Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose
Virginia Beach VA 17 25.37%
Greenville NC 2 2.99%
Wilmington NC 4 5.97%
Myrtle Beach SC 2 2.99%
Charleston SC 19 28.36%
Savannah GA 16 23.88%
Jacksonville FL 7 10.45%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:17 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times

Advertisements

Charleton SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntice1 View Post
Tampa Bay is the best coastal city in the south....come down and see for yourself.
I agree, DJ must be jealous. That is why he seems to be so compelled to hate on someone's opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 AM

315 posts, read 666,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Good point about Miami but, to me, Jacksonville has a "southern" feel whereas Miami does not.
It is for this very reason that I prefer Miami over any other SE coastal city.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:49 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntice1 View Post
Savannah's great if we didn't have to go thru Ga. to get there.
You don't have to...it's right on the Savannah River, bordering SC.
Shows how much you know about GA.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:38 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Charleston, Wilmington, Savannah, in that order.

Greenville, NC isn't a coastal city, but I wouldn't live there regardless. Besides ECU and a Hospital, there's not whole lot to it.

I wouldn't live in Myrtle Beach, but I would live in the Myrtle Beach area - somewhere like Pawleys, Litchfield, or Murrells Inlet.

I don't know much about Jax. I've only driven through it. Never been to Virginia Beach.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:59 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,139 times
Jacksonville. Savannah is really nice downtown, but to me the rest sort of falls flat. Charleston has a great and unique downtown with great architecture and more amenities overall than Savannah, but Charleston is too far removed from any big cities. Jacksonville is itself a big city with big city amenities, a nice downtown, some really nice suburban neighborhoods and town center style shopping. And there is a LOT more within a couple hours of Jacksonville than within a couple hours of either Savannah or Charleston. Don't know much about Virginia Beach except that it's 3 hrs from DC and is part of a cluster of cities centering on Norfolk. I rank Charleston and Savannah 2nd and 3rd, and I've been to both several times, but I wouldn't want to live in Charleston unless I could afford to live downtown in the historic section or in I'On Community in Mt. Pleasant, which I can't, and Savannah only if I could live somewhere near Forsyth Park. Savannah's and Charleston's other suburban neighborhoods to me can't compete with Jacksonville's. Been to Wilmington once. Downtown was nice. I'd get bored quickly.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Jacksonville. Savannah is really nice downtown, but to me the rest sort of falls flat. Charleston has a great and unique downtown with great architecture and more amenities overall than Savannah, but Charleston is too far removed from any big cities. Jacksonville is itself a big city with big city amenities, a nice downtown, some really nice suburban neighborhoods and town center style shopping. And there is a LOT more within a couple hours of Jacksonville than within a couple hours of either Savannah or Charleston. Don't know much about Virginia Beach except that it's 3 hrs from DC and is part of a cluster of cities centering on Norfolk.
MR, glad to hear somebody giving props to Jax...it is way undersold on this forum, IMO.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,782 times
I'd prefer West Palm or Fort Lauderdale to any of those, but I chose Jax since it's at least in Florida and is still the best pick on that list. Savannah's nice but not quite my idea of a "coastal" town.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I'd prefer West Palm or Fort Lauderdale to any of those, but I chose Jax since it's at least in Florida and is still the best pick on that list. Savannah's nice but not quite my idea of a "coastal" town.
Cosigned.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
MR, glad to hear somebody giving props to Jax...it is way undersold on this forum, IMO.
Jax is one of those big cities that doesn't really have a particular thing that they're known for but is really nice nonetheless. There are some hidden gems around the area, one of which is Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:54 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times
If money is not a problem, either Miami beach or Tampa/St. Petersburgh. St. Augustine is also a good choice. The other cities don't have many job opportunities anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
If you had to relocate to the SE coast which of the following cities would you pick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City