Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 05:43 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times

Advertisements

I actually do believe that New York gets a significant amount more snow than Chicago does, however, their temperatures are much more bearable during the winter by a significant amount. Chicago gets very, very cold in mid January, so much that it doesn't snow at all. But I like the cold, so I choose Chicago's winter over New York's. But New York's is warmer.

I also choose Chicago's summer over New York's. It's not as humid (though that's not saying much) and it's not as smelly and sticky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 07:59 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I actually do believe that New York gets a significant amount more snow than Chicago does, however, their temperatures are much more bearable during the winter by a significant amount. Chicago gets very, very cold in mid January, so much that it doesn't snow at all. But I like the cold, so I choose Chicago's winter over New York's. But New York's is warmer.

I also choose Chicago's summer over New York's. It's not as humid (though that's not saying much) and it's not as smelly and sticky.
NYC: 24 inches of snow.
Chicago: 38 inches

Old 08-15-2009, 10:56 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,308 times
Lake Michigan is too cold to swim in most months and August and Sept are indeed the best months for it. But 80 degrees (and that must be REALLY close to shore) is still fairly cold as far as water is concerned. I used to swim in the lake a lot, when I was a kid I was the only one in my family that was brave enough to get into the 60/70 degree water! You don't see a lot of blue lips here in Texas....haha. Those were the days...

From what I understand, NyC has an overall milder climate.

Chicago winters are brutal. Wind, slush, ice, blizzards, metling, only to have it happen all over again. At least in places like MN the snow sticks around and its not as damp.

But, Chicagoans have bragging rights, and that is always cool....toughens the soul.

Summer in the city is often hot and muggy too. I much preferred summer in the suburbs of Chicago, not the urban areas...yuck. Unless you are real close to the lake, it can be miserable. I imagine NYC might be similiar. but I don't know.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Chicago is on the wrong side of the lake to get Lake Effect snow.
yeah, but they still get lake effect snow when the winds change. They just don't get as much as Indana and Michigan.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:03 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Thanks for the info but as a person who spent considerable amount of time in Chicago I can tell you that it is not that much low temperatures but the freezing wind that makes Chicago unbearable in the Winter.
definitely, especially if you are downtown or by the lake between the buildings, 40mph+ is not uncommon. Wacker drive east of sears tower and crossing over the river on the east side (as many do for union station/ogilsvy) is a virtual wind tunnel. Look around in the trash cans and you will see broken umbrellas everywhere, if anybody dare bother on a good windy day.

That being said yes Chicagos winter are colder, and for longer (at least it seems to take longer to "break" into spring), ny summer is hotter, and for longer. I've been in both, and all seasons.

nyc is more or less a warmer climate all the time by a few degrees, not including a snap cold spell or heat wave, but still gets chicago weather patterns a few days later.

frozen wind tunnel #1

frozen wind tunnel #2

Last edited by grapico; 08-15-2009 at 11:19 AM..

Old 08-15-2009, 08:45 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,904 times
Isn't that why its nickname is the Windy City?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Isn't that why its nickname is the Windy City?
Nope! There are several stories of the origin, but generally it is attributed to the ability of Chicago Politicians to pull off a filibuster. In all actuality the average wind speed in Chicago is really no greater than other cities, and less than some (Like Boston and NYC at JFK or La Guardia). http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...d/avgwind.html

Last edited by Bydand; 08-15-2009 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: add link to wind speed chart

Old 08-15-2009, 10:28 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
yeah, but they still get lake effect snow when the winds change. They just don't get as much as Indiana and Michigan.
Yep. Exactly. Chicago only gets lake effect snow when there's a good east or northeast wind.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:56 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
But 80 degrees (and that must be REALLY close to shore) is still fairly cold as far as water is concerned. I used to swim in the lake a lot, when I was a kid I was the only one in my family that was brave enough to get into the 60/70 degree water!
80 degree water is considered cold? Man, outside of trips to the tropics I've been swimming in water way colder than 80 degrees for my entire life...I've swam comfortably in 70 degree rivers and lakes out west. And the few times I've been to Lake Michigan in the summer, the water and weather was perfect for swimming.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 AM

80 is very warm for lake michigan, but still on the cold/cool side for swimmers. there are some beaches that are more protected from the open currents that heat up better in chicago. Generally, it is pretty fricken cold outside of august and september.

personally I like it better than texas gulf beaches. But I definitley would never call lake michigan warm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City