Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 PM

199 posts, read 220,087 times

Advertisements

haha the A's are like the mets of the bay area.. no love.. straight inferiority complex, even though they have more titles than the giants.. ehh

Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
hahac the A's are like the mets of the bay area.. no love.. straight inferiority complex, even though they have more titles than the giants.. ehh
The A's have no superiority complex...at least not one I've ever noticed. Usually its SF Fans that say that, I think out of a complex of their own*coughs*no world series wins*coughs*

Old 08-24-2009, 10:16 PM

199 posts, read 220,087 times
nah its weird, cuz technically the A's fans have more to "brag" about, especially after '89... then again the a's play in an awful stadium, and they have some of the most disloyal ass fans in all of baseball.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:33 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngchampion View Post
nah its weird, cuz technically the A's fans have more to "brag" about, especially after '89... then again the a's play in an awful stadium, and they have some of the most disloyal ass fans in all of baseball.
Its ironic how the team from SF has the great stadium and much more involved fan base but NOT ONE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP since moving to SF what? 40 or so years ago?

Meanwhile, the A's play in the hood in front of a much more indifferen and transient fan base yet they totally have all the Bragging Rights as far as Bay Area Baseball is concerned. 4 World Series Championships.

WOW.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:30 AM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its ironic how the team from SF has the great stadium and much more involved fan base but NOT ONE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP since moving to SF what? 40 or so years ago?

Meanwhile, the A's play in the hood in front of a much more indifferen and transient fan base yet they totally have all the Bragging Rights as far as Bay Area Baseball is concerned. 4 World Series Championships.

WOW.
I am a Giants fan, but love to see the A's do well too..it's just sad to see wolff try to move them away from The Colisuem where so much history has taken place. The giants on the otherhand stepped up big-time with their new stadium as they used to play in a miserable park one the bad-side of town too.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:18 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Doesn't your statement; in itself say something about the high cost of living....earthquakes and fires...oh my...Droughts too.
As a California native I always find it odd that people who live out of the state seem to worry more about earthquakes than actual residents of the state. Anyone seem to notice that too?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:39 AM

246 posts, read 758,775 times
San Francisco's metro area is typically considered to be the "Bay Area", which has 7.5 million. There is no reason to separate San Francisco and San Jose. They are 40 miles apart and the area between is completely built up. They are undoubtedly part of the same metro area (i.e. the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose continuous urban stretch known as the "bay area")

San Francisco has a bigger metro area than Philly.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:23 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
On the downside for Philly its bad areas would make SF's bad areas look like Disneyland.
I'm not trying to nitpick here b/c I know you didn't mean any harm, but I gotta say how annoying I find the consistent trivializing of SF/CA's bad areas by East Coasters. Its great that SF is not associated with crime/danger, and I hope that never changes. But there are some really bad neighborhoods in both the City and the Metro (Oakland and Richmond are 2 of the most dangerous cities in the country, ranked worse than Philly), and when people call them "Disneyland" it comes off as belittling.

The danger here is real and some of our neighborhoods are bad. Maybe not as bad as Philly's, maybe in some cases not even close. But they are a far cry from "Disneyland" too, and I continually hear East Coasters use that term to describe our bad neighborhoods, as though whatever we have here is just a joke. And 90% of the time those who use this term have never even been anywhere near these neighborhoods. So it comes off as very arrogant and obnoxious.

Judging by the rest of your post, I'm sure this was in no way your intent, and I'm not trying to give you a hard time about it. But I have to speak on it b/c I keep reading it from East Coasters on here, whether they mean it that way or not. I don't mind if you say SF doesn't have anything as bad as some Philly neighborhoods, but calling them Disneyland trivializes all the death and horror that has occurred to people I personally know that live in some of these neighborhoods, so I don't care for it.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
San Francisco's metro area is typically considered to be the "Bay Area", which has 7.5 million. There is no reason to separate San Francisco and San Jose. They are 40 miles apart and the area between is completely built up. They are undoubtedly part of the same metro area (i.e. the San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose continuous urban stretch known as the "bay area")

San Francisco has a bigger metro area than Philly.
Thank you! I have no idea why people keep splitting the metro up as though SJ somehow isn't included. And if SJ gets its own metro, then why doesn't Oakland? They're all big cities with populations over 400,000 that have their own identities, but they are all undeniably part of the same metro area.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
That's very subjective; I admit each city has positives and negatives...but neither "BLOWS' away the other...unless you mean in population, skyline or economic output...
So only Philly is allowed to "blow away" SF here? (Apparently you favor its skyline over SF's?) I hope you're joking here, b/c if you're not that is quite the double-standard.

Quote:
So Far...don't count your chickens before they are hatched...plus I and others can read the poll......LOL... Maybe your voting from multiple computers...JUST KIDDING. but you did "open" the door for humor... And Don't forget...we can hold the Liberty Bell for ransom (wink).
I don't believe that poster is at all affiliated with SF, so I think you're jumping the gun here. Maybe you created the poll expecting Philly to win and are so disappointed in the results that you're drawing irrational conclusions.

Quote:
Doesn't your statement; in itself say something about the high cost of living....earthquakes and fires...oh my...Droughts too.
Wow, it really doesn't sit well with you that SF is more desirable to some people, does it? His statement in itself shows that if he could afford it he would pay for the high cost of living since he prefers it here. That's why the cost of living is higher here in the first place, b/c people like it that much. Think about how undesirable Philly would be if it had a higher cost of living, earthquakes, fires and droughts too! It might even become a ghost town.

Quote:
I notice San Francisco is so far winning the poll...so why are you guys slinging "mud" or saying it's no contest between the cities(showing lack of tact); I gave a fair comparison in my opening post?????
Maybe b/c to them it is no comparison, kind of like how your bias toward Philly became apparent as the thread progressed, even though your OP was objective. I don't think there has been a whole lot of mud slung unto Philly (aside from one poster), but if you feel that peoples' opinions equate mud slinging, then I suppose you've thrown a little yourself:

Quote:
Really I agree...Philly is a bit bigger, better skyline and ethnic foods and bigger economy...San Francisco has its own positives which Philadelphia may not possess....but they are both GREAT CITIES. Philadelphia GDP: 312 Billion dollars and San Francisco GDP: 242 Billion dollars.
I don't see how people saying there's no comparison in their opinion is mud slinging if you're going to sit here and state that Philly has better ethnic food (without supporting that claim), a better skyline (which is absolutely subjective), and a bigger economy (that only is the case if SJ and the rest of the South Bay is removed from the equation) - all of which I fully disagree with. So maybe you should practice what you preach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City