Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:33 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,533,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowningintherain2 View Post
I would choose LA,SD, or SF over Houston anyday!
Why would you leave a great city like Vancouver for LA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 PM

428 posts, read 1,188,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Why would you leave a great city like Vancouver for LA?
Vancouver is a great city, beautiful and vibrant. I have spent a great deal of time in Southern California and have friends and family there. I am tired of the endless rain here and I would like the change Besides, there are plenty of nice places in the L.A area, I most likely won't be living in the city of LA. Vancouver will always be "home" though

Old 07-31-2008, 12:37 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,374,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yes, maybe sweetie doesn't want to talk about Houston since it is the armpit of the nation. Who goes on vacation to Texas? Who mentions Houston when talking about entertainment\ fun things to do? Most people react when somebody mentions Houston & Texas & it isn't very positive. Yeah our president's papa lives in Houston & suppose our Texas idiot president will return to where he knows he won't be challenged mentally [lots of incurious people in Houston]. Not a great place for "curious" kids since "creationism" is taught in public schools & teachers are allowed to spank/ hit kids.

Anyone been to Houston anytime of the year? Summer is swamp weather w/ huge bugs/mosquitoes. So humid nobody goes outside. In winter it is dreary w/ brown lawns & leafless trees b/c even though Houston is well south of Los Angeles it gets really cold since Texas is a flat state allowing freezing Canadian air masses to reach the gulf coast. So you can't plant tender palms & subtropical trees that flower in winter in California.

Houston the center of oil refineries that pollute the air & water. No other major city in the U.S. would ever allow such business so close to where people live.

Houston is where Tom Delay [Republican who left office in shame] lives & where some of the most radical evangelicals live & spew their hatred.

The saying is "don't throw rocks if you live in a glass house." Too bad sweetie doesn't think ahead & how he desperately doesn't want to draw attention to his own town & state [b/c for most Americans it is a place to avoid & fly over fast
You sure as hell are some big talker, aren't ya? You should listen to yourself talk-- you sound like the biggest uneducated hick of them all. A left-wing hick. I don't live in Houston but I'm here for several weeks on a corporate training program and I LOVE it here. This is actually an incredible city with incredible people. Did I mention awesome food! I'm actually thinking about seeing if I can transfer here. NOthing against L.A. you don't see me trash talking them, but I'm starting to think Houston really is one of America's best cities. So i'd suggest you keep your big mouth shut and stick to the main topic.

Now, I'd still go with LA over Mexico City just because it's still in the USA. But I would like to visit Mexico city some day.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:02 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,643,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight rambler View Post
You sure as hell are some big talker, aren't ya? You should listen to yourself talk-- you sound like the biggest uneducated hick of them all. A left-wing hick. I don't live in Houston but I'm here for several weeks on a corporate training program and I LOVE it here. This is actually an incredible city with incredible people. Did I mention awesome food! I'm actually thinking about seeing if I can transfer here. NOthing against L.A. you don't see me trash talking them, but I'm starting to think Houston really is one of America's best cities. So i'd suggest you keep your big mouth shut and stick to the main topic.

Now, I'd still go with LA over Mexico City just because it's still in the USA. But I would like to visit Mexico city some day.
If you have been following the posters threads than you know sweetie is going out of her way to trash talk Los Angeles & California. I don't put down other cities unless I feel the poster needs a taste of her own medicine. All the comments about Houston/Texas are, of-course, exaggerations but the stereo-type insults that posters like sweetie [not to be confused with tweedy or twit] or the rabbit are merely to provoke others [esp some lame people from Chicago].

Old 07-31-2008, 06:40 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,865,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
If you have been following the posters threads than you know sweetie is going out of her way to trash talk Los Angeles & California. I don't put down other cities unless I feel the poster needs a taste of her own medicine. All the comments about Houston/Texas are, of-course, exaggerations but the stereo-type insults that posters like sweetie [not to be confused with tweedy or twit] or the rabbit are merely to provoke others [esp some lame people from Chicago].
Seems like a waste of time to dredge up all this vitriol about Houston just because you didn't like some of Sweetie's posts.

I've never been to Mexico City but I grew up in LA and I like it there. I would never move back, however, unless I became incredibly wealthy.

