Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 08:13 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
I've been to both places many times. When I go to Jungle Jim's I can buy the same products I would buy as if I were in Italy, Spain, Greece, France, etc. Why? Because that is where they come from. I simply cannot do that to the same extent at West Side Market.
The West Side Market was never, ever a grocery store largely devoted to the purveyance of processed foods, whether domestic or imported. From the time of its construction, it had butcher shops and freezers in its basement. It is an architectural gem, and likely the best of the turn-of-the-century market buildings in North America (see first paragraph here).

Visitors to the West Side Market can experience living history, visualizing the time when street cars roamed America's streets, residential refrigerators and personal cars were very rare, supermarkets had not yet been invented, and obtaining fresh food was a chore made immensely easier by public markets, such as the West Side Market; these public markets greatly were built to increase public health. With its clock tower and vaulted ceiling with Gaustavino tile, the West Side Market is a joy to behold.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...de.Market.html

The West Side Market is on the National Register of Historic Places. It's adjacent to downtown Cleveland with very robust, including rail rapid, mass transit connections. An entire market district has grown up around it (see the above linked discussion). It has played an historic role as a community anchor in Cleveland for over a century.

Jungle Jim's, by comparison, is an overgrown, suburban supermarket specializing in imported packaged and processed goods. Its offerings are inferior to specialized ethnic markets, such as Galucci's for Italian foods in Cleveland.

The uniqueness of Jungle Jim's also is tempered by the development of giant supermarkets such as Giant Eagle Market District stores, which offer a large number of the most popular imported packaged and processed foods.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-29-2018 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 10:41 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
Someone needs to step up and give fellow Ohioans the shopping experience they deserve. Cleveland needs a place like Jungle Jims.

200k square feet of shopping space....
180k worth of products....
Over 20 aisles devoted to imported foods from almost every country imaginable...

Folks in Cleveland shouldn't have to drive 4 hours just to experience this. The West Side Market has been a good band-aid but enough is enough.
My god is this debate still a thing?
Do we have to turn everything into this country into a Trader Joe's? Albeit with a broken hillbilly SW Ohio monorail?
WSM is iconic...and public. Thank God. Current issues are just a bump in the road in its awesome history.
If you want a better parallel, use Cincy's Findlay Market.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:43 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
There's nothing wrong with import stores. But I'd much rather have the WSM.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:30 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There's nothing wrong with import stores. But I'd much rather have the WSM.
They're both great for what they are. One with a large variety of fresh foods, the other with a vast selection of international groceries.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:55 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Several deleted posts later, I suggest you guys stay on topic before infractions start flying in here.
Yac.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:14 PM
on3

498 posts, read 385,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
They're both great for what they are. One with a large variety of fresh foods, the other with a vast selection of international groceries.
Exactly.

WSM and Jungle Jim's offer different experiences and different products. All I'm saying that all cities could benefit by having something like both a Jungle Jim's and a WSM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland