWRU campus that are much easier to go up and down than Cedar for the Cedar/UC stop. I've been able to live a car-free lifestyle here in Cleveland now for the past two years, and I really can't wait until the Euclid Corridor is finished.

Google also calculates public transportation routes: Google Transit

And this site has some good information on Cleveland Public Transit: The Great Cleveland RTA Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:54 AM

181 posts, read 838,189 times
Quote:
Thanks, Orion1778! So, I take it that both stations are safe by your judgment and experience?
I never use the station on the north side of University Circle. It has the fewest riders of any station in the system (at least it did when RTA wanted to close it down for lack of ridership) and the station itself is in a bit of an urban wasteland. The new "Little Italy Station" they plan on building will be infinitely more useful and convenient when it opens. From the north side of University Circle, I always use the 6 bus, which operates frequently, albeit painfully slowly, though the Euclid corridor should fix that.

The station on the south side of University Circle has much higher ridership; there will usually be other riders waiting in the station with you, and there are usually two attendants at the station (at least during the busiest hours).

Quote:
I come from a big city where transit is the way to go!
I hope you're not disappointed. RTA is great by some standards, but if you are coming from a city where having a driver's license is an afterthought (I suspect there are maybe 4 or 5 cities in this country that could fit that description) then it's going to be a totally different world.

Last edited by orion1778; 07-17-2008 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanks, Orion1778! Yes, I suspect Cleveland will be a whole new world--on all different levels. I'm preparing myself mentally, but I know there's nothing like lived experience to answer all these questions that newcomers to Cleveland post on this forum.

Where would the 6 Bus take me? I can check the RTA schedule myself, but if you feel inclined to answer, please do!

Old 07-20-2008, 06:33 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,923,957 times
IMO, I think the RTA around University Circle is pretty safe. The RTA in general is pretty safe, but once in a while you do hear things like shootings/stabbings/robberies, but I doubt that most of those are random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland