Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 09:58 AM

68 posts, read 68,919 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am interested in finding out about Shaker Heights, Cleveland 44120. Moving from North Jersey/NYC area and I need a very walkable neighborhood with shopping, public transportation. I do not keep a vehicle. Have been car-free for over 20 yrs. I am a "senior", will be buying a home (hopefully) just want a somewhat urban area, mid size house. What about Cleveland proper, a downtown area, walkable to all amenities. I am not a party person, but do like fine dining. According to map w/ Shaker area, the restaurants seem to be Pizza, chicken places. Is that because of college area? Any info. would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 10:24 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neleh View Post
Hello, I am interested in finding out about Shaker Heights, Cleveland 44120. Moving from North Jersey/NYC area and I need a very walkable neighborhood with shopping, public transportation. I do not keep a vehicle. Have been car-free for over 20 yrs. I am a "senior", will be buying a home (hopefully) just want a somewhat urban area, mid size house. What about Cleveland proper, a downtown area, walkable to all amenities. I am not a party person, but do like fine dining. According to map w/ Shaker area, the restaurants seem to be Pizza, chicken places. Is that because of college area? Any info. would be appreciated.
Read through the Cleveland relocation thread and this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

If you lived near the Blue Line rail rapid, you would have access to several very good restaurants in Shaker Square, part of Cleveland immediately adjacent to Shaker Hts. There also are some restaurants in the Van Aken district at the end of the blue line. Many more restaurants are in Beachwood.

The Blue Line would provide access to scores of restaurants downtown and to Shaker Town Center. Monthly RTA passes for seniors are $48.

http://katzproperties.com/wp-content...own-Center.pdf

Blue Line | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...portation.html

Find restaurants or other destinations of interest, then go to the RTA home page and use Google transit to check mass transit options between any prospective residence and the restaurant. There are good bus connections between Shaker Square and University Circle.

Note that many restaurants here are not in SH, but are nearby:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ghts_Ohio.html

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2017, 01:52 PM

840 posts, read 760,820 times
Quote:
You might want to look into the taxes first if you are thinking of buying. Shaker and Cleveland Heights are very high and in some cases the houses in Shaker are losing their value because the taxes are so prohibitive.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
in some cases the houses in Shaker are losing their value because the taxes are so prohibitive.
I don't think that real estate property taxes are the cause of any recent change in SH property values as real estate taxes always have been high there, as has funding for schools and other services. E.g., SH has a very robust recreational program, and garbage pick-ups from the back of houses (perhaps not found anywhere else in Greater Cleveland, if in Ohio).

What is true is that the high real estate taxes depress housing prices in SH, often below replacement cost. Of course, getting a house for a lesser value in exchange for real estate taxes isn't a bad deal if residents will use the services and if the residents are able to deduct the real estate taxes on their federal income tax returns.

What may be a concern is that there is some talk of the Trump/Republicans eliminating the deduction of state and local income taxes as part of their tax reform.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I don't think that real estate property taxes are the cause of any recent change in SH property values as real estate taxes always have been high there, as has funding for schools and other services. E.g., SH has a very robust recreational program, and garbage pick-ups from the back of houses (perhaps not found anywhere else in Greater Cleveland, if in Ohio).

What is true is that the high real estate taxes depress housing prices in SH, often below replacement cost. Of course, getting a house for a lesser value in exchange for real estate taxes isn't a bad deal if residents will use the services and if the residents are able to deduct the real estate taxes on their federal income tax returns.

What may be a concern is that there is some talk of the Trump/Republicans eliminating the deduction of state and local income taxes as part of their tax reform.
Houses losing value or their prices being depressed by high taxes is the same to me. I don't know much about it, just that there is a lot being written about it by my neighbors on my NextDoor site which includes Shaker and Cleveland Heights. Many are talking about the prohibitive taxes and that some people are choosing not to buy in the area. They worry about values going down as taxes remain high. So just wanted OP to be aware... Apparently Lakewood is faring much better in comparison.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:45 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times
Quote:
Shaker Hts gives you access to both green and blue lines of the rapid (light rail). This gives you easy access to downtown, University Circle, and the airport. If you need to commute regularly to the University Circle area, it may make sense to take the green or blue to Shaker Square and then the bus (48A) from there. Shaker is a very walkable neighborhood with plenty of shopping opportunities. Since you do not want the burden of a car (kudos to you) then make sure you are within walking distance of a rapid stop (blue or green.) There are plenty of fine dining establishments in the Heights area: Saffron Patch, Lucy's (at end of Blue line), Edwins, Balaton, Zanzibar, Fire, Sasa, Yours Truly, etc at Shaker Square. (Just to name a few.) You also have decent access to downtown, Playhouse Square, E. 4th, Ohio City, Westside Market. So you have plenty of options as along as you are willing to take the train.

As for walkable neighborhoods, you might also consider Ohio City. It has good access to public transportation (red line), plenty of fine dining options, and the Westside Market. This area continues to gentrify with more people moving in and more restaurants and businesses setting up shop.

You could also consider downtown and University Circle as good options with amenities you want. Both areas have good access to public transportation (red line, healthline BRT, CSU BRT.)

Good luck

Old 04-12-2017, 05:53 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,767 times
Dude, move downtown! You can walk to everything you need. Theatre, sports, parks (maybe need RTA), lake, food, etc.

Use RTA to museums when you want.

Retirement? That's where I'd go. I'd probably rent, however, if retired. Some nice places that I would not have to pay for upkeep.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:10 PM

The Blue Line operates later than the Green Line. Check both schedules.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:40 AM

120 posts, read 107,264 times
Downtown, Ohio City or the Lakewood area around Clifton Ave.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-rob2727 View Post
Downtown, Ohio City or the Lakewood area around Clifton Ave.
I agree....I live in CH and find it much easier to get around without a car on the west side. Buses run more frequently. Of the 3 areas mentioned I prefer Lakewood to live. Ohio City has lots going on but it's a little too urban for me...have run into some crazies over there. Downtown is nice but no real grocery stores or department stores. Lakewood has small town feel...lots of shops and restaurants on Detroit Ave, grocery stores, post office...near to Rocky River a cute area with little shops and a Whole Foods if you like that store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland