Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 08:02 AM

306 posts, read 475,733 times

Advertisements

Men’s Health Names America’s “Drunkest” Cities | goGLOSS :: Travel. Leisure. Fun.

1. Fresno, Calif.
2. Reno, Nev.
3. Billings, Mont.
4. Riverside, Calif.
5. Austin, Tex.
6. St. Louis, Mo.
7. San Antonio, Tex.
8. Lubbock, Tex.
9. Tucson, Ariz.
10. Bakersfield, Calif.

Thoughts? Opinions? Is this generally accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
haha, talk about a flawed survery. The biggest subject had to do with drunk driving, DUI's, and "booze fueled car crashes".

There's a huge difference in cultures as far as "bars - driving - alcohol". Growing up in a college town and then living in Chicago, I've been surrounded by hard core drinkers my whole life, but when I'm traveling other places and see huge bars surrounded by PARKING LOTS, I always have to do a double take and laugh.

It's such just a bizzare thing when you think about it. I guess I'm just not use to ever thinking in that mindframe. It's like the biggest tabboo in the country, yet no one points out the irony. People say "oh, well you just get a DD". Right, cause 60% of the people might do that, but the other 40% who just pretend it's not happening, "only have to go a few blocks" or "accidentally have too much" are more than enough to freak me out.

I certainly don't think the drunkest cities are the ones with the most alcohol related driving issues, I would say those are the stupidest drunk cities.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Well I know Milwaukee was number 1 a couple of years ago and I doubt we all switched to Pabst N/A overnight.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 AM

370 posts, read 1,009,957 times
Yeeesh based on their criteria that's not a list you want to be on... but I guess there's a difference between "Drunk" cities and "Party" cities.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:35 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
How about measuring alcohol consumption per capita as a way to gauge which city drinks the most?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Well I know Milwaukee was number 1 a couple of years ago and I doubt we all switched to Pabst N/A overnight.
This is a completely different list, the one you're thinking of was from Forbes. This list is from Men's Health and uses a completely different methodology, it seems to be framing the whole "Drunkest Cities" title in a very negative context. This list is only looking at alcohol related deaths and drunk driving incidents, the Forbes list looked at number of bars per capita in determining their list.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:07 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
This is a completely different list, the one you're thinking of was from Forbes. This list is from Men's Health and uses a completely different methodology, it seems to be framing the whole "Drunkest Cities" title in a very negative context. This list is only looking at alcohol related deaths and drunk driving incidents, the Forbes list looked at number of bars per capita in determining their list.
Ahhhh I see!

Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,537 times
Lol! I love this list and I love that Lubbock is number 8. I have met a few hard core alcoholics from Lubbock. What's funny is that Lubbock was a dry county (or city?) until this past May. haha! They finally lifted the alcohol ban because it obviously wasn't effecting anything besides pushing a lot of business (in liquor stores) just outside of the city.

Anyway, I do agree with what people are saying about the numbers being distorted toward car based cities.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:28 AM

270 posts, read 854,785 times
Don't really like the way it is measured, but it seems accurate that AB's hometown would crack the top ten...

Old 02-05-2010, 04:25 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Now I know why Lubbock and Bakersfield did so poor in my attempts to do City-vs-City. Bunch of drunks!

More seriously I don't know how valid it is either, but the criteria sound okay to me. It's not just DUIs, but binge-drinking and alcohol-related liver damage. I think that gives some separation from social drinking to hardcore and even though I'm a teetotaler I think that's a meaningful distinction.

Then again Boston comes out the best on their full list and I'm not sure that fits what I've heard/known.

http://www.menshealth.com/drunkestcities2010/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City