Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,093,442 times

Advertisements

The Northeast is definitely ahead of everybody else in rail transportation. But the Southeast looks to become the dominate number 2 in the future. While the Midwest and Southeast are about equal on the map. The Southeast still can expand Mobile to New Orleans, Savannah to Jacksonville to Orlando, Augusta to Columbia to Charleston, Atlanta to Birmingham, Atlanta to Chattanooga to Memphis or Nashville, etc

FRA Accepts Applications for State High-Speed Rail Planning « The Transport Politic

It was just four months ago that the Federal Railroad Administration rewarded huge high-speed rail construction grants to states across the country, but there’s plenty more to do — California, for instance, has assembled just a quarter of the more than $40 billion it needs to complete its San Francisco to Los Angeles corridor. This week, the FRA accepted applications for $50 million in planning grants, and several states put forward proposals to study rail lines that would substantially improve the nation’s intercity train network.

The federal government will announce recipients of the grants later this summer, in addition to the winners of up to $2.5 billion in construction awards. The FRA requires a 20% local match to win funds.

Last edited by nortonguy; 05-30-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 02:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
That's great news.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:24 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
Why the hell does it cost $40 billion to bring high-speed rail between L.A. and the bay area...?

Old 05-30-2010, 02:29 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Why the hell does it cost $40 billion to bring high-speed rail between L.A. and the bay area...?
This. I can't even fathom why so many projects cost so many billions of dollars to do. Even repathing a street can be relatively astronomical. For what?

The Northeast dominates in the rail department but Acela very isn't effective yet imo, there's no way I'm sitting for 7 hours on a train from Boston to D.C. when a flight is like 1 hour. They need to at least double the speed (I think they're supposed to soon).

Old 05-30-2010, 02:43 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
This. I can't even fathom why so many projects cost so many billions of dollars to do. Even repathing a street can be relatively astronomical. For what?

The Northeast dominates in the rail department but Acela very isn't effective yet imo, there's no way I'm sitting for 7 hours on a train from Boston to D.C. when a flight is like 1 hour. They need to at least double the speed (I think they're supposed to soon).
The Northeast Regional line is about half the price of the Acela and is only an extra 45 minutes or so. Not worth the extra money at all yet. It is all business class on the Acela, but still not worth it if you ask me.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:03 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Because they want to build a near state-of-the-art system from scratch.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:19 PM

593 posts, read 1,761,470 times
CA's high speed rail is actually furthest along in terms of planning and studies, and its the only to have passed a measure by voters to help pay for funding.

BUT because its so expensive compared to some of the other projects (due to topography) , its questionable if itll be done before the others...

Supposedly, by 2020 though...

Old 05-30-2010, 06:26 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It seems like $40 billion should be able to buy faster-than-light-speed rail.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:34 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder why it has to be state-of-the-art though. There's an "off the shelf" HSR line in the works for Las Vegas to Victorville, CA (Idk it seems like a random town to me) and it'll cost only 4 billion If I remember correctly. I know the California HSR is longer but overall I think it costs way more per mile.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:48 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,577 times
IMO California will still be the first to have it completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City