I live in Houston now and I like Houston, too. Yes we have heat, humidity, bugs, traffic, and pollution. Clearly that doesn't tell the whole story or there wouldn't be so many people happily living here. Houston gets terrible press but for anyone able to look past that and see the beauty and the good energy here, Houston is a wonderful place to live. Not a tourist trap, to be sure, but there are parts of Houston and Houston suburbs that offer very nice quality of life for residents. Now back to the topic at hand...

Old 07-31-2008, 06:42 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,756,994 times
I would have to pick LA...no desire to live in Mexico, plus I would have all I could possibly want of Mexico right there in LA

Old 07-31-2008, 07:57 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,533,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Seems like a waste of time to dredge up all this vitriol about Houston just because you didn't like some of Sweetie's posts.

I've never been to Mexico City but I grew up in LA and I like it there. I would never move back, however, unless I became incredibly wealthy.

I live in Houston now and I like Houston, too. Yes we have heat, humidity, bugs, traffic, and pollution. Clearly that doesn't tell the whole story or there wouldn't be so many people happily living here. Houston gets terrible press but for anyone able to look past that and see the beauty and the good energy here, Houston is a wonderful place to live. Not a tourist trap, to be sure, but there are parts of Houston and Houston suburbs that offer very nice quality of life for residents. Now back to the topic at hand...
I know, some people are so bitter! It is a fair comparison LA vs Mexico City, it's not like I compared LA to Bahgdad Iraq!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:06 AM

3,263 posts, read 9,082,600 times
Houston is the most underrated city in America, possibly the world. Houston is one of America's last friontiers cities

Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,462,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
Los Angeles and Mexico City have a lot in common. Some of you refuse to believe it.

Why is that?
I've been to both, and I don't agree.

Downtown LA is full of chicanos, but chicano culture, although based in Mexican culture is something different, kind of trying to compare spanish with portuguese, they both have the same root, but they aren't exactly the same.

I found LA cool, although too strict for my taste.

Mexico city kicks butt, the only flaw is it's heavy traffic, but it's a pretty cool city, that never sleeps, and it is full of interesting places, and things you'd never find in LA like the ruins of what was once of the most advanced cultures during it's time, or the classical buildings and neighboorhoods that were built during the colonial period that shed beauty and history, you also have ultramodern skyscrapped filled state of the art neighboorhoods that were just built, thousands of awesome museums, some beautiful natural parks, enjoy the murals that were created by world famous mexican muralists, you can go to one of those classical neighboorhoods and enjoy a nice weekend surrounded by beauty and nice people who goes to enjoy the ancient plazas.

some pictures

http://www.abuaf.com/estacion/civia/civia6.jpg (broken link)

http://www.valyval.com.mx/proyectos/antara_polanco/antara1.JPG (broken link)

http://www.aobregon.df.gob.mx/delegacion/pueblosycolonias/FOTOS/cruz.jpg (broken link)

http://www.aobregon.df.gob.mx/delegacion/pueblosycolonias/FOTOS/sanangel.jpg (broken link)

http://www.delegacionbenitojuarez.gob.mx/site_resources/photos/00000048-original.jpeg (broken link)
http://www.mexicoartistico.com.mx/Xochimilco.jpg (broken link)
http://www.posadavienahotel.com/ciudad/xochi/trajineras%20xochimilco.JPG (broken link)

http://solcatalunya.com/historia/images/muralDiego.gif (broken link)

Last edited by Travelling fella; 07-31-2008 at 09:10 AM..

Old 07-31-2008, 09:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,523,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I've been to both, and I don't agree.

Downtown LA is full of chicanos, but chicano culture, although based in Mexican culture is something different, kind of trying to compare spanish with portuguese, they both have the same root, but they aren't exactly the same.

I found LA cool, although too strict for my taste.

Mexico city kicks butt, the only flaw is it's heavy traffic, but it's a pretty cool city, that never sleeps, and it is full of interesting places, and things you'd never find in LA like the ruins of what was once of the most advanced cultures during it's time.
I dunno, there's some of that in L.A. too, such as comparing the neighborhood my dad grew up in in the late 50s/early 60s versus its current state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City