Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Frankfurt or Chicago
Chicago 21 87.50%
Frankfurt 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:16 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

This city seems very similar to Chicago in nature to me... the industry, the markets, infrastructure, river, airports all in the middle of the country. Both plenty of German influence.

With Munich and Berlin on the sides being say NYC and LA driving culture more.

So which city does it up better?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 09:36 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Default Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
This city seems very similar to Chicago in nature to me... the industry, the markets, infrastructure, river, airports all in the middle of the country. Both plenty of German influence.

With Munich and Berlin on the sides being say NYC and LA driving culture more.

So which city does it up better?

Maybe you see a small similarity between Frankfurt to Chicago? The Hessian city cannot compare! Where is the giant skyline, the street grid, the lake? And vice versa Chicago does not have the hills or the historic winding streets with dense 5-6 story buidings like Frankfurt.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Maybe you see a small similarity between Frankfurt to Chicago? The Hessian city cannot compare! Where is the giant skyline, the street grid, the lake? And vice versa Chicago does not have the hills or the historic winding streets with dense 5-6 story buidings like Frankfurt.

Most importantly, how can you compare a city with just a 670,095 residents to Chicago? C'mon. Pick a worthy oponenent. I voted for Chicago before I realized how absurd this contest is. However I bet Frankfurt has 50 times better roads than Chicago and I am not talking about Autobahn here but the quality of city streets and highways.

Why don't you try Randstad (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Hague) instead? Metro population: 7.5M.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randstad

Last edited by dementor; 03-29-2009 at 09:56 AM..

Old 03-29-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Most importantly, how can you compare a city with just a 670,095 residents to Chicago? C'mon. Pick a worthy oponenent. I voted for Chicago before I realized how absurd this contest is. However I bet Frankfurt has 50 times better roads than Chicago and I am not talking about Autobahn here but the quality of city streets and highways.

Why don't you try Randstad (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Hague) instead? Metro population: 7.5M.

Randstad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I understand your point but that is up to Grapico, the OP. In any case population is not everything when comparing cities. As an American you should know, that unfortunately part of our urban population is underclass, and actually have a NEGATIVE contribution to our cities.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:09 AM

BTW, Grapico, that is some GIANT train station that Frankfurt has!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:38 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
I understand your point but that is up to Grapico, the OP. In any case population is not everything when comparing cities. As an American you should know, that unfortunately part of our urban population is underclass, and actually have a NEGATIVE contribution to our cities.
As a TRAVELLED American I have to agree with your last comment .
I think comparing European cities to American is not fair due to size (European cities are not as large because of their age and lack of land to expand, sprawl is not possible at all) but it is also unfair to American cities from the perspective of infrastructure like public transportation and overall quality of services provided. Nevertheless comparing cities that different in population is not fair.

I will start the thread Chicago vs. Randstad

Old 03-29-2009, 12:01 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
exactly... I've been to Frankfurt 3 times and felt that there were more "city dwellers" actually using the downtown area, in Chicago a lot of people even in city limits seem to stick to the vast ghetto areas except the north side. dementor agreed... didn't realize the population was half... just more on importance such as finance/transport/similar city build up with airport hubs and river going through, overall similar contributions to their specific country in importance from a comparative standpoint. I'm pretty sure frankfurt actually beats Chicago in financial terms, but could be wrong.

Also in the original alpha world cities...

A. ALPHA WORLD CITIES (full service world cities)

12: London, New York, Paris, Tokyo
10: Chicago, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Milan, Singapore

You are right, Randstad is probably a better comparison, I haven't explored it enough to comment, just a few days in Amsterdam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City