Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Paris 75 56.39%
Chicago 58 43.61%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:24 PM

9,255 posts, read 13,393,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I'm not confusing anything, it's just my opinion. I place a higher value on history.

As for Eurous1, wow he spent less than a day in Chicago, four days in NYC and less than a week in Paris...and thinks he can laugh at Chicagoans. Maybe he needs to travel a bit more, and keep an open mind. I've been all over the world and I've never been to a bad city because every place is different and I'm just fortunate that I get to see so many unique places. Maybe he just needs to learn how to be a less closed-minded and judgmental traveler. And spend more time seeing things instead of posting stupid polls.
IMHO and this is coming from someone who is a history buff, you ARE confusing history and culture. I love history myself but I would never agree that a city along the Tigris and Euphrates river valley has more "culture" than Paris or Chicago just because it it older.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:30 PM

734 posts, read 2,061,109 times
Yeah, I love history, too, but someplace doesn't just become more cultural because Mozart was born there. Elvis was born in Tupelo- does that make it a cultural site? Or is Mozart being older and more steeped in history make Mozart automatically better than Elvis anyway?

Old 03-22-2009, 01:57 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,573,845 times
Hmm..this is an interesting discussion about what equals culture. Is religion culture? Then we could make an argument for Mecca, Vatican City and Jerusalem as cultural capitals...I mean, more artwork and music has been influenced by religion than anything else. If culture means education, enlightenment and knowledge then history plays a major role. Is it global influence, and if so is it just a snapshot in time or a cumalative effect? Even the Merriam-Webster defenition of culture leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

By the way, Salzburg is not just the one-off birthplace of Mozart, but a city that continues to embrace its importance in the world of classical music with a world-renowned symphony orchestra and famous music festivals. It's a must-see for music lovers.

Salzburg: Culture - TripAdvisor

Old 03-22-2009, 02:03 PM

734 posts, read 2,061,109 times
I know Salzburg is much more than just where Mozart was born- my point was just saying "Someone famous [on a cultural level] was born here, so this place is very important culturally" is faulty.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:10 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,573,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I know Salzburg is much more than just where Mozart was born- my point was just saying "Someone famous [on a cultural level] was born here, so this place is very important culturally" is faulty.
Fine, my wording was wrong. Instead of "the town where Mozart was born" I should have said "the town of Mozart." Memphis is certainly a more important cultural site thanks to Elvis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City