Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is the capital of the south?
Atlanta 555 53.42%
New Orleans 28 2.69%
Houston 113 10.88%
Dallas 41 3.95%
Miami 39 3.75%
Austin 8 0.77%
San Antonio 12 1.15%
Charlotte 34 3.27%
other 48 4.62%
there is no capital 161 15.50%
Voters: 1039. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:08 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
i can't argue with that
Good...You shouldnt...

Old 09-21-2008, 11:27 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
The South, as the large, expansive region that it is, has four cities that are more or less of equal stature: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami. Dallas and Houston are in Texas, so they are somewhat in their own little word, and at the edge of what's generally considered the South (that South/Southwestern border). Miami's culture, IMO, can hardly be considered Southern due to the strong Latin American influence there. So that leaves Atlanta, which is the more accessible of the four, has the strongest Southern culture in several respects, and is clearly farther ahead than other sourrounding cities. So if I had to give the title to one city, it would definitely be Atlanta.

If we're going to call Richmond the "Capital of Dixie," then it has to share that title with Montgomery, AL. Either way, the appellation is pretty antiquated for Richmond.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:39 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The South, as the large, expansive region that it is, has four cities that are more or less of equal stature: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami. Dallas and Houston are in Texas, so they are somewhat in their own little word, and at the edge of what's generally considered the South (that South/Southwestern border). Miami's culture, IMO, can hardly be considered Southern due to the strong Latin American influence there. So that leaves Atlanta, which is the more accessible of the four, has the strongest Southern culture in several respects, and is clearly farther ahead than other sourrounding cities. So if I had to give the title to one city, it would definitely be Atlanta.

If we're going to call Richmond the "Capital of Dixie," then it has to share that title with Montgomery, AL. Either way, the appellation is pretty antiquated for Richmond.
in order to claim such a title it would need to have some sort of influence on the rest of the region. i just don't think Atlanta has any influence outside of Georgia. do people living in Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Arkansas or any other southern state care about or even know what's going on in Atlanta?

Atlanta is a great city, but no better than any other southern city. i think the south still looks to New York City and Los Angles when it comes to influence. no city in the south could be called the New York City or Los Angeles of the south.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
do people living in Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Arkansas or any other southern state care about or even know what's going on in Atlanta?
Yes, particularly the Carolinas, Alabama, and portions of Tennessee. All day long.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:07 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,850,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Yes, particularly the Carolinas, Alabama, and portions of Tennessee. All day long.
what does Atlanta have that other major cities in the south don't have? i would think that people in the carolinas would care more about Charlotte and people in Tennessee would care more about Nashville or Memphis. is Atlanta that much better than those cities?

Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
what does Atlanta have that other major cities in the south don't have? i would think that people in the carolinas would care more about Charlotte and people in Tennessee would care more about Nashville or Memphis. is Atlanta that much better than those cities?
Hmmm...let's see:

1) World's busiest airport
2) Much better shopping
3) Large conventions and trade shows
4) Lots of tourist attractions all in one city (including world's largest aquarium)
5) Concerts and special events
6) Major league professional basketball, baseball, football, and hockey teams

Don't misunderstand: I'm not saying that neighboring states/cities revolve around Atlanta, because that's hardly the case. But you really underestimate the influence that Atlanta has on surrounding cities and states. Also consider firms that have regional or national headquarters in Atlanta that conduct a lot of business in neighboring cities/states. For instance, some of the newer development happening here in Charlotte and in Nashville has been by Novare Group, an Atlanta firm. A lot of the new residential and office construction happening in Columbia, SC has come about because Holder Properties out of Atlanta have invested there in a way that local developers have not.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:15 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Atlanta.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:57 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
With the choices given and the last one is a cop-out I would have to go with Atlanta.
Mainly based on the location.
Well and I really really really don't like Miami.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:54 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
in order to claim such a title it would need to have some sort of influence on the rest of the region. i just don't think Atlanta has any influence outside of Georgia. do people living in Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Arkansas or any other southern state care about or even know what's going on in Atlanta?

Atlanta is a great city, but no better than any other southern city. i think the south still looks to New York City and Los Angles when it comes to influence. no city in the south could be called the New York City or Los Angeles of the south.
You would be wrong. To people in the Southeast, Atlanta is IT. When I lived in New Orleans even, people talked about going to Atlanta a lot, for vacations, road trips, events, etc. Students from surrounding states --and even Texas-- are drawn to Atlanta for college, as they have many good schools in the vicinity, including Emory, Georgia Tech, Agnes Scott, and highly-regarded HBCU's like Morehouse and Spelman. Dallas and Houston can't compete with that. Some had bounced around between Miami, New Orleans, and Atlanta during and after college. When I lived in New Orleans, Texas was never on their radar.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:11 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,641,799 times
[quote=westhou;5367233]in order to claim such a title it would need to have some sort of influence on the rest of the region. i just don't think Atlanta has any influence outside of Georgia. do people living in Louisiana, Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Arkansas or any other southern state care about or even know what's going on in Atlanta?
quote]

Fact: People in east TN (even Knoxville) talk about Atlanta a lot. People in South Carolina (Greenville) aren't that far from Atlanta and of course folks from Alabama like our place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City