Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 10:47 AM

228 posts, read 594,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
When I say that Phoenix is pretty much Los Angeles without anything that makes Los Angeles enjoyable, I am referring primarily to Phoenix's lack of recreation (besides hiking), nightlife, entertainment for people of all ages, and diversity. I will stick up for Phoenix when someone launches into uncontrollable fits of verbal diarrhea about the area, especially when it is clear that they have never been here. Still, the pollution, the general lack of sophistication in many respects, and the repeated failed attempts to make Central Phoenix hip while wasting tons of money, are all elements I can do without.

You forgot to mention two additional positive attributes of L.A. which Phoenix lacks: the beach and year-round great weather. Those are two biggies. OTOH, Phoenix is much more livable, in my opinion, than L.A. is. The cost of living, taxes, traffic and overcrowding in L.A. are simply unbearable and would prevent me from ever living there. It is a fun place to visit, though.

As far as El Paso is concerned, I've been there once and I have to say that, based on my rather extensive travels throughout this part of the country, El Paso is IMO the hands-down ugliest city in the southwest. I mean, just a completely disgusting, grimy, crime-ridden, culturally devoid wasteland was my basic impression. I will say that from a strictly aesthetic standpoint, Phoenix isn't much to look at, either, although it does have its nicer areas. It's essentially flat, spread-out and spread-thin. I would agree with the posters above who prefer Tucson over Phoenix; I do, as well, for the same reasons. Tucson just seems to me like it has more of its own unique identity; it also seems to have "preserved" more of its desert environment as it's developed. The city seems actually integrated into its surroundings, rather than paved over it as most of Phoenix is. Tucson also is a bit cooler in the summer; not by much, but every little bit helps when you're talking about 100 degree+ heat.

People who move to Phoenix b/c they love the desert, I have trouble understanding- it's been almost completely built over, at least in the city proper. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot, as the cliche goes. The only thing left to remind you of what it once was is, of course, the climate, and those little brown "mountains" you see in the distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,705,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Phoenix is very cookie cutter city but does have it's areas of uniqueness.

Mesa is a suburb and looks like suburbs look...

Overall, I think Tucson is a better looking city then Phoenix or El Paso.

How I rank the cities of the southwest (In terms of how it looks). I left off towns like Sedona,Az and Ruidoso, NM because they are small towns...

1. Santa Fe/Taos
2. San Antonio
3. Las Cruces/Mesilla
4. Tucson
5. Scottsdale
6. Albuquerque
7. Phoenix
8. El Paso
...Wow, El Paso is dead last!

Old 09-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
As far as El Paso is concerned, I've been there once and I have to say that, based on my rather extensive travels throughout this part of the country, El Paso is IMO the hands-down ugliest city in the southwest. I mean, just a completely disgusting, grimy, crime-ridden, culturally devoid wasteland was my basic impression. I will say that from a strictly aesthetic standpoint, Phoenix isn't much to look at, either.
Oh, don't hold back now...

Old 09-30-2008, 07:40 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,609,958 times
El Paso is not crime ridden, most likely the Safest city in the Southwest...

Old 09-30-2008, 07:42 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,609,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
...Wow, El Paso is dead last!
Yup...El Paso is a pretty ugly city. Don't mean to offend...but it isn't even close to the cities in NM.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I agree with you there. The established neighborhoods in Phoenix are very nice. Sunnyslope and Arcadia definitely have the feel that I would like more neighborhoods in Phoenix to have. However, the random streets throughout Phoenix that are filled with these tile-roofed, stucco-clad huts do not do anything to enhance the city. If there was some architectural variety even, I could accept that. Oh well.
Different perspectives but we came to the same conclusions.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:38 AM

228 posts, read 594,470 times
Quote:
Oh, don't hold back now...
Oh, I'm not one to mince words... and those are my true feelings about the place. It seems I have some company here that share the same sentiments...

Old 10-05-2008, 05:04 PM

How about Las Cruces and El Paso for comparison...

Old 10-14-2008, 10:43 PM

105 posts, read 326,328 times
Quote:
How about Las Cruces and El Paso for comparison...

Las Cruces is basically a smaller El Paso with worse traffic if you can believe that...but it's true....my 28 years in El Paso had me back and forth between the cities for work. In other words....another dump. El Paso is not crime ridden in the least as one poster said. It's safer than a baby's crib at midnight. It IS ugly, but not crime ridden. I think it was voted the 6th most safest city in the nation. Surprisingly being on the border and all.....but there are few and I mean very few areas you can't walk at night(and if you're from them....you can walk them)....El Paso is a city of wanna be tough guys, wanna be gangsta's(there are some old cholo gangs around....but they don't do **** out side their neighborhoods)....the scariest thing is the violence from across the border..that has spilled into El Paso...i.e. the corrupt cop killings and drug cartel **** that has happened recently.....other than that, the lack of things to do, the lack of jobs, the lack of any beauty in the city, you're golden.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM

10 posts, read 46,060 times
Phoenix is TEN times better than El Paso. In terms of the two economies of the cities, El Paso can't even come close to Phoenix. Then again, Phoenix is much bigger, so that makes sense. El Paso is a DUMP, and although Phoenix is basically one big suburb, compared to El Paso, it's a wonderland. As for Tucson, it's about mid size so their not as many jobs or entertainment there as there is in Phoenix. In my opinion, Phoenix is the best of the three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City