Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most "Green" Major Metropolitan Area
New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island 4 6.56%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana 0 0%
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet 9 14.75%
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington 2 3.28%
Philadelphia-Camdem-Wilmington 1 1.64%
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown 2 3.28%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 1 1.64%
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta 10 16.39%
Washington-Alexandria-Arlington 1 1.64%
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy 4 6.56%
Detroit-Warren-Livonia 0 0%
Phoenix-Scottsdale-Mesa 0 0%
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont 13 21.31%
Riverside-San Bernadino-Ontario 0 0%
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue 14 22.95%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:54 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,066,741 times

Advertisements

I realize the previous thread I had " Most Green Major American City" has alot of faults to it so I decided to create a new one focused on the most populated metropolitan areas. As they are more accurate.

Top 15

1. New York- Northern New Jersey-Long Island
2. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana
3. Chicago-Naperville-Joliet
4. Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington
5. Philadelphia-Camdem-Wilmington
6. Houston-Sugarland-Baytown
7. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach
8. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta
9. Washington-Alexandria-Arlington
10. Boston-Cambrige-Quincy
11. Detroit-Warren-Livonia
12. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale
13. San Franciso-Oakland-Fremont
14. Riverside-San Bernadino-Ontario
15. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue

I got my rankings from this.

United States metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 05:01 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Probably Detroit-Warren-Livonia where their long-standing economic troubles have made them too miserable and many too poor to do much mass consumption.

On a more serious note, probably the Bay Area.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 AM

246 posts, read 759,299 times
I would use CSA's instead of metropolitan areas. CSA's more accurately reflect urban regions...

And in that case I would choose Seattle.

Although, among the mega (top 5 or 6) CSA's I would choose the San Fran Bay Area

Old 06-02-2009, 08:07 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,919,062 times
A good list from the old thread:
America's 50 Greenest Cities | Popular Science

Old 06-02-2009, 08:11 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Portland, Oregon is generally considered to be the most environmentally concious city, however Chicago is by far the most environmentally concious of the big 3. I vote Chicago.

San Francisco is not the most environmentally concious city. San Francisco's public transit is by many considered inadequate. Seattle is definitely a driving city. Boston is a driving city as well. Chicago hands-down on this list.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:22 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,066,741 times
San Francisco doesn't allow bottled water to be trucked into its city limits.

Portland. Oregon I agree is the most environmentally friendly major metropolitan area but Portland is number 25? on the most populated metropolitan areas.In Portland they have street level trains that access just about every part of the city and into its suburbs that you can ride for free. Plus Portland has 100's of miles of pedestrian trails and has designated bicycle lanes on most of its major surface streets+Their are even some streets that are bicycle only(mainly small side streets)

I think 12% of the population of the Portland metropolitan area use bicycles to get around. In some neighborhoods the numbers climb to almost 25%.

We all need to look at Portland and start following them.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Portland, Oregon is generally considered to be the most environmentally concious city, however Chicago is by far the most environmentally concious of the big 3. I vote Chicago.

San Francisco is not the most environmentally concious city. San Francisco's public transit is by many considered inadequate. Seattle is definitely a driving city. Boston is a driving city as well. Chicago hands-down on this list.
Boston is one of America's premier walking cities and not a driving city at all. The Boston-Cambridge area has the most walking commuters per capita in the Nation. If you read any list with the "Best Walking Cities" Boston and Cambridge are always mentioned in the Top 5.

According to (Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address) Boston is the 3rd most walkable city in the nation.

Also per capita Boston has a higher public transportation ridership than Chicago (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_by_ridership)

Last edited by Cart24; 06-02-2009 at 08:53 AM..

Old 06-02-2009, 11:36 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,928,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Boston is one of America's premier walking cities and not a driving city at all. The Boston-Cambridge area has the most walking commuters per capita in the Nation. If you read any list with the "Best Walking Cities" Boston and Cambridge are always mentioned in the Top 5.

According to (Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address) Boston is the 3rd most walkable city in the nation.

Also per capita Boston has a higher public transportation ridership than Chicago (List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
The link you posted is not for public transportation, only for heavy rail. In chicago's case, this would not include CTA Busses, Pace Busses, and the Metra.

Not at all a fair comparison.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 AM

793 posts, read 1,453,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
The link you posted is not for public transportation, only for heavy rail. In chicago's case, this would not include CTA Busses, Pace Busses, and the Metra.

Not at all a fair comparison.

Umm......and Boston does not have a Bus system either? If you read what I said also it was not to imply that Chicago is car dependent and not walkable (I posted a link showing it was in the Top 4 in the nation) It was to show that Boston is a walking city, which the poster above said is was not.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,928,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattncind View Post
Umm......and Boston does not have a Bus system either? If you read what I said also it was not to imply that Chicago is car dependent and not walkable (I posted a link showing it was in the Top 4 in the nation) It was to show that Boston is a walking city, which the poster above said is was not.
Matt,

Here is part of your quote:

Quote:
Also per capita Boston has a higher public transportation ridership than Chicago (List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
The link you posted simply does not justify that statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City