Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Inland Southern California's Santa Ana winds are the most god awful, annoying, external force in the history of the earth.
That's true, but it's a seasonal wind. The Santa Ana winds don't occur from around June to September, in general.

Except for the fire danger, I kind of like the S.A. winds. Creates good visibility unless they are very strong, then they kick up a lot of dust and dirt.
And it's great during the mid-winter when a warm S.A. wind starts blowing and brings the temperature up from the high 50s to 70 degrees... even at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:09 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
New York City exists because of the wind. When Henry Hudson first sailed into what is now New York Harbor, he noted in his journal that it was a calm harbor, sheltered from the open sea, where a sailor could catch a wind in any direction.

If you've ever walked on a New York City street with an open umbrella on a windy day, you know what he meant. Your umbrella will be turned inside out, and when you think you've got it aimed against the wind, the wind will suddenly shift, coming from the other direction and turn it inside out from that side.

I have been picked up by the wind near the Hudson just after getting off the ferry (on a day when they were warning about 60 mph gusts) and knocked to the ground. I am six feet tall, so it's not as if I'm some cutesy little petite helpless thing, either. This was like a river of air that whooshed down between two buildings and knocked me off my feet. I can remember being on the ground and seeing a woman across the street holding onto an awning pole in front of a restaurant for dear life.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:56 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
The windiest street I've seen is Lombard St. in San Francisco. It winds down a steep slope with sharp, sharp cutbacks, back and forth, winding down the steep hill.

The least windy streets are in Kansas, most of the roads are perfectly straight and don't wind around at all. Also some roads in the Mojave Desert are like that.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,801 times
I have just seen windiest citys. Does any one know were the least windiest states or citys are.I have lived in Wyo. and Co.I need to find a place where it is calmer.I can not take the wind anymore.Thank You.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Going by the one list Medford, Oregon looked to be low on wind. The highest monthly average for Medford was June when wind speeds average 5.9 mph. Mississippi looks to be fairly low on wind. Jackson's 8.7 mph, for March, looks to be the highest I see among Mississippi places they list. Elko, Nevada also looks low on wind and Oak Ridge, Tennessee looks to be more mild than Medford.

Wind- Average Wind Speed- (MPH)

I actually like wind myself, it's invigorating to me. Although high winds are bit of a safety hazard with regard to my van. Amarillo, Texas looks to be the windiest metropolitan area they list and I guess it could be too much wind for me, maybe.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Of cities listed as having high average wind speeds my World Almanac lists the following cities as high for maximum wind speed.

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Wichita, Kansas

Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Abilene, TX and Chicago are the windiest cities I've ever been to.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Going by the one list Medford, Oregon looked to be low on wind. The highest monthly average for Medford was June when wind speeds average 5.9 mph. Mississippi looks to be fairly low on wind. Jackson's 8.7 mph, for March, looks to be the highest I see among Mississippi places they list. Elko, Nevada also looks low on wind and Oak Ridge, Tennessee looks to be more mild than Medford.

Wind- Average Wind Speed- (MPH)

I actually like wind myself, it's invigorating to me. Although high winds are bit of a safety hazard with regard to my van. Amarillo, Texas looks to be the windiest metropolitan area they list and I guess it could be too much wind for me, maybe.
Yeah the West Texas wind can get pretty ridiculous. But I know what you mean about wind being kind of nice. In Texas, it gets so hot that having quite a bit of wind can actually be a good thing because it can make it feel cooler outside.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 PM

124 posts, read 326,411 times
The winds blowing across the Dakotas can be pretty brutal, especially in the winter. Fargo, ND and Sioux Falls, SD are windy probably a majority of the time.

Re: West Texas -- I remember being surprised by how windy it was in El Paso when I was there.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:29 PM

614 posts, read 1,763,911 times
Humphreys Peak Arizona has had some high windspeeds some nearly as high as Mount Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City