Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 01:42 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Sandy barely hit Philadelphia. The Nor'easter dropped snow but it melted an hour after the storm. Again, you can't apply the entire Northeast to Philadelphia. It's gone below 40 degrees a handful of times.
I remember seeing the Philly skyline with high winds and gloomy skies a couple of times on the news during Hurricane Sandy, so I just assumed there was some extent of damage there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I remember seeing Philly on the news a couple of times on the news during Hurricane Sandy, so I just assumed there was some extent of damage there.
In the Northern suburbs there was a little damage. In the NJ suburbs there was some damage... but NYC got slammed. The hurricane eye went directly over Philadelphia, but the strongest portion of a Hurricane is the right side of the storm, which hit NYC directly.

Still, why are you applying a rare occurrence like a hurricane or a blizzard to the entire year of Philadelphia's weather. Philadelphia has three months of cold. It gets cold in December and gets warm in the beginning of March. While on the other hand, Denver has three months of warm. Philadelphia barely gets snow compared to Denver. A blizzard and a hurricane are RARE occurrences. You act like they happen everyday. They don't even happen once a year. It is a rare occurrence, especially a hurricane two years in a row.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
In the Northern suburbs there was a little damage. In the NJ suburbs there was some damage... but NYC got slammed. The hurricane eye went directly over Philadelphia, but the strongest portion of a Hurricane is the right side of the storm, which hit NYC directly.

Still, why are you applying a rare occurrence like a hurricane or a blizzard to the entire year of Philadelphia's weather. Philadelphia has three months of cold. It gets cold in December and gets warm in the beginning of March. While on the other hand, Denver has three months of warm. Philadelphia barely gets snow compared to Denver. A blizzard and a hurricane are RARE occurrences. You act like they happen everyday. They don't even happen once a year. It is a rare occurrence, especially a hurricane two years in a row.
Why are you appying a few days of low tempetures to Denver as a whole? And Denver does not have only 3 months of warm. That's ridiculous. It can snow as late as May, but Spring sarts in late March (with warm tempetures). The snow is usually melted the next day if it snows later then March. Denver climate is known for having MILD winters compared to other places that snow in the winter.

I know that Hurricanes aren't a thing that occur often in the Philadelphia. Never said they did.

Last edited by Mezter; 01-13-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
I would take Denver weather over Philly anyday, or any east coast city for that matter. Denver even in the winter is usually milder and more tolerable.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:15 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,059 times
Quote:
Sandy barely hit Philadelphia. The Nor'easter dropped snow but it melted an hour after the storm. Again, you can't apply the entire Northeast to Philadelphia. It's gone below 40 degrees a handful of times.
Hey, we had that one week where it was was bitter cold. Overnight lows dipped all the way down to 29 according to the thermometer on my patio. Thank God that's over. I'll take gray and 55, like we had today, over sunny an 7.

Mezter, the reason why you hear about all these "huge natural disasters" in the Northeast boils down to two things. High profiles and poor journalism. The Northeast is a very high profile area and anything that can be made into a national story is. The news makes its money from advertisers. They don't sell a product or a service, they count on making the most dramatic, eye catching headlines possible to draw you in. The more you watch, the more they can sell their advertising slots for.

In my lifetime, significant winters in the Northeast are: Blizzard of '93, Nor'Easter of '96, Blizzard of '03 and 3 blizzards in late 09/early 2010. So... two bad winters per decade vs 9 months of potential snow on the ground.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Hey, we had that one week where it was was bitter cold. Overnight lows dipped all the way down to 29 according to the thermometer on my patio. Thank God that's over. I'll take gray and 55, like we had today, over sunny an 7.

Mezter, the reason why you hear about all these "huge natural disasters" in the Northeast boils down to two things. High profiles and poor journalism. The Northeast is a very high profile area and anything that can be made into a national story is. The news makes its money from advertisers. They don't sell a product or a service, they count on making the most dramatic, eye catching headlines possible to draw you in. The more you watch, the more they can sell their advertising slots for.

