Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times

Advertisements

So when are these New Yorkers finally going to start calling themselves the "Quad State Area" now that Northeastern Pennsylvania is officially a bedroom community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 08:11 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
It's amazing to me every time I see that our largest 10 cities are on par with the 38 richest countries on the planet.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:22 PM

10 posts, read 68,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
What is impressive is SF metro is near the same level as DC and Chicago. The reason it's impressive is because DC has the government to boost its GDP and Chicago because considering its size and manufacturing it's up there - but can you imagine SF if it was the nations capital? If SF was the nations capital I'm sure it would overtake LA metro for GDP size and it would probably challenge NYC.
No it wouldn't.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It's amazing to me every time I see that our largest 10 cities are on par with the 38 richest countries on the planet.
Yet decent healthcare is unattainable for many,schools are underfunded,and public transportation is severely lacking in most major cities.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
I find that it interesting how the cities in the Northeast that were the major powerhouses have fallen as they are replaced by cities in the South and the West.Philadephia was number 7 but is now number 9.Philly has gotta do more to compete.Boston is holding steady,but I see Houston for sure and maybe Dallas surpassing Philadelphia within the next 5-10 years easily.I think Atlanta will pass Philly or with the next 10 years.At least at the level that Philly is falling and Atlanta is growing.Miami I think will not change as much,but will continue to grow.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:46 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I find that it interesting how the cities in the Northeast that were the major powerhouses have fallen as they are replaced by cities in the South and the West.Philadephia was number 7 but is now number 9.Philly has gotta do more to compete.Boston is holding steady,but I see Houston for sure and maybe Dallas surpassing Philadelphia within the next 5-10 years easily.I think Atlanta will pass Philly or with the next 10 years.At least at the level that Philly is falling and Atlanta is growing.Miami I think will not change as much,but will continue to grow.
Lets not get carried away here.

Falling? How is metro Philly falling? It has grown in population in every census period taken, it recently(2000) got its next door neighbor Trenton/Mercer County unceremoniously yanked ($30B)from its grips. Of its 9 total metro counties 7 of them are among the top 100 wealthiest counties in the country.

I get into this argument more times than I would like.
Philadelphia metro comparitively speaking is recklessly misrepresented, its 1/2 and in some cases 1/3 the size of some of these comparable bloated never-ending CMSA's. Boston seemingly encaptures most of New England, Washington sprawls from central Va to WVA to the PA border,Dallas and Houstons cmsa spans nearly 150 miles yet Philadelphia doesnt even get represented in the rankings by Trenton which is 15 miles from the city border of Philadelphia.

The Philadelphia msa all things being equal is still arguably the 4th healthiest msa in the country. Dont get too geeked up on this trivial cmsa nonsense.

The urban density of the land area betweenTrenton/Mercer County to Philadelphia is roughly 8,000 people per square mile. Thats city like, an uninterrupted mass of humanity. There is a 40 mile gap of suburbia between Trenton and NYCs urban area. Yet Trenton gets accounted for by NYC, preposterous.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
What is impressive is SF metro is near the same level as DC and Chicago. The reason it's impressive is because DC has the government to boost its GDP and Chicago because considering its size and manufacturing it's up there - but can you imagine SF if it was the nations capital? If SF was the nations capital I'm sure it would overtake LA metro for GDP size and it would probably challenge NYC.
Snap out of it.

You have to love the Bay Area crew.

Last edited by rainrock; 09-25-2009 at 06:02 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 AM

315 posts, read 666,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
There is a 40 mile gap of suburbia between Trenton and NYCs urban area. Yet Trenton gets accounted for by NYC, preposterous.
I would gather that's because NYC receives the commuting population necessary for Trenton to be included into its NYC CMSA/MSA (given their percentage definitions) irregardless of proximity. In comparison, the commuting numbers between Trenton and Philadelphia aren't quite there yet for the two cities to be considered "linked."

It isn't enough for cities to be near one another, they need to contribute to one another a certain percentage of their respective work forces, below which they are not sufficiently interlinked for incorporation.

Last edited by Lancer78; 09-25-2009 at 08:28 AM..

Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
How the hell did D.C. pass Chicago? Did they redefine the CSA?
The DC metro area is much wealthier than the Chicagoland area. The CSA has not changed.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Snap out of it.

You have to love the Bay Area crew.
Great "picture", snapshot of life and people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City