Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:32 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,401,851 times

Advertisements

That's a long list for me. New York, Houston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, Seattle, Minneapolis/Saint Paul (together they are quite a sight to behold!) San Francisco, Dallas, and Los Angeles all have beautiful downtown areas. I appreciate each large city's downtown area for what it has to offer. One unique downtown though for sure is St. Louis..you won't find another city with a giant Arch like us downtown anywhere else in the world! that is quite a sight to see crossing the Mississippi. However other than that our downtown is basically slowly rebuilding itself and still has a long way to go so it's not one of the more beautiful ones I've seen, but not half bad either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 06:38 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,594,298 times
I really like downtown Pittsburgh. Very substantial, it looks like a downtown for a city of 700k, not 350k (that's because the city actually had that many people a few decades ago!). Not many parking lots built over bulldozed archtiecture (like my city, Mpls/St Paul have). Lots of shops still in business, lots of pedestrian activity, nice parks here and there. And to go up on Mt Washington and look down on it, it's really a pretty sight.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:53 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
I don't know about walkability, but the most beautiful downtown cityscapes in my experience are Las Vegas, Houston, Miami, and Chicago. Washington, D.C. is good too.

I don't like Manhattan that much. Baltimore shows a lot of promise but sometimes there are still very ghetto, boarded up rusting houses here and there between the wonderful new high rises. Philadelphia is a depressing dump outside the Liberty Bell.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,401,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I don't know about walkability, but the most beautiful downtown cityscapes in my experience are Las Vegas, Houston, Miami, and Chicago. Washington, D.C. is good too.

I don't like Manhattan that much. Baltimore shows a lot of promise but sometimes there are still very ghetto, boarded up rusting houses here and there between the wonderful new high rises. Philadelphia is a depressing dump outside the Liberty Bell.
The only thing I don't like about Las Vegas is that it is very unoriginal I think. Literally every building I've seen is copied from another city...it's full of culture no question about it but in appearance it seems kind of "Artificial" and more like just like an amusement park than a real city...if you get my drift I guess.. I prefer skylines that are very distinguishable and original rather than "Borrowed"

Old 05-25-2007, 08:33 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
A can't think of a more gorgeous downtown than Charleston, S.C.

Santa Fe and Madison, Wisconsin, are runners-up.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
The only thing I don't like about Las Vegas is that it is very unoriginal I think. Literally every building I've seen is copied from another city

That's not true. Look closer next time, not every (but most every) building in the city is a copy

Old 05-25-2007, 02:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,410,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
That's not true. Look closer next time, not every (but most every) building in the city is a copy
Most are copies, but there are a few originals (ie Madalay Bay)... IMO, Vegas is the ugliest city in the nation, maybe even world. Im sorry, but a medievel castle next to a Egyptian pyramid next to a pirate ship next to a giant lion next to a 1/4 scale Eiffel Tower next to a giant circus tent next to a Venetian facade is just horrible on the eyes, no ifs, ands or buts.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Dallas - it was already great but the new multi-billion dollar Victory Project, completion of the Arts District and Calatrava Bridges over the Trinity River and the 22 cranes building new high rise condos and offices will make it even better.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:13 PM

832 posts, read 3,854,655 times
Sonoma CA, Austin, TX.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:06 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Most are copies, but there are a few originals (ie Madalay Bay)... IMO, Vegas is the ugliest city in the nation, maybe even world. Im sorry, but a medievel castle next to a Egyptian pyramid next to a pirate ship next to a giant lion next to a 1/4 scale Eiffel Tower next to a giant circus tent next to a Venetian facade is just horrible on the eyes, no ifs, ands or buts.
I couldn't agree more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City