Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:08 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

THe only large gap is between Dallas and Waco (99 miles) and Dallas and Houston (245 miles) which will never get filled anyway. So in essence, if you're asking which will be filled first, it's easily the Piedmont. I'll take the Triangle though. If they get HSR, the gaps really won't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
THe only large gap is between Dallas and Waco (99 miles) and Dallas and Houston (245 miles) which will never get filled anyway. So in essence, if you're asking which will be filled first, it's easily the Piedmont. I'll take the Triangle though. If they get HSR, the gaps really won't matter.
Waco to Dallas is really 90 miles. Houston is really the only city that is seperate from the others. While it's closer to San Antonio and Austin than Dallas is; it's location is more eastern and away from the 35 corridor.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:02 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,495 times
There are large gaps between San Antonio and Houston. Downtown to downtown is about 190 miles but once you pass Seguin, there may be about 120 miles of gaps because development picks up again around Sealy on toward Katy and into Houston.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:10 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Piedmont Atlantic would "fill" up faster than the Texas Triangle would due to distance and proximity of each city. However, I will say that I don't see Birmingham-Atlanta corridor along I-20 filling up anytime soon. The terrain, smaller towns, etc., as well as the growth patterns in each respective metro area will keep them from "filling" up.

I can see the Atlanta/Upstate SC/Charlotte/Triad/Triangle corridor along I-85 filling up a lot faster. I have driven these two routes (I-85 and I-20) a lot, and I can see the differences between the two and how they have grown. There is still a gap between Metro Atlanta and Clemson/Anderson/Greenville/Spartanburg though, sort of like the gap between say, Boston/Worcester and Hartford along I-84, only with a much smaller population and a longer distance. The growth along I-85 has been nothing short of amazing. I swear I-85 has been under construction and reconstruction since I was in middle school, LOL. That's a reflection of the phenominal growth between the two.

I serioulsly doubt that the gap between Dallas and Houston would fill up anytime soon. The I-35 corridor on the other hand, I could see it being similar to the I-85 Corridor in terms of development, distance between cities, etc. As for High-Speed Rail between the Texas Triangle cities, I think the two major airlines headquartered in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area would fight tooth and nail to keep that from occurring. I'm guessing the airline hq'd in Houston has other things to worry about right now, like buying snowshoes and jackets.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
TEXAS!!! Woot! Woot!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:37 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I serioulsly doubt that the gap between Dallas and Houston would fill up anytime soon. The I-35 corridor on the other hand, I could see it being similar to the I-85 Corridor in terms of development, distance between cities, etc. As for High-Speed Rail between the Texas Triangle cities, I think the two major airlines headquartered in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area would fight tooth and nail to keep that from occurring. I'm guessing the airline hq'd in Houston has other things to worry about right now, like buying snowshoes and jackets.
I've read that Southwest stopped the initial HSR line 20-30 years ago but now they are on board with it.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:04 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Piedmont, EASILY. only because there's more proximity between those cities

yes, the texas triangle cities are more major and populous, but they're far too spaced out. not to mention the triangle is filled in by nothing but small towns and open land

to me, a megalopolis should be a chain of a handful of cities within relatively short distance from each other
The Piedmont has more chance of becoming a megalopolis because the cities are daisy chained closer together. This is already happening among Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro and Winston Salem. Each year it gets harder and harder to find yourself in no-man's land as development spills to the edges along I-40/I-85. It's sort of following the path of Florida along I-95. a bigger gap exists between Greensboro and Charlotte but I can see that changing over time as well. From there southward, I don't have enough experience to comment.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times
[quote=OmShahi;14255639]No offense but this thread is a Texas Takeover. Just the way I like the threads to be! [quote]

Taking over the thread isn't going to make it happen. I'd rather read logical explainations.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I was thinking the same thing, and they really are. From Charlotte to ATL is 4hrs, ATL to Birmingham isn't very far, from Charlotte to Birmingham is like 5hrs(maybe more) from Charlotte to Petersburg VA is a long time also. And the areas in-between these cities are just as rural as the areas between the TX Triangle cities.
Actually Birmingham to Atlanta is 1.5 hours. Atlanta to Charlotte is a little less than 3 hours. Charlotte to Winston-Salem is 1 hour, and another 20 minutes to Greensboro...and Greensboro to Raleigh is 1.5 hours. So driving the entire length of the Piedmont Crescent, from Raleigh to Birmingham, is a little over 7 hours.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 05-20-2010 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 12:53 PM

624 posts, read 905,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
Triangle!!! DESPITE the distance b/t all the cities, they complement each other very well I think. Hopefully, sooner rather than later, high speed rail will be established b/t the Triangle cities and distance won't be a concern. In addition, there are two cities of note in the middle of the Triangle. Waco and Bryan/College Station. They're relatively small but in the future I can see them being important hubs for travel across the Triangle.
There is also Killeen/Temple/Belton area between Austin and Waco.

Last edited by BillyH; 05-20-2010 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City