Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 11:10 AM

227 posts, read 198,317 times

Advertisements

For some positive news:

Plans adjusted for Franklin Circle apartments project in Ohio City

Quote:
Tom McNair, executive director of Ohio City Inc., the West Side neighborhood’s community development corporation, said the project has evolved significantly based on an “intense community process” during which project leaders made changes to address some of the residents’ concerns.

Some owners of nearby properties, for example, were concerned about how a multi-family building would fit in with the neighborhood. In response, “There were a lot of things done to accommodate the houses nearby, in terms of scale and setbacks,” McNair said.

Renderings provided last spring show a dark brick façade, while current renderings depict a light-brown brick exterior. The top story remains dark, and is set back from the rest of the building. Early plans included 119 residential units and 5,000 to 7,000-square feet of retail, which has changed to 116 residential units and 8,000 square feet of retail.

McNair said numerous design changes have made the site more pedestrian-friendly, such as creating walk-up units along West 28th and incorporating a pedestrian walk-through area on Dexter Place. The project is being designed by Dimit Architects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 PM

237 posts, read 249,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
So far at least, the VAD restaurants seem to be catering to a different restaurant market than Shaker Square. Despite VAD retail being high end, the restaurant offerings are more like a mall food court, just without the national chains.

I don't see a lot of overlap between the $5-15 casual experience at VAD and the dedicated traditional sit-down restaurants in Shaker Square, which run across the entire price spectrum.

One complaint I've had with Shaker Heights/Shaker Square in general is the lack of bars. There are places that serve alcohol, but there are no neighborhood watering holes, which strikes me as odd given how community minded everything else is in Shaker. Hopefully the VAD will fix this.
I hope no one thinks I'm splitting hairs but the restaurants and shops of Shaker Square are within the City of Cleveland's limits. The borders in that area are a real head scratcher.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:35 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
So, I attended two out of the three community meetings. The first at Shaker Heights Library was packed...standing room only. Participants were older, mainly white and mostly from the Shaker Heights area. A near riot ensued over the "closing" of Shaker Blvd. Others may have understood this better than I, but in at least two possible options of the design, Shaker Blvd is not actually closed. It's more like the square becomes a giant round-about or traffic circle and the traffic just flows around the grassy area to continue onto Shaker Blvd on the other side...hope that makes sense. I had envisioned it as the Blvd just ended once you hit the square in either direction and that is not actually the case.

Anyway, I thought the presentation was very well done and presented the rationale behind the entire project, as well as allowing feedback on the four possible designs. I also attended the Shaker Square/North Union presentation. Crowd was a bit younger, still mainly white/middle/upper class type professionals/retirees. Also very well attended. Nowhere near the hysteria over the "closure" issue as at the first meeting. Questions at both meetings regarding how the final decision will be made/ensuring input is taken into consideration.

I was mainly impressed with the larger picture of revitalizing the entire area and happy to hear there are already plans in the works for some of the worst areas. I didn't realize a mixed-use project was planned for the Van Aken building at the edge of the square...it is just an unutilized eyesore. Also they are hoping for enhanced parking/better connections between the neighborhoods/more/varied retail. And there is a plan to improve Buckeye as well, which is where it seems it is most needed! (IMHO)

Overall, it seems to me a good idea. With the retail and services and being right on the rapid line into downtown, etc. the area seems to me to be overripe for some serious TOD. If they get it right, this could really be a hot/hip area....which means I'll have to move. Oh well.

Thanks for posting this report. Do you think Shaker Blvd. should be closed to increase the park area and make Shaker Square more pedestrian friendly? Do you think that public would support such a plan?

Old 02-27-2019, 03:45 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeTilIDie View Post
I have to disagree with the food court comment...anyone who has had the Pork Banh Mi from On the Rise will tell you it blows an Auntie Anne's pretzel dog out of the water (if they're even willing to admit they have had the latter). It is evident the developers are taking cues from elevated food halls that are becoming more prevalent nationally and abroad (Foodhallen in Amsterdam and Mercato Centrale in Florence are two of my favorites). I will say that the restaurant density needs to increase before the Hall can see its true potential, and from what I have heard, some other appealing options are in the works. In the meantime, they are making creative use of the extra space, with the North Union Farmer's Market setting up shop every week in March, Cleveland Flea pop ups occurring over the holidays, and a multitude of family-oriented events occurring more sporadically.

Michael's Genuine and Jonathan Sawyer's to-be-announced restaurant should help round out the dining offerings and add some happy hour options, but I do not know that the district will ever be a drinking destination.

Actually, it appears that Van Aken restaurants will offer serious competition to Shaker Square eateries. I'm actually now concerned about the survival of my long-time favorite, the Balaton.

Banter, recently named by Forbes as one of the best restaurant meals in the U.S., has opened its second location in the VAD. It's the only Cleveland restaurant that made the Forbes list.

Banter Cleveland

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...s-of-2018.html

As you noted, Michael's Genuine and Jonathan Sawyer certainly will add to the heft of the dining options in the VAD. And the presence of a Mitchell's ice cream store for dessert is a great advantage.

Michael's Genuine® Food & Drink - The Van Aken District | Mixed-Use Real Estate in Shaker Heights, OH

Old 02-27-2019, 01:03 PM

1,305 posts, read 855,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Thanks for posting this report. Do you think Shaker Blvd. should be closed to increase the park area and make Shaker Square more pedestrian friendly? Do you think that public would support such a plan?
The meeting participants were mainly not in favor of an actual closure....hoping that the development group posts results on their FB site soon...in fact, I should go check it! thisisshsq.com

Wondering what is going in the North Union Building now.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:18 AM

https://www.crainscleveland.com/tech...e-finding-home

If Blockland is not new construction, my hope is it takes up the space at 45 Erieview Plaza, now known as The Ellipse.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:13 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
They are starting to install the brown panels on the new Beacon apartment tower.

https://forum.urbanohio.com/uploads/...dc9280114c.jpg

Last edited by 1watertiger; 03-03-2019 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
They are starting to install the brown panels on the new Beacon apartment tower.

https://forum.urbanohio.com/uploads/...dc9280114c.jpg
Can't wait to see the finished product! Not sure if I'm the only one but the yellow blur in my peripheral while eastbound on the innerbelt has grown on me

Old 03-05-2019, 08:19 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
Now this could be a game changer for downtown.

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/...ecome.html?m=1

Old 03-05-2019, 09:57 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Now this could be a game changer for downtown.

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/...ecome.html?m=1
Wow! That would be amazing for the city, and Tower City would be the perfect location for something like that. I really hope it comes to fruition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland