Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:11 PM

55 posts, read 211,257 times

Advertisements

NYC and the SF Bay Area are comparable in terms of being cultured. So are NY state and CA as a whole, probably.

In terms of education, CA has a terrible public school system, but the best public university system (the UCs) by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
CA REALLY lacks in education when it comes to the rest of the country. CA is at the bottom when it comes to public schools. So I don't know how Californians are that much smarter. I like CA, don't get me wrong, but I just had to say that... People here in NY are probably more cultured as a whole too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 07:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,601,300 times
Quote:
CA REALLY lacks in education when it comes to the rest of the country. CA is at the bottom when it comes to public schools. So I don't know how Californians are that much smarter. I like CA, don't get me wrong, but I just had to say that... People here in NY are probably more cultured as a whole too.
gotta disagree with you there, UC public universities are #1 in the nation. I don't think people in nyc are any more cultured than people in sf for instance.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,795,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
California away from the coasts is generally not all that enlightened. Also, there's a pretty large population of poorly educated immigrants in California.

So on the whole--no, California is not more enlightened than NYC. If you want to compare the Bay Area with NYC, then yea, sure.

Also, Minnesota is a good example of an enlightened state compared to California.
Add places like Iowa, vermont, ct, new hampshire, maine, places like that dwarf california in terms of education.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM

55 posts, read 211,257 times
Not in terms of public universities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Add places like Iowa, vermont, ct, new hampshire, maine, places like that dwarf california in terms of education.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:14 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,795,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy View Post
Not in terms of public universities.
What are you talking about the vast majority of Californian's go to CSU's 400,000 + students, which are notoriously sub par in terms of quality of students. (statistically 50% of incoming freshman take high school english and math because they are not ready for college work)

The UC's student population is less than 200,000. More students enter the CSU and are not at a proficiant college level their freshman year than there are total number of students at all the University Californias (and that includes grad students).

Sorry buddy all the UC's glory can't hide the truth.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,299,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondsinclair View Post
Sure, LA has some superficial people. But as a whole, this state has the most intelligent, interesting, creative, unique people. New York is a great city but the people don't compare to people in California.

NYC is full of sports-loving drones. Cali is full of original people, especially the bay area. People who take pride in being individuals, people who aren't interested in TV and all that sensationalist garbage.

In California you can meet people who are truly liberal, who want to change the world, who actually have *soul* unlike the clones back east. I'm from Virginia originally...The West Coast is definitely where it's at if you're someone who has character and integrity.
First of all you are comparing a single city to the entire state.
Second of all, I am not sure what enlightment really means but in terms of sheer intellectual power from New York Times to Chomsky New York historically dwarfs anything else in the US. Now is New York liberal? Of course. Is it more liberal than other locations? That question reminds me of an old "hollier than thou" argument i.e. pretty absurd.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,639,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
More enlightened ? Having elected Arnold Schwarzenegger their governor ? Having just passed proposition 8? Please.
Yeah, Spitzer was a real winner as New York's governor [I think he lasted all of 6 months before getting busted for paying prostitutes]. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:39 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,639,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Doesn't matter that it passed by a small amount.It passed. And that says a lot about the dominant mentality of the state.
And what's the excuse for electing a bimbo like Schwarzenegger ?
The truth is that once outside of the San Francisco area, California has never exhibited too many signs of enlightenment.

And there are only 2 states that have always,consistently displayed a sense of enlightenment throughout the state( not just in the cities) : Massachusetts and Vermont
The California legislature twice passed gay marriage but Schwarzenegger vetoed it in favor of a judicial decision. The New York legislature has never passed gay marriage because Republicans have too much power in New York [guess it isn't very liberal in New York, huh?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,696,842 times
Quote:
Of course,It's b/c California has the most people which mean more locos in Public Schools.along with locos, you have more smart students who go on to UC, while the locos are in Community college or Cal State.University wise Ca is the best!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,781,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondsinclair View Post
Sure, LA has some superficial people. But as a whole, this state has the most intelligent, interesting, creative, unique people. New York is a great city but the people don't compare to people in California.

NYC is full of sports-loving drones. Cali is full of original people, especially the bay area. People who take pride in being individuals, people who aren't interested in TV and all that sensationalist garbage.

In California you can meet people who are truly liberal, who want to change the world, who actually have *soul* unlike the clones back east. I'm from Virginia originally...The West Coast is definitely where it's at if you're someone who has character and integrity.
WOW, it takes the entire state of California (38 million?) to compare to New York City's (8 million)? Quite pathetic, although I would say that's a massive compliment.

I hate to break it to you but Los Angeles San Diego will never be at New York City level when it comes to sophistication. SF could be on the same level as New York when it comes to it's englightened populance. Los Angeles and San Diego? LOL. Most of California is crass.

Last edited by Americanboy; 05-03-2009 at 10:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City