Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 12:24 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times

Advertisements

I maintain that a CVSR extension into Tower City could serve 2 masters: tourism and (some) commuter. Having a Tower City headquarters/main station would absolutely spur historic train trips into the beautiful CVNP. Few big cities, if any (I know of), host historic railroad trips of this nature from their downtowns, so Cleveland would be unique in this instance. The side benefit of this, of course, could be a major boost for the Tower City 'Avenue' shopping mall/food court.

But I do also believe the CVSR rail line could provide 1-way (morning in/evening out) commuting into downtown Cleveland. TOD would obviously be very limited within the CVNP itself -- the historic town of Penninsula would provide, perhaps, the lone opportunity within the park itself. Penninsula already is the lone commercial center along the CVSR and, even now, attracts many train riders to pause their trips or even target the town as a destination.

Commuters into Cleveland could drive to, park, and board at places like the Brecksville station -- where, probably, the parking lot could be expanded. But Akron Northside/downtown and Valley View would probably be the major commuting stations. In fact, RTA (should they take over some jurisdiction over the rail line), could run 'short turn' trains between downtown and Valley View for 1 stop or express trains along this 8-mile stretch. TOD could grow around the Valley View station.

As for rolling stock, RTA could operate full-size commuter trains. However, given the objections that make come re potential "damage" to the CVNP, RTA may want to opt for smaller, lightweight self-propelled DMU trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 04:01 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
Some investment in the city of East Cleveland along the red line, from NEOtrans:
https://neo-trans.blog/2022/09/09/mo...an-to-reality/

Will be interesting to see how this progresses, seems to be the first big investments for gentrification into East Cleveland. I didn't think this would happen until Cleveland annexed East Cleveland, providing governmental stability. If East Cleveland can prove to be a good steward of gentrification, this could continue up Euclid to the Windermere station.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:26 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Some investment in the city of East Cleveland along the red line, from NEOtrans:
https://neo-trans.blog/2022/09/09/mo...an-to-reality/

Will be interesting to see how this progresses, seems to be the first big investments for gentrification into East Cleveland. I didn't think this would happen until Cleveland annexed East Cleveland, providing governmental stability. If East Cleveland can prove to be a good steward of gentrification, this could continue up Euclid to the Windermere station.
This looks very interesting. Even now in such a totally dilapidated state, EC has potential and a good chunk of that potential is both its location adjacent to UC and, of course, the heavy-rail Red Line through its core (and the 24/7 Healthline supplementing the Red Line).

I also believe that, since RTA relocated the Little Italy station away from Euclid E. 120, there is too large a gap btw the Little Italy and Superior stations. It would make sense to construct an infill Red Line station at Lakeview, esp with all the current development on the Glenville side (including converting the adjacent Hough Bakery building into apts), along with this new planned high-density development planned for East Cleveland. It's quite fascinating they've retained the old Art Deco Mickey's car repair/painting building -- we had our car serviced there when I was a kid way back when. The Circle East townhomes were built along Euclid around 15-20 years ago, and seem to have held up, well.

I believe the Van Sweringens originally planned for a Lakeview station in the late 1920s when they started constructing what's now the Red Line (of course the Vans went bust in the Depression and construction was halted until CTS finished the job in the 1950s. Because of this, I believe an old, unused station "vault" is buried under the Red Line bridge abutment over Lakeview Ave, much like there was one at the Little Italy station site which RTA used, saving the agency millions.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:11 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
Waterfront Line needs extended along the CSX right of way to at least Eastlake. Park and Rides along the way. Can't believe it hasn't happened yet. (E185, E 152, etc etc)

Old 09-12-2022, 12:33 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Waterfront Line needs extended along the CSX right of way to at least Eastlake. Park and Rides along the way. Can't believe it hasn't happened yet. (E185, E 152, etc etc)
Yep. Huge huge huge missed oppurtunity.

Old 10-26-2022, 05:31 PM

Some possible TOD near the West Blvd Red Line Station

https://neo-trans.blog/2022/10/25/af...t-rta-station/

Very preliminary, but this developer has TOD projects on the east side.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:32 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Some possible TOD near the West Blvd Red Line Station

https://neo-trans.blog/2022/10/25/af...t-rta-station/

Very preliminary, but this developer has TOD projects on the east side.
This is interesting. But I'm always skeptical when they say "affordable" housing. $500K is not affordable, for example.

Old 10-28-2022, 03:45 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
There are plans to improve the Van Aken District, including a new rapid station (with a slightly different track alignment), and improved pedestrian access from Chagrin Blvd.

The bus portion of the plan seems quasi-BRT in how it will have designated stops for each route and digital signage with arrival updates.

Van Aken District Public Realm

Slide Deck (PDF file)

Poor bike and ped access from both Chagrin and Winslow has been a pet peeve of mine ever since the district opened, so I am pleased to see it being addressed.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:54 AM

191 posts, read 275,951 times
Extend RTA Blue Line to Akron? Has this been studied and rejected?

- 29 miles as cars drive today...
- From Green Rd RTA station to Rt8 & Rt163 in NE downtown Akron (via Shaker Blvd, Richmond Rd, Chagrin Blvd, I-271 & Rt8)
- Initially dedicated dual bus (BRT) lane (optionally) later be efficiently "tracked" (and elevated if warranted) segment-by-segment, lane-by-lane
- Minimal RoW costs and few bridges/tunnels following highway routes
- Five Stops @: 1) Beachwood/Highland Hills/Tri-C (East)/Orange, 2) Warrensville Hts, 3) Bedford Hts, 4) Northfield/Macedonia/Twinsburg/CVNP, 5) Cuyahoga Falls/Stow
- Feeder buses from UofA/Akron General, Tri-C, CC (main campus + Hillcrest),CVNP?
- Ridership potential? Projected population/job growth in SE Cuyahoga, E Geauga, Summit counties?

Old 10-31-2022, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
Extend RTA Blue Line to Akron? Has this been studied and rejected?

- 29 miles as cars drive today...
- From Green Rd RTA station to Rt8 & Rt163 in NE downtown Akron (via Shaker Blvd, Richmond Rd, Chagrin Blvd, I-271 & Rt8)
- Initially dedicated dual bus (BRT) lane (optionally) later be efficiently "tracked" (and elevated if warranted) segment-by-segment, lane-by-lane
- Minimal RoW costs and few bridges/tunnels following highway routes
- Five Stops @: 1) Beachwood/Highland Hills/Tri-C (East)/Orange, 2) Warrensville Hts, 3) Bedford Hts, 4) Northfield/Macedonia/Twinsburg/CVNP, 5) Cuyahoga Falls/Stow
- Feeder buses from UofA/Akron General, Tri-C, CC (main campus + Hillcrest),CVNP?
- Ridership potential? Projected population/job growth in SE Cuyahoga, E Geauga, Summit counties?
Its been studied, accepted, implemented, utilized, decommissioned, and removed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akron,...eland_Railroad

Some ideas are just timeless I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland