Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Orlando 75 39.27%
Tampa 116 60.73%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:40 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,944,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
And I hate when people use Sea World as our aquarium . NO We need our own one.
Yeah its such a tragedy to have a marine park that dwarfs any aquarium in terms of just about everything. Entertainment, conservation, education, concerts, whales not just fish, fireworks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Yeah but its still further along than Tampa. I doubt either one will be up until closer to 2020 the earliest.
That right, we'll have SunRail up and running in 2013, hope Tampa has a diagram of theirs ready by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Orlando and Miami are two cities that definitely elicit a strong reaction from those that really love them or those that REALLY hate them.
Hating Orlando & Miami is like hating fun. I feel sorry for people who are that negative.

Quote:
Airport
Orlando's. Tampa's is extremely nice though. Tampa has more than one International in their Metro too.
What...??? So I guess Orlando-Sanford International which in 2009 served 1.7 million passenger compared to St. Pete Clearwater's 776,535 doesn't count. Orlando smacks Tampa around in the airport category, lets not compare MCO to TPA. Add Sarasota's in there and it's still not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 02:06 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Yeah its such a tragedy to have a marine park that dwarfs any aquarium in terms of just about everything. Entertainment, conservation, education, concerts, whales not just fish, fireworks.

That right, we'll have SunRail up and running in 2013, hope Tampa has a diagram of theirs ready by then.

Hating Orlando & Miami is like hating fun. I feel sorry for people who are that negative.

What...??? So I guess Orlando-Sanford International which in 2009 served 1.7 million passenger compared to St. Pete Clearwater's 776,535 doesn't count. Orlando smacks Tampa around in the airport category, lets not compare MCO to TPA. Add Sarasota's in there and it's still not even close.

Its NOT a REAL AQUARIUM . and $70 is a Tragic in any language.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:06 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Cost though is just impractical for people who just want to go to an aquarium. Because of all that additional fluff to bring in tourists like roller coasters and playgrounds the cost is $78.95.

Tampa Aquarium is $20, $35.95 if you want the Ecotour as well. Thats a pretty big difference. Not saying Seaworld is bad but wish we also had a more traditional aquarium. Its kinda like trying to cover up the depressing place known as the Sanford Zoo because we also have Animal Kingdom. One doesn't really make up for the other.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Cost though is just impractical for people who just want to go to an aquarium. Because of all that additional fluff to bring in tourists like roller coasters and playgrounds the cost is $78.95.

Tampa Aquarium is $20, $35.95 if you want the Ecotour as well. Thats a pretty big difference. Not saying Seaworld is bad but wish we also had a more traditional aquarium. Its kinda like trying to cover up the depressing place known as the Sanford Zoo because we also have Animal Kingdom. One doesn't really make up for the other.
Exactly. And Sanford Zoo technically is not in Orlando so we really dont have a zoo unless you consider Gatorland Zoo a Zoo

Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Exactly. And Sanford Zoo technically is not in Orlando so we really dont have a zoo unless you consider Gatorland Zoo a Zoo
Well thats just nitpicking we're talking about Tampa Bay vs Orlando Metro. Sanford is one of the primary cities of the Orlando metro: Kissimmee, Orlando, Sanford

Old 06-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Well thats just nitpicking we're talking about Tampa Bay vs Orlando Metro. Sanford is one of the primary cities of the Orlando metro: Kissimmee, Orlando, Sanford
Metro? Even then Tampa has a zoo and aquarium in CITY LIMITS.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Metro? Even then Tampa has a zoo and aquarium in CITY LIMITS.
Is someone denying that? I think were on the same side just not sure why you made it out like Sanford Zoo is not the Orlando Zoo. It is. The technical name is even Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Is someone denying that? I think were on the same side just not sure why you made it out like Sanford Zoo is not the Orlando Zoo. It is. The technical name is even Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens.

Denying what? I was pointing out the CiTy LimIts thing.

Orlando, FL to Central Florida Zoo and Botanical Gardens - Google Maps

Look at That Distance from Downtown Orlando to Central Florida Zoo

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wl

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
Distance From Downtown Tampa Too Lowry Park Zoo

Just saying it does not feel as though Orlando has a zoo of it;'s own.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 PM

Orlando grew North first along I-4 (which happens to be the premise of this thread as well) and because of Orange County's shape and natural elements Orlando is really downtown Orlando and then north into Seminole county as the oldest and most established part.

Disney World is in Orlando and just as far from Downtown. Just in the other less developed direction.
Orlando, FL to Disney World, Orlando, FL - Google Maps

Meanwhile if we were to discuss distance sure Downtown Orlando is 20 miles to the zoo whether its the Disney Zoo (Animal Kingdom) or the Central Florida Zoo (Sanford)... but then we'd have to also say one of Tampa's biggest draw is:
Tampa, FL to Clearwater, FL - Google Maps

Same distance for Tampa to get to the beach as it is for us to get to a zoo. But everyone includes the beach as being a part of Tampa so I think its safe to include Disney world and Sanford as part of Orlando.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:34 PM

Orlando still does not have a ZOO Not Animal Kingdom) in city limits. I understand what you are saying though.

And Sure Tampa may be 20 miles away from the coast but realize, they still can get their quicker than we can from any of the city limits in Orlando. Now Orange COUNTY versus Hillsborough COUNTY is a different story. Technically we would be closer to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City