Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,819,924 times

Advertisements

Just found this map and thought it was interesting. It examines the prosperity of rural counties instead of big cities. And it makes me wonder why people choose to live in crime-ridden cities such as Detroit when all around Detroit there are very prosperous rural counties
Actually the entire Midwest looks pretty good, why do people move away from there and make fun of it? Sure, most people won't become farmers, but rural counties also have towns and little cities, which seem to be doing fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 08:23 AM

94,144 posts, read 124,982,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Just found this map and thought it was interesting. It examines the prosperity of rural counties instead of big cities. And it makes me wonder why people choose to live in crime-ridden cities such as Detroit when all around Detroit there are very prosperous rural counties
Actually the entire Midwest looks pretty good, why do people move away from there and make fun of it? Sure, most people won't become farmers, but rural counties also have towns and little cities, which seem to be doing fine.
I think it is a matter of opportunity and to experience something new. I think people feel that the smaller size of a community limits their opportunities in terms of employment, activities and interaction with different types of people.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,617,666 times
Although I wouldn't want to live in a big city, and have always lived in small towns, I don't precisely like living in a small Midwestern town. I would prefer to live in what's apparently called a "micropolitan area." (A town of 10,000-50,000) Although possibly "micropolitan areas" would count as "rural" to some here.

Anyway bear in mind that to me "small town" is under 10,000 and to be honest I'd say it's really more like under 5,000. So the disadvantages of a small Midwestern town to me are

If you are "different" you can be very isolated.
There is little or no access to movie theaters, fine restaurants, or quality museums.
The decent hospitals are sometimes many miles away.
The social life revolves around sports and the bar or liquor store. (Midwesterner tend to drink a lot)
Country music tends to be very popular.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 AM

Hm, yes, maybe ethnic minorities or gays would have a hard time there. But as long as hardly anyone makes that bold step, those communities will remain 'closed'.

Especially as working from home increases, those micropolitan areas you mentioned might become more interesting, provided there is broadband Internet access
I guess a town or city of 20k souls in the middle of nowhere might be quite a diverse magnet offering all major infrastructures.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 AM

220 posts, read 705,157 times
Rural areas a boring as hell.
I couldn't picture myself living in a town here theres only one hospital, one high school, and pretty mucn one of everything, kinda like Mayberry. Theres no excitement in that, maybe for some thats looking into retirement. Little Rock, AK is probably the smallest I'll ever go.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:26 AM

Gee, that MSA has almost 700k, and that's your smallest option

Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,048,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Gee, that MSA has almost 700k, and that's your smallest option

See to me growing up on the east coast Philly always seemed small - by comparison to our neighbor NYC so I guess its all perspective...

Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
See to me growing up on the east coast Philly always seemed small - by comparison to our neighbor NYC so I guess its all perspective...
I know. I used to live in a a couple of big cities, too. First in a metropolitan area of about 2m for two decades, then in one of about 1m, then 70k, now 10k Sometimes I also feel like I am missing out on something here, but then again, when I think what exactly I am missing here, I can't really put my finger on it. I haven't left this place in half a year, without the Internet I might not be so content and patient, though. I watch my Brazilian soaps, talk to relatives and friends around the world, so life is ok here for me, and very safe, healthy and cheap.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,971,858 times
The year before I graduated from the University, most of the graduates wanted to work in the big city, but I remember one who couldn't get a job there. He ended up working in a small town in an isolated area. But he probably made more money than any of the other graduates because what young single wants to be in the middle of nowhere?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:33 AM

94,144 posts, read 124,982,679 times
I think it depends on the small town/city too. I think college towns wouldn't be as bad in many aspects due to options that the college offers in terms of sports, the arts, diversity/culture, generally good schools and even some nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City