In my lifetime, significant winters in the Northeast are: Blizzard of '93, Nor'Easter of '96, Blizzard of '03 and 3 blizzards in late 09/early 2010. So... two bad winters per decade vs 9 months of potential snow on the ground.
Other then those bad storms, I still believe Denver has a superior climate. It isn't like it is constantly cold and snowy, even if there are 9 months of potential snow on the ground. ike I said earlier, Denver is known for having Mild winters compared to other parts of the country with snow.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 PM

64 posts, read 125,642 times
Everyone is talking about the winter. How about the summer? Philadelphia is absolutely miserable from Memorial Day until mid-September imo. There's an actual stench in the city from the heat that cannot be described during the dog days.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Other then those bad storms, I still believe Denver has a superior climate. It isn't like it is constantly cold and snowy, even if there are 9 months of potential snow on the ground. ike I said earlier, Denver is known for having Mild winters compared to other parts of the country with snow.
And I'm sure that is true when considering Denver vs. Chicago, Minneapolis, Cleveland, and Buffalo. But compared to Philadelphia....not so much. And that's the comparison in question in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUowl06 View Post
Everyone is talking about the winter. How about the summer? Philadelphia is absolutely miserable from Memorial Day until mid-September imo. There's an actual stench in the city from the heat that cannot be described during the dog days.
The reason the emphasis has been on comparing winters in the two cities is because the first post read as follows....

Quote:
"Assuming i hate cold and windy weather, how would you say the East coast winter compares with Colorado? How about the spring and fall? I do not like getting cold and rainy weather in the spring when it is supposed to be nice out! "

Winter is colder, snowier, and lasts for more of the year in Denver than Philadelphia. It may be sunnier but that isn't what the OP asked about. They asked which city has more cold and snow. They also said they didn't like having winter weather lingering into spring.....something Denver clearly has more of than Philadelphia.

I don't live in either of these cities/metros so I don't really have a personal stake in this and I'm sure they are both wonderful places to live. However when being objective and considering the specific question and criteria mentioned by the OP; it seems pretty obvious that Philadelphia would be more what they are looking for.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,880,321 times
Call it climate change but I'm guessing it may never snow again in Denver in September or past maybe May 10th. Last couple years there have been big storms coming through in May and they were just rain, not even close to snow. Septembers have been downright hot for the first week or two and at the end of the month its still close to 80 every day. If it does snow in those months its likely to be a once every 10 years thing, not exactly something you could call part of the local climate. Snow season in Denver is generally mid-October to early April. Anything outside that is just an outlier, a warm wet storm that probably is only sticking on the grass for a few hours.

Typical winter day in Denver is sunny with highs in the 40s and 50s. Storms usually bring cold for 2-4 days and then its back to the sun. Nights are definitely cold, but that is what altitude does. Since most people are not out at 3-5am the low temps don't really matter that much.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:40 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Why not just look at the data for both cities.. It's posted right here on city data...

Temperatures:

Philadelphia:

Denver:

Snowfall:

Philadelphia:

Denver:

FWIW: Current temps Philly is 45 while Denver is -2.

Average temperature seems to be higher in Philadelphia throughout the year. High temps in winter are a little misleading of a measure to go by as high temps that time of the year usually only last for a few hours in the very middle of the day.

Personally the idea of having snow come at it's greatest amounts in March and April sounds like pure misery especially when most of the rest of the country is enjoying the start to spring. Denver's summer weather would probably be nicer than Philly's (though a much shorter summer in Denver).

Personally I like 4 distinct seasons that come with regularity so the east coast climate is preferable to me. Also the "cloudiness" of the east coast is way over stated here. The great lakes, yes, very cloudy and almost constant overcast for most of winter....but in Philadelphia and most of the other areas closer to the coast, you still get a decent amount of sunshine. 4 months of overcast/gloom as stated by a previous poster is grossly inaccurate description of winter on the east coast
This post makes the mopst sense and preference is to the individual.

Both seem to have cold and hot weather. Denver with a little more fluctuation based on this

Philly seems hotter in the summer, not to me a good a thing but it would seem pretty similar or a pretty easy adjustment to either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City