Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:54 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,092,222 times

Advertisements

I'm an early 20's something guy looking into doing a summer internship up in the Cleveland area for a large ad agency. I was wondering what are the prospects for summer rentals (short-term or sublease) in either Shaker Square area or Cleveland Heights? My budget is probably going to be roughly $700 give or take. I'll also need to consider utilities.

So far, I've looked at properties on-line (and will do so only on-line until I hear an affirmative on receiving the internship). The two property management companies I've looked at had most of their places around Shaker Square with a few in Cleveland Heights. They were Montlack and KRI. Is there any place I could look that would have further property management companies listed? Or realtors who specialize in short-term leasing?

I've never been to Cleveland, so all I have in terms of perspective is what I have read on this board, and trust me, not all of its pretty but there are also lots of good opinions. So, having lived in Southwest Ohio (Dayton) for most of my life with a smattering of Central Ohio (Columbus) recently, can anyone give any good comparisons? What is life like in the Square or in Cleveland Heights? Where are the safer areas? I don't need my car broken into, preferably. Where are the cool shopping areas? For that matter, where are the regular shopping areas? Groceries, etc. I'm also open to other suggestions such as Lakewood.

Also, what is University Circle like and are there more subleases there due too Case Western? Or do most Case Western kids live on-campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,283,848 times
A lot CWRU students live in University Circle, Cleveland Heights, and Shaker Square. There are dorms on campus, but I think those are mostly underclassmen.

Do you like to socialize at bars? If so, Cleveland Heights would be your best choice of what you've listed. Where is your internship? If downtown, Lakewood would also be a very legitimate option. If University Circle or eastern suburbs, I'd probably stay away from Lakewood.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 PM

Also, just curious, but where do you go to school? I spent the best four years of my life at UD. Nothing but love for the Gem City.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:14 PM

Yep, currently enrolled at UD. Went to OSU for awhile, but it was just too large of a school. Even a big fish would be lost in that pond. Nice to see other UD people on this forum.

Anyways, the internship (if I get it, *crossed fingers) would be downtown. As far as dorms at Case, unless they have a liberal policy on use, I think you have to be enrolled there to live in a dorm. Even if it were possible, renting would probably be cheaper off-campus. Not a huge bar scene person (not big into drinking my liver out of commission, but I do like to socialize and go out.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:39 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,505,925 times
My first trip to University Heights last weekend visiting JCU. Holy smokes! What a beautiful area. I could move to Fairmount Ave. tomorrow. Nothing like it anywhere in Ohio including my home town, Cincinnati. Lucky bast***s.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
My first trip to University Heights last weekend visiting JCU. Holy smokes! What a beautiful area. I could move to Fairmount Ave. tomorrow. Nothing like it anywhere in Ohio including my home town, Cincinnati. Lucky bast***s.
Heh, glad you like it, I live about a mile away from there in a less nice part of UH.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:07 AM

458 posts, read 1,224,808 times
I would suggest the Coventry Rd. area of Cleveland Heights or Lakewood, both are great neighborhoods and have a decent nightlife and things to do.

Wish I lived in one of those communites right now.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:12 AM

192 posts, read 492,891 times
cleveland hts. has fun areas named after the streets that intersect and where there's an array of shopping, dining, nightlife, etc...

cedar-lee,
coventry village on coventry road between mayfield rd. and euclid hts. boulevard
cedar-fairmount
severence shopping center has a walmart and some other stuff. At mayfield rd. and taylor rd.

shaker square is a great area too, and larchmere boulevard has fun things to do. just a block north of shaker square between north morland boulevard and east 220th street

downtown is close, as is university circle with cultural institutions.

beachwood place mall is #1 in cleveland and legacy village across the street has good shopping options

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM

192 posts, read 492,891 times
shaker hts. has shopping at:

Shaker Town Center: lee road and van aken boulevard / chagrin road.

also the large intersection at van aken boulevard and warrensville center road

and at fairmount circle

Old 02-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far! Right now, the move is up in the air mainly because I am now waiting to hear back from potential employers for my internships. Hopefully one of them will go through. For what its worth, the area sounds really interesting with some cool streets and homes. Google Maps is a god send.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland